Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nickels....Etrac observations

dreamweaver43

Here's some of my observations on being able to id Nickle hits with the Etrac. I could never figure them out with the explorer, but with the etrac it's a whole different deal.

Nickels hit very soft on the Etrac in discriminate. This weekend I got a 1927 Buffalo and a 1941 Jefferson, and they both hit the same. They were approximatley 5-6 inches down. Target ID was bouncing in there at 12-12, 12-13, 12-14, and sound was repeatable, clearly a target, but not by any means solid. UNTIL I put the machine in pinpoint, then the target locked right on with a strong response. Ray I think kind of mentioned this, and he's right on. I have found some folded tabs that hit right on 12-13, but I don't remember them locking on any different in pinpoint. They are actually kind of rare, so I don't think I would pass over anything around 12-13 range. So when you hit a soft deep 12-13 and it locks hard in pinpoint, start thinking deep old nickel before you dig!!

And I got several deep wheats. I usually don't measure depth of targets other than they were deep. But after reading a lot of stuff on the forum it makes me wonder about the etrac. I got 3 wheat cents between 8-9 inches down. None of them hit that solid, but all had conductive reading of 41. Two locked in at 41-12, with some bouncing around. The other locked in at 41-20, but had a weak but clearly repeatable audio, and before I pulled the plug I was sure coin on edge, which it was. And as far a digging junk goes, I was chasing some "iffy hits", but I was pretty sure that they were long shots which they all turned out to be, falsing nails. With the explorer I think I was fooled more often chasing nails, thinking "this has got to be good". With the etrac it seems, at least for me, to be able to clearly id the falsing with audio. Add in the addition of the target ID, and I can be pretty the odds of a good target. The falsing does not behave like a good hit, they are very different despite the fact there are some high tones coming thru the head phones. When you put all the info together...........If your digging more junk with the etrac? Your probably digging junk hits...........

Brad

I agree with what you say Brad. After digging many iffy targets and not getting much in return, I have decided to focus on those repeatable signals, even if they are weak and sometimes iffy, and dig the good stuff. My junk bag hasnt been emptied in a while but I keep on digging silvers and wheaties. I dont focus on the nickels much even though I like to find them, because of the areas I cover are loaded with low tones from pull tabs and it would drive me batty plus slow me down tremendoulsy trying to decipher if it was a goodie or not. I will leave them for the Fisher guys so they feel like they are making head way. LOL. (just kiddin guys) TMAN...

Thanks for the pointers on the nickels I think I have hit a few of those and passed them off as pull tabs, I'll work on that and see what comes out, THANKS..

I have dug many pull tabs in that nickel range before I new what a nickel range was. Now I have learned to listen carefully and have really changed my ratio of pull tabs to nickels to the mostly nickels only side. I still dig a few pull tabs but I am not just walking by anymore like I was the first week of using my new E-trac. Nail falsing still gets me to dig if the nail is exceptionally rusty as I get fooled on those especially if they are deep. I try to watch for the screen to jump to the top of the grid, however I miss this on some and still dig way more nails that I like.

HH,

Dave

Bugalooob said:
I tend to ignore the nickel range too, too much junk in that area

Ummm, this is also gold range I believe! IMO not something one would want to ignore!