Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New vid talking about iron bias by Andy Sabisch

Super vid. Thanks for sharing it. Most of us already knew that there are no magic settings to get every good target out in any situation but this video makes it so very clear.

I wish he could have addressed the core issue better but I understand that he is not an engineer for Nokta. The best I understand from Dilek is that the machine had essentially a 0 iron bias initially and what I think maybe happened is that because of this the coil was likely nulling on the good target because it was overwhelmed by how close the iron was. * within 2" and this was occuring from both directions. I just saw her video today and it seems they are now adding the iron bias setting - Of course as we know from both Andy and Dilek is that this setting can be... if not used correctly a bad thing - actually notching out good targets. - I would hope this is only true for low to mid conductors? What I mean by that is if you have a iron bias scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the highest you can set it then there should really be no option to disc out a U.S. Dime or Quarter. Everyone understand that there are iron targets that must be dug with all machines. Especially if the iron target is circular in nature.

It seems to me that Iron Bias is essentially another way for Discriminating out low VDI numbers?

The part I would like to understand better is why other machines are able to pass the test iffy signals did without even having a specific iron bias setting. Maybe those machines have a default software iron bias setting that just works but is limited by not allowing the user to change the setting. So.. Essentially what I am wondering is if the LEGEND had a default iron bias setting in the software that was a bit higher it likely would have passed the Iffy test and no one would have been the wiser. For example my XP ORX does not have a specific IRON BIAS setting but it have no problem with this test both the iron gives an iron audio tone and the target gives a tone and this functions on default programs up to and sometime including when the iron is touching the target. I was able to improve the ability for a 15 year old V3i to perform this test just by adjusting recovery speed.. Losing depth of course- so I am wondering if in the past many machines had this "iron bias" built into the recovery speed settings or the recovery speed just helped compensate for the default or no iron bias many machines have?

Maybe someone can shed some light on this topic -

Air test gives a general idea what a detector can do.
If the detector can't transmit a magnetic wave let's say 10" in an air-test
How will it transmit a signal 10" in the ground with resistance?
There this pesky thing called the law of physics.
I have never found a target deeper than what a detector air tested most of the time
it's 3-4 " less than a detector air-tested unless the detecting situation is perfect after a rain, halo effect etc.....
which most of the time is 1-2" less than the detector air tested, but never more than a detector air tested.
I been detecting 30+ years and used almost all major brand detectors.

Finally, a cogent discussion and video on iron bias. Thank you!

I wish he could have addressed the core issue better but I understand that he is not an engineer for Nokta. The best I understand from Dilek is that the machine had essentially a 0 iron bias initially and what I think maybe happened is that because of this the coil was likely nulling on the good target because it was overwhelmed by how close the iron was. * within 2" and this was occuring from both directions. I just saw her video today and it seems they are now adding the iron bias setting - Of course as we know from both Andy and Dilek is that this setting can be... if not used correctly a bad thing - actually notching out good targets. - I would hope this is only true for low to mid conductors? What I mean by that is if you have a iron bias scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the highest you can set it then there should really be no option to disc out a U.S. Dime or Quarter. Everyone understand that there are iron targets that must be dug with all machines. Especially if the iron target is circular in nature.

It seems to me that Iron Bias is essentially another way for Discriminating out low VDI numbers?

The part I would like to understand better is why other machines are able to pass the test iffy signals did without even having a specific iron bias setting. Maybe those machines have a default software iron bias setting that just works but is limited by not allowing the user to change the setting. So.. Essentially what I am wondering is if the LEGEND had a default iron bias setting in the software that was a bit higher it likely would have passed the Iffy test and no one would have been the wiser. For example my XP ORX does not have a specific IRON BIAS setting but it have no problem with this test both the iron gives an iron audio tone and the target gives a tone and this functions on default programs up to and sometime including when the iron is touching the target. I was able to improve the ability for a 15 year old V3i to perform this test just by adjusting recovery speed.. Losing depth of course- so I am wondering if in the past many machines had this "iron bias" built into the recovery speed settings or the recovery speed just helped compensate for the default or no iron bias many machines have?

Maybe someone can shed some light on this topic -
You missed part of the video, the Legend has an iron bias setting programmed in that they felt was the best option for all users. Whether user adjustable or not, most modern detectors have an iron bias setting, take the Vanquish for instance. It’s just baked in and not adjustable.