Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New user with questions...

Ray Hogan

Got my new Etrac and Sun Ray probe. I've read Andy's book multiple times, watched all the You Tube videos, and read the forums. Still have at least three more weeks on crutches with the heel I broke back on January 7th. I'll be putting the detector together and playing with it indoors, but it's been a long winter. Anyway, I've noticed that a lot of Etracs have had the grip "re-wrapped". Why and what is being used? Also, why does a smaller coil do better in trashy sites? I understand about having fewer targets detected at once, but since DD coils detect along the center "strip", doesn't a smaller coiler just eliminate "length" from heel to toe of the coil where detection would take place? Thanks for all the help, this is a great forum. Ray in Waco, TX.

Hi Ray,

I can at least attempt to answer your first ?. The foam grip gets muddy when you grab onto it with your wet, muddy hands or gloves. I wrapped mine first with seran wrap, then black grip tape and finally with electrical tape. Some have used tennis racket tape and say that it will peel off the foam (or whatever it is) without tearing it. I don't know. I live a long way from anywhere that sells tennis racket tape. I figure the seran wrap will keep the tape from sticking to the foam. Rbholt had a post/picture where he did his in leather a while back.

As far as your second ?. I think you answered it. Just less to listen to. Plus I've noticed on big objects (like an aluminum can) the pro coil can sense it even though your not actually over the top of it, and it does give of a very good signal. The smashed kinds give of a dime signal 12-46. I've also heard or read a smaller coil allows you a little closer to above ground metal objects (AGMO:cool:). Things like swingsets, fences, playground equipment.

Why not tape that new E-Trac onto one of your crutches and go exploring!!!!!!:poke::thumbup::biggrin:

Hope you heal up fast!!! No pun intended:rofl:

NebTrac

Someone may correct me on this but from my best understanding the reason for using a smaller coil is they can work better in trashy areas to help from picking up multiple signals at one time. Also, they seem to ground balance better and get a little better depth. I am sure someone with more experience can give you better explanation because right now I know just enough to be dangerous as they say. lol. Here is a link that may help

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/excelerator/EXcelleratorMain.htm

Got my tennis racket tape at Wal-Mart. It's just a bit bigger and softer to grip all day. Sort of the same difference between a padded steering wheel and one of the old steel molded in plastic steering wheels. Maybe not a good analogy. Too young to know what I was talking about. Not a put down. I just gotta understand that I am an old duffer. Jim