Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newby Finds

Getting By

Thanks for having us. I (we) got into detecting recently as a birthday idea for my wife. We were watching one of those Alaska gold something shows and she commented about an ancient detector we used to use in our business for locating utility points and how cool it would be to check some of the local mines out. Bingo! a gift idea for the one person crazier than me! A few days later with a Simplex+ and an ACE 300 we went on her Bday hunt. We reside on a property with more than a few prospect holes, old placer claims and a ghost town less than a mile away. Fortunately the ground wasn't quite frozen. Thinking we are hooked. She found in short order with her ACE 300 an old blasting cap tin, what appears to be a hand made rock drill, a coverall rivet, a broken pick end, some kind of donkey shoe (that's a guess), and the obligatory million nails, all circa late 1800s.
20211120_133031[1].jpg

No gold, no silver, but the joy is in being able to discover, date and try to imagine the spirit of folks 100+ years ago who just showed up, worked their rears off, and took the chance to get ahead. Our Dog Iris had the best find of the day and is the proud owner of a new skull!
20211120_125624[1].jpg

Thanks for all the kind comments!
I'm kind of slow as I should have thought about doing this sooner. We both love to explore and research old things. The detectors are a natural bring along on our "expeditions." Sadly, the ground is freezing up hard. Took the Simplex out to an old prospect hole several hundred yards from the house, had a ton of hits but they might as well have been buried in concrete.:( I did find an old 44-40 Winchester black power cartridge brass case so old it didn't have a head stamp. Guessing somewhere between 1873 and early 1900s. I'm thinking our area has never really been gone over detector wise considering the picks we've made in a relatively short time. Going to be an interesting spring! This old town has changed hands several times in the last few years. I've always had access permission, but never thought to detect it. I know the new owners so hopefully I'll get the green light to search here. Hard to believe this small area had over 2500 residents 120 years ago.

20190915_143838[1].jpg

Great looking pic's. A Big Welcome to You to the forum from Georgia.. You are in a beautiful state, and it sounds like you have some very good and promising sites to hunt. Best of luck to both you and your wife. I really like the pic. of your all terrain hunting vehicle also.

I really like the pic. of your all terrain hunting vehicle also.
LOL.....we had to take the sports car UTV cuz the older, much more practical, Honda Pioneer we normally take is sitting in the shop with snow tracks waiting for the white stuff. We do log points of interest on the newer one's GPS so we intend to revisit and set up new map points this winter for some spring time detecting trips. Right now I'm researching old claim sites and putting them in our GPS software. A lot of them you can just drive right by and not notice. We will at least know where some of these lost sites are when on trips.
Hopefully we can contribute some interesting content this spring!
20201220_160158.jpg

It looks and sounds like you two have a great set up all around. I believe we can expect to see some great photo's and hear some great stories relating to your adventures and many finds and saves detecting. Take care and y'all stay warm.