Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbie here

Dennis7491

I have a Fisher Gold Bug Pro and could use a little help with it. I live in the UP of Michigan on Lake Huron. Some great potential places up here to search.

Welcome to the forum from Idaho!!
My F75 rings square nails up as quarter numbers. It may be that simply listening to the tone nuances between nails and coins could be your best “setting”. Same principle that foil ID can potentially be a gold ring.

I was starting to write an answer but deleted it as it might have all been irrelevant.
Lemme ask you this, the nails you are finding, what are they ID-ing at?
I am assuming you are in discrimination mode vs all metal right? (right knob turned all the way counter clockwise until it clicks)

Turn your disc knob so that iron tone goes almost to 40. When you get a target use the pull back method to pinpoint, that is, center the target under the coil and keep sweeping back and forth as you pull the coil back toward you. As the target disappears, do you get an iron tone after the high tone or does the high tone just end? If you get an iron tone as you pull back and iron tone shortly before you push forward again, usually it is iron. Iron also has a tendency to change position when pinpointing. If you have only one coin under the coil, the VID rarely changes more than a number or two. If you have iron, numbers usually jump more as you raise the coil pinpointing. Most of this will be obvious if you do as still looking 52 recommended. If the target is a straight nail, all metal will give a good crisp tone one way and and elongated "wahbot" sound when swinging lengthwise. I hope this helps. I think the Gold Bug is exceptional in iron.

I have no experience with the Gold Bug but if Fisher numbers are consistent then the medium to larger square nails usually give my F75 82-84 VDI and mostly clear sounds. Like Picketwire was saying, use that method with the coil and its 95% sure if you get that “aftersound” its iron or trash. On the plus side of square nails……. I have a craft lady here who will buy the nails if mainly straight or if the resemble an alphabet letter. I showed her an old clock my in laws had and her artsy fartsy lightbulb flashed on!!!

Attachments

• 21B67B76-85EA-4D65-A0F6-CDB21AB5163E.jpeg
    21B67B76-85EA-4D65-A0F6-CDB21AB5163E.jpeg
    573.2 KB · Views: 133
I think that a person should always be able to hear the iron tone. The Gold Bug is well known for steady VID numbers on targets that are somewhat isolated from others. However, if you are hearing lots of nails and get a somewhat consistent high tone, do not think the VID will be accurate. The nails will also cause the VID to become jumpy. You may only be able to get a high tone for just a few degrees rotation and low jumpy numbers, but in iron, it can still be a silver coin. The Bug is very good at telling a person that there is non-ferris under the coil.

Another thing, in pinpoint mode and all metal, a nail gives a short signal across the nail and a long one lengthwise over the nail. A coin gives a short signal all the way around. Be warned though that bent nails still fool almost everyone.