Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

No adjustable ground balance?

Bearkat, Now I'm thinking that I took your "I have yet to hit one hot rock" out of context. In your video you hit a ton of hot rocks. One large vein of hot rocks, actually. So I am now thinking that you were meaning that you haven't hit any hot rocks once you balanced it on them. Is this the correct interpretation? Sorry for my confusion.

Hey Gold Chaser, Yea they are every where here but the ATX is pretty good on them. I have been doing more hunting up in the hillsides...if I go down toward the Klamath river there are more...I will give that a go soon, but so far up in hillsides its pretty sweet. The dude in the video did not finish the ground balance...you have to keep pumping till the unit is quiet. I seen him do it it 2 videos now and he never finishes the balance. It take a bit longer than say the AT Gold.

Yep as you say, near the rivers is the worst, same up here in Siskiyou county. Have not ran it along the river yet...

Bearkat

Yea thats pretty much it... just got to GB it first or she will be a bit cranky.

Of course when you ground balance on the hotrock, you loose a small amount of sensetivity, so you dont want to do that unless its really necessary.

Oh I know Chris...I was just meaning jusy do the basic balance on the surrounding dirt, then the ATX seems to miss the hot rocks once it is "closer" balanced. I'm going to take it to a big gravel bar on the Klamath River soon where the rocks are always terrible. We'll see how she does there. I have not seen the need to ground balance ON a hot rock yet with the ATX.

Alan

I guess I won't be buying that ATX from Mash detectors after all since having been assured
by the 'Experts' that for dry land use it would not really have any benefits over my GPX5000.:cry:

I did read about a crude air test between the two on small gold that indicated the ATX did better.
If that turns out to be accurate, I will reconsider.

Cheers,

Tye

As I understand it Tye you have a GPX 5000 and an Infinium. Why do you have an Infinium? Seems to me the question here is ATX versus Infinium and the ATX clearly blows the Infinium away on small gold. Anybody with an Infinium should be looking hard at upgrading to an ATX.

I like the little quotes you put around "Experts". Your way of saying you do not consider them as such? You seem upset people are not inclined to tell you what you want to hear. Was the ATX supposed to be a GPX killer? I did not get that memo.

The Infinium is my first gold and only water proof detector.
Since buying it 8 years ago my 'wet' detecting has diminished to almost nothing besides
a very small amount of foul weather type stuff which would kill the 5000.

I was hoping the ATX would be similar in performance or better than the 5000 for the
'Smaller stuff' ..... It would replace the Infinium for any wet conditions and the 5000 for rugged/harsh terrain environments as I find it
A little gangly in those conditions.

Steve, you are barking up the wrong tree as it relates to me using 'single quotes' in my posts.
I use them to make things standout so as to not be missed. Glad you noticed them. They work !

Form what I have observed, there isn't enough real world evidense to pass judgement one way or the other
On the small gold question. We shall see.....

Unfortunately, I will not be buying the ATX to do my own testing ..... So will be relying on the 'Experts' for supplemental info and opinions.
If they turn out to be similar in performance, small gold, I will buy an ATX.

Thanks for taking an interest in my post!

Cheers,

Tye

Hi Tye,

I am not sure the ATX will be any easier in rough terrain than the GPX as the ATX actually weighs more, meaning the part on your arm. In rough terrain it will probably require using a harness and bungee or at least the included sling. Then again I am a bit wimpy in that regard; maybe you do better swinging a heavy detector all day on side hills.

I honestly believe the ATX will be very competitive with the GPX on smaller gold and in ground common in the United States. There is a huge difference between competitive and "better than". The unfortunate reality these days is small gold is the bread and butter of nugget detecting in the US and Garrett has done well in improving the ATX in that regard. So the ATX may just prove to be what you are looking for. In the meantime you will just have to sort the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

Hey Steve,

If what you suspect turns out to be the case...then I will definitely be in!
I have seen and heard a small amount of anecdotal evidense for the enhanced 'Small Gold' performance possibility already and I have to agree
With you....it looks promising !

I hope we have some additional wheat to harvest pretty soon because.....I'm running out of Bread!!

Cheers,

Tye