Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New V3i ....complicated but I am just starting

norbyx

Well today is my second day out with the V3i. I have to say it took me 2 days to start to understand what the detector was telling me. I was confident that since it wasn't my first detector I would catch it's language pretty fast. I was wrong.

Let me start from the beginning. I got the detector and spend one whole morning watching the instructional DVD (that I had basically watched before on youtube) to be familiar with it's capabilities. I grabbed the detector with me while watching the DVD and repeated every thing I saw the guy do on it. After that I was pretty confident in accessing the menus and what they were for. I wanted to go out and see what it could actually do. So the first day out I didn't know if

I was metal detecting or just starting there like a fool trying to figure out what was all the information the machine was giving me. On the video every thing looked easy, every signal was just perfect, a few explanations on the bad signals what all there was. First day out I hunted about 2 hours and dug up just ONE coin. I just couldn't understand it.

I decided to call it of, go home, start all over again, watch the DVD again, and then head out the next day (today).

Well today I decided to go to a new park that I had never been to so
I could test the V3i further. (Big mistake). I went to a park that I don't know if it was the soil condition or that there were strong RFI present but the MD was acting erratic at best. I blamed it to the park and decided to pick up my stuff and go to a near park I have detected with several machines in the past.

I started detecting, and again the results weren't good. At that point I thought that the fault wasn't on the park or the soil, the problem was in the detector. I thought of a solution. the only solution I had was to actually reset the program I had changed and start all over from zero. So I restored the factory settings for the C&J program and went to the factory settings. I than tweaked the program a bit on the sounds, and off I was detecting again. FINALLY the detector was doing what I wanted, it was responding to the coins as in the video and it was responding to the trash items telling me they were trash (still had to dig'em all to understand it's language). Well after another 2hours in this last park I called it off for the day. I had my 6 coins and two of them were 1948. I was happy to see that the detector was performing good after all. I just need to give it some more time. It is not an easy detector to be with. But I know I will prevail.

I've had mine since they first came out and I'm about convinced it's too much detector for me. However, I really like the wireless headphones, the three frequency and three color readout, and White's incredible customer service, so I probably will not change. I'm not dumb, but when it comes to all the technical stuff I just can't seem to get my head around it. Honestly, I think I would probably be better off with a different detector, but I'm stubborn enough to insist that I'm going to persevere with this one. In the meantime I'm sticking to the presets and not changing too much, which sort of defeats the purpose of having such a versatile detector.

Actually the C&J with VCO ON and the HI Pro factory programs are very good as is. All you really have to do is make your personal preference changes and you are set for a lot of fun.

Yeah indeed today I just used the C&J and I did activate the VCO. Hi Pro still have to test that one. Tomorrow I plan to go out and MD all morning in a prooven park, there are a lot of coins there so I will see hot it behaves.

When you get to the point where you are comfortable with and trust the V3i, I think you will be very pleased.......:biggrin:

I am quite sure that I will be pleased when I undestand it... I am already pleased now that I don't... so.. :rofl:

I too have always thought the v was too much machine for me but this last year I have gotten used to it I guess and everything seems to be going so much better. A little advice from someone who probably shouldn't be giving it is, sometimes less is much better.In parks here a lot of times I am running below presets and things come out of the ground. Bill

It's so funny that the V's start out being such a learning thing and when you look back, all you see is the simplicity of it all with more learning ahead. (In a comfort zone is the thing.) Can you say "great toy".