Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

No adjustable ground balance?

All of the pro gold hunters here in Aust are hard core Minelab users and it will take a far better than average detector to make them toss away their GPXs
So when they get their hands on a different machine they are already primed to find fault with it.... Any fault at all.

The ATX will fill a slot for a single gold detector that can hit on tiny nuggs and big nuggs in highly iron mineralised ground where in the past, two detectors were needed, one high frequency GB VLF unit for the small stuff and a ground cancelling PI for the bigger nuggs down deep (Not many of those about these days) I wish I had the cash to splash on the ATX but I donot and so I will just have to be satisfied with reading about all the nuggs you blokes will be finding.:ausflag::cheers:

Who would have thought a $5700 detector would outperform a $2100 detector!!! Shocking and disappointing.

Just joking folks. Nobody anywhere, Garret included, thought the ATX was going to slay a GPX 5000. Anyone posting that it does not as if it would surprise anyone has not been paying attention. Then again, I am absolutely certain the ATX is going to blow my GPX away in an underwater location.

That's what confuses me Steve is where did Garrett state the ATX was going to be better than the GPX ,someone threw that curve ball into the ring and the die hards are running with it,air tests are just that but in undisturbed ground is another story as we all know,another thing that seems strange is the timing of the release which will be your winter when most detecting is at a stand still where as in Aus its their summer,or is it more aimed at Africa for their next boom after all 1/3 of the worlds mineral wealth is,Was impressed with BC tube clip on the mineralised seam test that give a lot of in site on the capability's of this detector but its sill early days and good fun watching all this unfold,

steve herschbach said:
Who would have thought a $5700 detector would outperform a $2100 detector!!! Shocking and disappointing.

Just joking folks. Nobody anywhere, Garret included, thought the ATX was going to slay a GPX 5000. Anyone posting that it does not as if it would surprise anyone has not been paying attention. Then again, I am absolutely certain the ATX is going to blow my GPX away in an underwater location.

Steve the old Tall Poppy is alive and well in OZ, some people just hate success with a passion.:detecting: I like detecting and I especially like finding gold, sometimes just using something simple and fun like the Fisher GBII I commandeered off you is all I need for a nice time out doing what I love best. There will be places in OZ where the ATX will be brilliant, if its better than an Infinium then I know for sure I will find gold with one of them. Am looking forward to when you have your hands on one so I can see how you go with it.

JP

The whole thing is silly. The ATX needs to be better than the Infinium. Same company, more expensive detector, it better offer something for the extra money. It should also compare well to a TDI to be competitive, but since it is waterproof and the TDI is not there is an obvious advantage for the ATX for certain uses.

Comparing a GPX and an ATX is like me comparing my Toyota 4Runner to a Hummer. You say your Hummer is better, I say so what, I can afford my 4Runner.

The bottom line folks is up until now if you wanted a waterproof ground balancing PI you got one choice, the Infinium. Now there are two to choose from, the Infinium and ATX. The GPX is not waterproof and if that is a factor the GPX is not in the running at all.

Hi JP,

Look for an email response to your email today. Sorry I did not reply, been a rough couple weeks.

The ATX is not going to have people dumping Minelab detectors. It may certainly get some sales from people who want a GPX but can't pay the big bucks, and who do not want to buy used units on a market rife with counterfeit detectors. All I know is I want a good waterproof PI and the ATX looks to fit the bill for me. It does some stuff my GPX can't do, like jump in the water! It really is that simple. If it was not waterproof, I an not sure I would even care about it.

In any case, I hope to have something to day personally about the ATX real soon. Kind of bad timing here though as I want to mask and snorkel snipe with it in the streams and rivers in the Sierras and it is snowing there now. Could make it a bit more challenging but nothing I have not done before.

I am glad to get pointed at the Oz forum though looks like a lot to check out there.

Jonathan, I am a little confused by your ATX brilliant statement and I know I'll find gold with one statements to Steve.
They sounds very positive.
On the other hand....

On at least one 'down under' forum you make statements about the ATX based on, as you put it, almost nothing.

Here is just a couple of your statements that I found quite negative. In the first one It is rather funny how you're trying to have your cake and eat it too..

"Do any of you seriously want to go back to dealing with ground noise and hot rocks to achieve performance? You can easily do this by reverting to the GP 3500! My remarks were not made to knock the ATX but to point out what we already have at our fingertips and by the look of things take for granted, going by the ATX reviews so far the Garrett does not do any of those things."

And this lovely little piece of negativity without really knowing much of anything:

"I've had a look at the videos on YouTube and nothing has overly impressed me so far, one thing I do not like is what seems like a very slow response time on a nugget dig at Rye Patch, on deep nuggets a slow response is going to kill your ability to differentiate between ground noise anod a good target. Also by the look of things the detector is going to rely on DD coils to tame hot ground so there will be no mineralisation eating timings like Smooth or Enhance or Fine Gold, imagine going back to a world of Hot Rock soccer? "

I think everyone knows your a Minelab 'homer' including this guy who made this reply to your statements above:

"Hi JP,

The GPX series is no better at finding gold than the 3000 or the extreme, you still have too identify all hotrocks, you pay $4000 extra to run a tad quieter on noisy ground, the older machines could still find 95% of what the GPX's can with a good operator

The topic is about the ATX and its capabilities, until someone who can operate one and then do proper testing I cant see a reason for you Minelab boys to need to say jack sh!t about comparing kahoonas

Ron"

At best.... it's confusing.. What should one make of your comments to the various audiences?

Cheers,

Tye

I will still do a test on my ATX and my GPX 5000 whether you like it or not Steve, because some people want to see it. The Minelab should perform a bit better, its $5500 for peets sake.

There is a manual ground balance. It's just like the AT Gold. Push button, pump it, its set...go detecting. You can use auto tracking also...

Bearkat

They bash anything that is not a Minelab...

The thing I have seen with iron check is...if it is a small nail (1" long) at say 3" deep, it will most likely not do the iron grunt. But once you dig i tup and bring it to the surface and you still dont see it but you have moved it to the dug up dirt pile and it is only at 1" depth now...it will most likely do the iron grunt then.

If it was a 3" long nail it will do the iron grunt definaletly at that depth. It is set this way as to not loose small gold.

Jonathan, I think you will see the ATX is way better than the Infinium. I have yet to hit a hot rock with it also...and it excells in nasty hot dirt and on small gold. Deep deep gold better than the 5000?, don't know yet...but at the foot mark on most nuggets should be on par with the 5000 with stock coils.

As Steve says, it will fill a niche for those not wanting to spend for the 5000 but want better performance than the TDI (which I think is crap - TDI w 8" mono not hitting .1 grammers).

Some peeps say my air test are useless, but those that want some info, any info on the ATX, see them as beneficial. This is a series I'm doing...buried target test coming soon. But while I'm out nugget hunting I most likely will not carry the ATX and GPX at the same time as I walk for rmiles at a time (steep country) and will not carry both as to not kill myself, Lol. So buried targets will have to do until someone on flat ground with an ATV can carry multiple machines for a live find test.

Just a pleasure to use so far...the ATX

Bearkat

I tried the Iron Check yesterday with some success. Every time the ATX gave the "Iron Growl" the target was iron. However, not every iron target got the "growl". It depended on the depth and target size. The manual says the iron check is conservative and so far I agree.

Yes Frog21 that is the exactly the way I have experienced the iron check..."It depended on the depth and target size."

Well said...

Bearkat

Tye said:
Jonathan, I am a little confused by your ATX brilliant statement and I know I'll find gold with one statements to Steve.
They sounds very positive.
On the other hand....

On at least one 'down under' forum you make statements about the ATX based on, as you put it, almost nothing.

Here is just a couple of your statements that I found quite negative. In the first one It is rather funny how you're trying to have your cake and eat it too..

"Do any of you seriously want to go back to dealing with ground noise and hot rocks to achieve performance? You can easily do this by reverting to the GP 3500! My remarks were not made to knock the ATX but to point out what we already have at our fingertips and by the look of things take for granted, going by the ATX reviews so far the Garrett does not do any of those things."

And this lovely little piece of negativity without really knowing much of anything:

"I've had a look at the videos on YouTube and nothing has overly impressed me so far, one thing I do not like is what seems like a very slow response time on a nugget dig at Rye Patch, on deep nuggets a slow response is going to kill your ability to differentiate between ground noise anod a good target. Also by the look of things the detector is going to rely on DD coils to tame hot ground so there will be no mineralisation eating timings like Smooth or Enhance or Fine Gold, imagine going back to a world of Hot Rock soccer? "

I think everyone knows your a Minelab 'homer' including this guy who made this reply to your statements above:

"Hi JP,

The GPX series is no better at finding gold than the 3000 or the extreme, you still have too identify all hotrocks, you pay $4000 extra to run a tad quieter on noisy ground, the older machines could still find 95% of what the GPX's can with a good operator

The topic is about the ATX and its capabilities, until someone who can operate one and then do proper testing I cant see a reason for you Minelab boys to need to say jack sh!t about comparing kahoonas

Ron"

At best.... it's confusing.. What should one make of your comments to the various audiences?

Cheers,

Tye

Tye, what I've said about the ATX is consistent with what Steve has said, my comments on the other forum,which are now completely out of context here now that you have singled them out, were in reference to comments made by others making direct comparisons against the GPX 5000!!! I have a number of places here in OZ where I used to dredge years ago, we often got detectable gold in our dredges, the river runs through a highly mineralised belt where the Minelab PI detectors have done really well, but no one has ever detected the river bed because the river runs all year!!! I feel the ATX would be BRILLIANT in that scenario!!

My other comments are based entirely on our gold field conditions here in OZ, ANYONE serious about their detecting in Australia uses one of the "Smooth" type timings in conjunction with a Monoloop coil on the Minelab machines, ask Steve which coil and timing combination he mainly used during his field trip with me a few years ago? This is why I'm not overly impressed with the latest Garret offering for Australian conditions!!! The word around the traps here is some dealers are promoting the ATX as a GPX 5000 beater, going by the limited amount of information I've seen on the ATX that is simply not the case and I felt it was necessary to put some perspective on the reality of the situation before we start seeing people disappointed all over again just like the Infinium fiasco a number of years back.

I take exception to your comments,
Tye said:
I think everyone knows your a Minelab 'homer'.........
I do this for a living so use the equipment that best suits my needs in the conditions I work in! I also do this for passion, and as such I purchased a Garrett Infinium, I have a GS5B and investigated the TDI, I own a Fisher GBII and will happily put my money down on any detector that will offer me an edge so might spring for an ATX once I get more feedback on how it performs compared to the Infinium!!

Comparing apples with Apples the ATX will have its place in the scheme of things thanks mainly to it being water proof!! A water proof PI for AU$3500 to $4000 could be beneficial for some especially those who know of nuggety areas in watery places. Hopefully the dealers here in OZ will promote the detector in a sensible fashion and on its merits. As can be seen by some of the comments both here and the OZ forum, there are strong feelings out in the general detecting public about monopolies with Minelab being the detector company under the spot light. I personally feel it's high time one of the other manufacturers brought out a detector that can compete performance wise with Minelab, competition is a good thing especially when you do this for a living.

Yes I'm Minelab biased, but as Steve Herscbach and Chris Ralph can attest I work in some of the most extreme mineralised environs on the planet, consequently I have to use the equipment that performs in those environs.

Lastly, I'm not for one second saying Garrett USA have been promoting the ATX in a questionable manner, in fact quite the opposite. I'm looking forward to reading more about this new detector offering from Garrett and seeing how it performs around the goldfields of the world.

JP

You have redefined manual ground balance to mean something it does not mean. Manual ground balance is the ability to manually via a control to directly manipulate and adjust the ground balance setting. No ground need be present - you are adjusting the setting directly. Pushing a button and allowing the ATX to automatically set the ground balance or leaving it continuously in auto is not the same thing.

People will never learn JP that making detectors out to be something they are not always backfires. Happens over and over. Hard to get people to settle down and see reality when it is all about selling the latest new thing. You and I are on the same page - use what works. When you are paying bills with gold found you can't afford to play games. People paying bills selling detectors generally have a different perspective and get all defensive over statements that may impact sales and therefore their pocketbook.

Well Alan, you do not seem very fond of anything not a Garrett. As a detectorist I never saw any value in brand name loyalty.

The ATX will succeed or fail based on its own merits. Hype is unwarranted.

Am I the only one questioning the air test results? 250 mm on a 3 ounce nugget? 250mm = 10 inches. So 10 inches on a 3 ounce nugget???
There's no way that can be right. My TDI SL can hear a 4gm nugget at 9 inches, and while I don't have access to a 3 ounce nugget I am guessing it could hear that at least at 12-14 inches.

steve herschbach said:

HI Steve n bearkat4160

Great to have you join up on the Aussie forum Steve
bearkat4160 you are very welcome to join also, it is good to get some input from the States now and again.
You will cop some flack from the Minelab boys but just dish it all back at them, they are a good bunch of blokes.
I am an Infinium advocate in the group but still manage to get along OK. and feel like I am part of a large extended family.