Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

new v3i user finds...

fishandchips

Hello, just got my v3i on thursday. Took it out friday,saturday and sunday. 4 hours total. Found alot of clad, a couple of tokens, a sterling pendant,a small, but very heavy piece of metal. The black looking coin is an 1806 (i think)half cent coin. Can anyone suggest how to clean it. This is the oldest coin I have found . Thanks for looking.

Good going.:clapping: Our resident coin expert will be answering soon.:thumbup:

I'm not the expert but your 1806 doesn't look quite right to be a Draped Bust half cent, maybe better pictures of both sides would help. A Draped Bust should be 23.5 mm in diameter and weigh a little less than 5.5. grams, 2mm thick with a plain edge.

1.55 mm thick,4.3 grams, 23.1 across. I was able to clean it a little with water. I can now make out a very faint 1806 , in the center of the back side alf. This coin doesnt line up when you flip it over like modern coins do. The head is offset to the ribbon on the back. I only wet the coin and put it in the freezer a few times to release the dirt. Any ideas to clean it better would be a big help. Thanks

It sounds/looks like a foreign coin or a colonial copper but I'm not too smart in that dept........:spin: Due to the condition of the coin, you really don't have much to lose by more aggressive cleaning IMHO. Soap and water with a toothbrush would work, hot peroxide baths or even electrolysis would get some of the gunk off. When you are done cleaning, put some oil on it and let it soak. When you get a better picture of both sides, a picture in the Whatsit forum should get you an ID.

Good luck

Howdy fishandchips--

Very nice finds! Your old copper looks like it is a Half Cent. The variation in weight or diameter can be attributed to the use of cut down spoiled cent blanks. They had to be very frugal with their materials in those days. The 1806 Half Cent has 4 varieties all based on the position and or size of the 6 or the presence or absence of stems on the reverse. There are two scarce or rare varieties: Breen 1548 and Breen 1549. Due to the amount of corrosion it would be extremely difficult to determine, from a photo, which variety you have. As far as cleaning your coin, I wouldn't go any farther than the toothbrush and dish soap and an olive oil coating as Larry suggested. If you wanted it it be professionally conserved, slabbed and the correct attribution, NGC could hook you up. It might cost you $50-$100 for the service and may or may not be worth it. Whatever you do with your coin, it's a great find:clapping: Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks blind squirrel. The picture is poor because I had to lower the quality to upload them. Its the small 6, when you hold the coin you can see that it is a half cent. All in all I just wanted to show what the v3i found that my past machines couldnt. Thanks again.