Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbe here

jetsmell

I would like to buy my first metal detector. I would like to use it to prospect for gold. I live in Cincinnati Ohio, I know, it's not Alaska, lol. I figured there won't be any nuggets to find, so I need a detector that can pick up the smaller pieces. Also, I would like something that can tell the difference between a bottle cap and money. I'm hoping to find a detector in the $200.-$300. price range if possible. Thank you in advance.

jetsmell said:
I would like to buy my first metal detector. I would like to use it to prospect for gold. I live in Cincinnati Ohio, I know, it's not Alaska, lol. I figured there won't be any nuggets to find, so I need a detector that can pick up the smaller pieces. Also, I would like something that can tell the difference between a bottle cap and money. I'm hoping to find a detector in the $200.-$300. price range if possible. Thank you in advance.

good luck finding one of those, but if you do let us know.

It would be better to increase your budget to the $700 - 1000 range and forget about discrimination.

Hi Jets, I live on KY. side of the river, I have 7 detectors,most have prospect mode. None will work good on this gold in Ohio. I dredge for gold in a lot of places in Ohio. Most have way to much iron and bobwire to detect. Most gold where you are at is small. I got to dredge 7 times last year and got 1.10 Oz. that is good for here. Maybe some time we can meet and I can show you how to dredge, that is about the only way to get gold in Ohio.

HI jetsmell,

you have received all good advice so far. I can only add that from the small size of the gold in Ohio and in many places east of the Rockies you are going to need a high transmit, high gain detector like the Minelab Gold Monster, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GoldMaster or the new Whites 24K, the Equinox 800 or a Makro Gold Racer or the newer Gold Kruzer or the XP Deus/Orx with high frequency coil. All of these can run at 40kHz or above. Some can also be used for coin and jewelry detecting pretty easily like the Nox, the Gold Racer/Kruzer and the XPs. You might be able to find a used Gold Bug 2, Whites Goldmaster or a Makro Gold Racer for around $400. Otherwise, .25 gram gold is not going to be detected well by any detector running lower than 19 kHz. Forget detecting tiny gold less than .1 gram with any detector running below 30kHz.

Jeff

You can get more detector for less money.
In VLF's a Whites Gold Master @ 48kHz might be good,or Gold Bug-2 @ 71kHz--both have iron i.d. and higher frequencies.
(watch youtube videos about these two units)
A Pulse might be better (some will i.d. iron--shallowly)-but you will not be able to find one
as inexpensively as your budget limit.
Save your money till you have more-for a better detector might be another option.
Look in Announcements to the dealer list.
(Might try Richard at Backwoods, or any other dealer that sells preowned)