Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newer coins dissolving in the ground

Tommy Boy

I have really been enjoying.my Nox 900, I have been finding a lot of coins, so far nothing older than the 1960's. I have noticed that the coins from the 60's, 70's, and 80's look pretty good when you dig them out of the ground, but newer coins show serious signs of decay, especially newer pennies are almost unrecognizable. I am in Northwest Arkansas, maybe its the soil mineralization. Anyone else seeing this.

Zink pennies absolutely... But I have noticed... especially at the beach... the newer clad coins and nickels are looking rougher than usual... A nickel shouldn't come out looking rainbow colored... and almost not legible... None of the older coins are cleaning up as nice as they used to all of a sudden either... I thought it was just us... here in South West Coast New Jersey... ( a great place to be from )... maby it's everywhere:shrug:

Tommy Boy,
As 'thepest' alluded to, modern pennies are no longer made of copper.
In mid 1982, they replaced copper pennies with copper PLATED zinc.
The zinc can easily form an electrolytic action with the ground mineralization/salts/moisture, and .... as you noticed .... actually dissolve into nothing.
(We sometimes call them stinkin' zincolns.)

You can easily see the zinc, by scraping the edge of a new penny to expose the white metal of the zinc core.
(They also have more of a 'thud' sound when you drop them on a tabletop.)

Glad you're having fun...
:)
HH,
mike

I have really been enjoying.my Nox 900, I have been finding a lot of coins, so far nothing older than the 1960's. I have noticed that the coins from the 60's, 70's, and 80's look pretty good when you dig them out of the ground, but newer coins show serious signs of decay, especially newer pennies are almost unrecognizable. I am in Northwest Arkansas, maybe its the soil mineralization. Anyone else seeing this.
Same in Nevada. No quality on pennies. The Mint may eventually stop making them. Then there goes 70% of my finds. LOL

Have for years. I am in Central Arkansas and there is a nearby papermill. Lot of acidic contamination in our state from such mills. I think that is the problem.

The zinc cents and war time steel cents corrode and come apart quickly and even faster in salt water. The cents are made in the tens and hundreds of millions. (The U.S. Mint has never produced a single "penny" as that
is an English coin. Our money is derivatives of cents: a dime is ten cents not ten pence and a dollar is 100 cents, not pence. While other countries may have a 1/2 penny we do not.)

Attachments

• drape.jpg
    drape.jpg
    843.9 KB · Views: 64
I have the same over here in the UK, a lot of my finds are Victorian Edward VII and George V & VI pennies which can be in very good condition even having been in the sea for at least 50 years bur the modern coins are rubbish as even a couple of years old are rotten.

Attachments

• DSCN0334.JPG
    DSCN0334.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 59