Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New user, signals to dig for silver?

Hi, I bought a e-trac and have used it for a little over a week so far. I have done well on clad and V-nickels down to 3" in depth using the factory set coin mode. I have been digging all strong signals that read the documented FE-CO coin id's (i.e. quarter at 12-37, dime at 12-44, etc.), that have tones that does not change when I sweep over the target at different directions. I am hunting in an area where I am very certain there are silver in depths greater than the depths I have been finding clad (to 3" in depth). My question is. Am I overlooking older, deeper coins when I am only digging targets that have a "solid" coin I.D. both in the FE and CO mode and consistent tone when I sweep over the target at different areas? Or should I concentrate more in the CO-numbers in the silver range with less emphasis on the FE numbers? Should I only dig the signals that are consistent from all directions?

Advise is very much appreciated!
Thanks!
Swayne

I am not sure about you but if i get a good signal one way and choppy the other. i dig anyways if it falls in the range of coins..

I found a merc on my SE that was around 8-10 inches and the it really really choppy.. and the only reason i dug it was becuase it happen to fall into the coin range on the Smartfind window..

I just got an e-trac myself. and my motto is.. "when in doubt. Dig it anyways.."

Swayne,

Don't worry too much about the FE number. It will vary from 11 or 12 down to 24 or more. If the CO signal is between about 35 and 47, I would be digging it, especially if it is repeatable from different directions. Shallow 37s or 38s are probably new memorial pennies, and shallow 45s are probably 60s to 80s memorial pennies, but the rest are gonna be worth digging. Just keep digging, and you will soon get a feeling for what you are seeing on the screen. The E-Trac won't steer you wrong.

HH!

Bruce

B-Ruce said:
Swayne,

Don't worry too much about the FE number. It will vary from 11 or 12 down to 24 or more. If the CO signal is between about 35 and 47, I would be digging it, especially if it is repeatable from different directions. Shallow 37s or 38s are probably new memorial pennies, and shallow 45s are probably 60s to 80s memorial pennies, but the rest are gonna be worth digging. Just keep digging, and you will soon get a feeling for what you are seeing on the screen. The E-Trac won't steer you wrong.

HH!

Bruce

Yep! 99% of the time I ignore the FE number. Silver screams that high tone. Just a warning though I have dug two silver halves now that came in at 44, and many silver dimes at 45. The tone is high, but the CO number is lower than you'd expect for that high tone. For just starting out, focus on the repeatable high tones most, an dig some iffies just to satisfy yourself.

Corpsegrinder has some good advice, when in doubt, dig. Add that to my two maxims:

"It don't cost nothin' to dig."
and
"The best discriminator is a shovel."