Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbie needs HELP!!!!

BartOscar

A week ago I got my CTX. I work full time so I was sooooo looking forward tov this weekend to get out with it but alas the FLU! Murphy's Law is killing me here in sunny San Diego! I am a technologically challenged 56 year ol gal but I am determined to "get" this machine. I have been detecting for several years on historical sites here with much success thanks to my trusty MXT Pro and AT Pro, oddly enough more specifically the Whites. I am a visual learner so panic set in when I couldn't seem to find a video that asists the beginner from right out of the box to digging. I downloaded the manuel but reading puts me to sleep. Bart suggested coin and Auto. In a moment of a first and only wind I threw out silver, gold, junk and clad on the front lawn to get a feel for this machine. If anyone has some good suggestions I would GREATLY appreciate them. I thank you very much in advance and look forward to being part of the CTX family!

Be patient. The instructional videos will be up shortly. Until then, go to the CTX Resource Center .

I'm fairly new to this CTX game too but I have confidence that it will be what I have been looking for. I don't understand a lot about it as yet...however I did have a little experience with some of the older units like the Explorer XS and the Explorer II and it has helped me some. I like the technical challenge also. There is a lot one can do with this unit. So...I'll be looking out for all the extra help I can get too. I've used mine about 5 hours now and I am still learning as I go. And you know what?...I am finding some neat old stuff already in places I have hunted for years and years. The CTX will open some newer depth levels for all of us who stick with it. I know it will! Good luck and happy hunting...when you get the chance! Heal up!

Charles

Yeah, what gatekeeper said :crylol:

Check out Gonehunting's youtube channel....he has tons of videos about setting up the CTX.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peKPoKkTxiU

This is just to get you started....

I don't know what happened Neil, I checked your videos and they did not have ads......... :shrug:

Looks like you got plenty of help but be sure to call if you have more questions. I offer lifetime support on the machines I sell!

I don't know what happened to Neil's post. I've watched some of his videos and enjoyed them. What I do know is that the Findmall CTX 3030 Forum Instructional videos that are currently "in the works" will be 100% accurate in detail and description. I know that because Gatekeeper is working with the folks at Minelab, to insure content accuracy. That is not to say that other CTX videos you find on various sites are inaccurate. Again, we just thought it would be a good idea if the videos endorsed by the CTX 3030 forum were videos that had been "approved" by Minelab. And that process is currently underway...........
In the meantime, I'm sure a google search would provide you with hours and hours of CTX 3030 video clips. JMHO HH Randy

BartOscar: Just take your time with the CTX. It is going to be a very simple process for you to learn the machines language. It is kind of amazing tha a good portion of the folks with a new CTX came from a Whites MXT or an AT Pro. I use both of those machines a really like them both. I purchased a CTX so I would have the best machine with the best depth and the biggest opportunity to find old coins.

I have had my CTX for a month and a half. Use it a lot, but do not claim to be proficient on it. I learn something evey time I use it. That is part of the fun of getting a new macine. Believe me the CTX is much easier to learn than the V3I or the DFX.

Learn your way around the control panel for the CTX. Throw some different targets out in the dirt and use the default coin program to find them with the two patterns for descrimination. Try figuring out each default program and the descrimination patterns that go with each. Once you have got that down, then download Gonehuntingforhistory's ferrous coin #1 program and the combined program. that will be all you need for a while.

downloading programs into my machine is the most difficult part to learn in my opinion.

There you have it. Have fun and remember that you can always use your MXT and AT Pro to find things if you get frustrated.

Would love to hunt the old part of San Diego.

I just got my CTX as well. Only been able to go out once. Hunted right out of the box using coin program. I had a Whites V3i so my learning curve is a little high. The VDI scale is a lot different.
I like learning visually as well, I also learn by logging hours on the machine. For quite awhile I will be digging every solid target. So my local parks will be cleaned of a lot of bottle caps and pull tabs!
Not to mention foil!

Eventually I would like to download gonehuntings program, but I can't find it. Where can I get it?

Coinstar......try checking out the the CTX Resource Center (Accessed by clicking on the small blue banner on the top of the CTX 3030 home page). There are several modes that can be downloaded from "Downloadable CTX 3030 Search Mode Programs", or scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, Gonehunting has a couple of things posted there. Those may be what you are after. Even if the Modes are just a screen shot of a disc pattern, along with info on how tones etc. are set, a duplicate of the mode is very easily created in XChange2, or the CTX..HH

Thanks to all who have given me suggestions. I have touched base with Bart (no relation to my user name-just have cats named Bart and Oscar:)). Actually my hunting friends call me Grasshopper. I am well aware of the benefits of gridding but I get excited and hop around.... I can hear the groans! I still find plenty of great stuff and with my recently cleaned up Red Ryder Lucky coin I intend to have more great luck and will get this CTX. IN the meantime my trusty MXT will be nearby! I am cleaning up on the sidewalks in the older areas of San Diego (late 1800 and early 1900 homes).