Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

No depth with Etrac

david bull

OK, so out of curiosity, I punched a hole a no dropped a clad quarter about four inches on edge.Running in ttf my Etrac wouldn't hit on it,even in pinpoint.I have noticed that I have yet to dig any deeper coins(or bullets).Running through all of the settings changes nothing.I thought,maybe it's because it's on edge, so I turned the coin flat and still little to no response.Has anyone else ran into this?My warranty expires December 28th and I hate to return with a no depth claim.

Don't know if you're a veteran or newbie eTRAC owner, you don't say.
You need to provide more details; sensitivity, coil, what setting changes?, air test results, discrim. pattern, etc. or whether this is something new.

If its a new problem that popped up, i'd check the basics, coil connections and batteries before sending it in.

And did the quarter get buried in decent ground. My yard is all rich black soil but if I bury a coin close to my deck then the soil changes due to high minerals present there along with nails and I can't get very deep responses there either. But a coin that has been buried a long time at 7 inches is a different animal. Usually sounds very nice.

Can you give more details about settings and such as described above?

I've used the Etrac for a year and have made several good finds, but I have noticed none were over three or four inches deep.I have been detecting for going on forty years,so of,I'm not a newby.I tried auto+3,manual 28,open screen,factory coin program,even pinpoint was weak.This was with the 6x8 self coil and in actual field conditions.I am going to use the factory coil tomorrow and check it against my xl-pro and Vaquero.

david,

you said in a previous post that:

"I hunt an area with this devil dirt and what I have learned is that you can pretty much forget the tones.Anything beyond three inches is going to sound like iron until you uncover the target.If you hunt this ground with an Etrac waiting for a high tone squeal,you will miss more than you will find."

Yes I have run into something similar to this.and you are right about forgetting about the tones.
In helping to determine a detectors capability, I made up a test capsule, using an old CD case full of a naturally occurring red pea gravel. Where it did not occur naturally, some old building sites had this stuff put on them as a road base. This example is 1cm approx. round gravel is made up of basically, an iron oxide that is so concentrated , that the ones I have gathered, each pebble is attracted to a magnet. Under these pebbles in the test capsule, I usually place a copper or silver coin or gold rings/s. It replicates/simulates some of the more extreme soil conditions here in my part of the world, near Perth, Western Australia.This stuff does NOT affect the null either. On the Etrac, the THRESHOLD remains steady.

There's all these tiny rusted "shards" mixed in some of the soil at some relic sites that's made up of old manufactured (man made) whole iron.I'm sure there are sites like that over there in your part of the world as well that are probably similar.
It really interferes with a detectors ability to see a non ferrous object buried in or under it and were not just talking about individual iron nails as the culprits. Differnce is that this type of soil with whole iron DOES cause the THRESHOLD to NULL.

Also tried many different coils and settings to try and see if I could detect a non-ferrous target, of variable size and metals under this test capsule and found that only the PINPOINT was able to detect the actual target.

Kind regards

david di

Thanks david.di.The site I am working is new to me,but appears to be fairly mild soil.I will know tomorrow after a coil change and a few tests with my other detectors.What really struck me as strange was the inability to find the target in pinpoint mode.I will report my results and also do some tests with natural targets as well.This should be a very good site with an antebellum 1850's house and civil war activity in the immediate area..If my detector isn't performing,I really need to know.

How about an air test, some folks here with etracs do a quick test at say 25 manual on a dime in air test. This should be ample data when tried to replicate with suspect detector to draw an obvious conclusion on its supposed performance shortfall.

I air test with my 14k wedding band by waving my hand above the coil.I can get 10-12" air testing easily.I am just stunned that I can't get a tone or a vdi on a coin at 4" in an open or covered hole.Maybe it is more mineralized than I suspect,but like I say,I will find out tomorrow.

Do a factory reset and then load up the factory coin mode. If you still can't hit a quarter at 4" you've got a faulty E-Trac.

This morning I tried the Etrac in my yard, first with the 6x8sef and then with the factory coil.My target was a silver quarter placed flat on the ground.The results were pretty much the same as I had experienced yesterday in the field,4-6" before I got a tone/signal that I would have investigated.Master reset made no difference.I guess it's time to ship it back while it's still under warranty.Thanks, All.

Send that baby back as you should be hittin' a Quarter at least 10'' with proper Tone and I.D. NO matter what ground! I dug a couple V-Nickels yesterday with mine over 10'' easy and I.D. was right on at 13-14 conductive. I love diggin' deep Nickels as the Newb's are busy chasin' silver. I will take the deep Injuns also and maybe some gold.

Well I witnessed 2 etracs and 1 CTX on a buried 7" quarter----- all 3 gave iron signal on quarter with optimum settings.

Deua unit gave a nonferrous tone but funky tid.

F 75 DST unit gave iron tid with iron tone

All detectors wearing stock coils.

And Blisstool gave nonferrous tone--- actually strong tone.

5 bars indicated on mineral index on F75.

It's odd how different locations can give such drastically different results. At NO time have I gotten anything other than expected with the Explorer2 when the target is a COIN and 8" or less,no matter tiny or large coil. Go figure....I think it's goes to show the limitations that are geographically placed on advice and such when it comes to the question of.."how should I set up my machine?" What might work here might NOT work there..". Interesting stuff for sure!

Kevin

My ground is Moderate to mild so that helps, But it isn't your No Brainer Silver warble lock on 12-46. The deep coins will drop a point or two on conductive and rise up to 20 sometimes on the Ferrous and Have the Etrac thunk sound at the edge of Depth. Maybe your listening for the wrong sound and numbers?

The strange thing was that even in open screen,it wouldn't recognize the target as ferrous or non ferrous.Nothing.This being a pretty clean site,I was digging pretty much everything that gave a signal.I usually relic hunt in 4tf and I'm familiar with skewed vdi readings.At any rate,the detector went off to Kellyco this morning.I'm back to swinging my Xl-Pro and Vaquero.

david bull said:
This morning I tried the Etrac in my yard, first with the 6x8sef and then with the factory coil.My target was a silver quarter placed flat on the ground.The results were pretty much the same as I had experienced yesterday in the field,4-6" before I got a tone/signal that I would have investigated.Master reset made no difference.I guess it's time to ship it back while it's still under warranty.Thanks, All.

Master Reset will only reset user settings to factory default. Thats it.
Power-On-Reset on the other hand will reset the uProcessor(s) and other circuitry to a good start-up condition.

For a silver Quarter with stock coil air test, i get around 7 to 8 inches with a 'typical ID' for that coin. Beyond that distance however it will still detect that coin with hi manual sens. at 10 to 11+ inches easily (even more with my Tornado coil) but with iffy bouncy IDs sometimes all over the conductive map. The non-ferrous tone is always there though. This with a little experience is how the 10+ inch deep coins are found.

If you get absolutelty no detection what so ever with hi manual sens greater than 6 inches in your air test that kind of proves there 'might' be something going on with your eTRAC barring intense EMI in the area of your testing.
I think you made the right decision to send it in before the warranty expires. Best time of year to do it.

I have no doubt that there is something wrong with my Etrac.Now the nagging thought in the back of my mind is how long have I been working with a defective detector.While I'm waiting to hear from Kellyco,I picked up a Whites M-6 from eBay for less than $300 and hit a site that I have hammered with the Etrac.I immediately started digging bullets at 8/9".In four hours I dug eighteen minies,some as shallow as three inches.I contacted Kellycos repair dept 12/18/15 and was told my detector should make it to the bench that day or the following Monday.I tried to get an update yesterday 12/29/15 but can't seem to get a reply other than their repair dept is open this week.Stay tuned.

I hunted for 8 months found numerous clad <3" plus the machine would freak occasionally chortling beeps signifying nothing...would master reset every
~2nd hunt.... It was finding coins! but zero silver so unsure about sending it back. HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY now, silver find now frequently.

The tech said the machine had worst demons and by the time he finished replacing things only the shaft is original. What a testament, severely jacked unit finding coins, sooo no depth, no silver...IT BROKE

I'm not a fan of the SEF 8x6 but love my Coiltek 10x5. I have dug numerous dimes at 7+". and with the Ultimate 13" have dug wheat pennies at 12" ... something is wrong ... with the coiltek I get proper tone and ID to at least 6" unless there is junk along with it. Ultimate I can get it 8-9"