Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbie GPS question:shrug:

Hi Folks,

I guess I have a really antique garmin etrex OR perhaps I am the antique in this situation.

Can someone let me know IF it is possible to take coordinates and place them INTO this garmin etrex and have it guide me there? I dont think it can, however I may be missing something.

It seems this particular gps only allows you to KNOW where you currently are and it will trace where you HAVE BEEN BUT it will NOT allow you to ENTER coordinates of somwewhere you want to find OR retrieve your current coordinates either.

Is this correct?
click here for the etrex online manual

I guess I have a unit that doesnt do what I want, unless I am missing something. If anyone has the time to spare or already knows this answer, please let me know.

Thanks
Tony
-------------------------------------------------

eTrex

Your GPS receiver can accept way-points - look at page 14 of the manual. Now; I don't remember exactly how to create your own co-ordintaes for a new way-point but what you can do is; create a way-point as shown in the manual and than edit the way-point and change the coordinates to whatever you want them to be.
To retrieve your current co-ordinates - check page 20 of the manual - you should be able to customize the display to show the current co-ordinates.

Hi Andrew-

yup, u r correct. It worked by editing a waypoint I had just created. The Etrex is very VERY basic but it may be good enough when I am looking for a specific location that I have transferred from a map.

I have a hunch that I will probably be upgrading to a more feature rich handheld gps soon.

Thanks for the assist

Tony