Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbie with vintage Whites goldmaster 66t

snevlida147

Hi , my name is Shawn from Peoria , IL . I just came across a vintage Whites goldmaster 66t in good shape, took it home got it up and running ( with 14 x aa batt. !!! haha ) found some bottle caps and foil, a hinge about 3 inches deep in my front yard. I can now say ive been bit by the metal detecting bug with a machine that is way older than I am (id like to know the year, date code says G/0) Not everything I tested would give a sound though, (brass casing, steel necklace pendant) but a quarter would and a penny, so I looked up the manual from the Whites website and the manual they have posted is for a newer model that has the radio tuner and mineral - metal knob combined. My model has both knobs, I was hoping somebody had one of these old machines and can help me set the knobs correctly . I need to get the most out of my battery life, plus im new to this anyway.(had to put a pic with Bernie, 1 of my GSDs as today is his 1st birthday) thanks

Welcome to the forum Shawn and congratulations on your detector. You might have the 66TR model, but I'm not sure. This is the link for the 66TR http://media.whiteselectronics.com/manuals/Goldmaster%20Manuals/GM%2066TR%20Instruction%20Manual.pdf It might have the model number inside of the battery door.

Be sure to check out the Peoria Area Treasure Hunters Club Forum at the bottom of the list of Forums or click here: http://www.findmall.com/list.php?78 maybe you can make the next meeting.

n/t

Thanks for the comments. Inside the door does says 66t, I just checked. I did figure out that the Goldmaster s66 has pretty much the same type of controls, and that owners manual had a little more info that I was looking for. Thanks for the tip on the Peoria Area Treasure Hunters Club Forum , ill check that out for sure. A meeting sounds fun.

The years for those 66's was .... at least by 1970 or '71, because I've seen them in magazine ads from those years. The manual Larry posts is dated 1973, but that was probably just for a later incarnation of the same machine. So even though yours might be an earlier sister to it, the manual should still apply.

Those old all-metal TR machines would, by their nature reject small iron. Ie.: individual nails, paperclips, etc.... would null out. Larger iron (RR spikes, cast-iron pieces, etc...) would bleed through, but you could usually tell by the sound, that they were not conductive-coin-sized targets.

I would venture to guess that even today's toys (harbor freight or radio shack cheapies) will outhunt that one multiple times over. The all-metal TR's suffered in minerals, were a bear to keep balanced, and lacked any kind of disc (barring their ability to pass small iron).

Today was the first actual time I took my 66t out to hunt at a small park. In a little over a hour I found 7 coins!! one dime is from 65. Makes me pretty happy . Disc. would be nice as I spent some time digging trash but all in all im happy!!!

n/t