Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Noise Cancel question

ChicagoJohn

I don't really understand about noise cancel but its something do with ground? I use auto about 95 percent of time and doing very well. I press noise cancel often like about every 15 minutes during hunting. If you use auto then is noise cancel itself in machine take care of? If you use manual then you can set up noise cancel then it stay? I read article in Deep On Fast On post, that manual then set low noise cancel 2 to 4 is better. I like to know what is noise cancel at 2 to 4 is good for? What is noise cancel at 10 to 11 is good for? Near power line or electric or something then set high in noise cancel is better? Thanks!

I am no expert for sure. I know that someone will correct me if I am wrong. But from my understanding, noise cancel is done so that the detectors processor can find the appropriate channel to run on that will eliminate any EMI that is in the immediate area so that the machine runs more smoothly. I will noise cancel as soon as I begin detecting a new site. Will only do it again if I have found myself some distance away from where I started. The coil should be held about a foot off the ground and steady while giving the machine the time to noise cancel..........

yes the noise cancel is for EMI ... I usually don't redo mine unless you notice it is getting chatty all of a sudden, it can happen in just a few minutes if something has been turned on nearby in a house or something.

Noise cancel is for electrical interference from other detectors and power lines. I don't believe it has anything to do with the ground conditions. I don't believe there is an auto for noise cancel per say. You either set it manually or push the button and let the machine set it for you. Either way once its set it stays that way until you either change it manually or push the button again.

Noise cancel does 2 things if you are having EMI problems in the area you are hunting raise your coil 1 foot above the ground and it will read the EMI and choose 1 of 11 sets of Frequencies to make it run stable in that EMI enviroment.The second and most important thing it does in a normal hunting situation ,no EMI, is you lay your coil on the ground,Noise cancel and it reads your soil interference called Ground IR then once again it selects 1 of 11 sets of frequencies and picks a set that will work try to eliminate the ground as if it were not there at all.This is explained very well in Andy's books.You can also fool the program by taking a very small Iron target and noise cancel right on top of it now it will select a "set" that will be best at eliminating iron if you have a lot of Iron in the area you hunt.I noise cancel about 1 time per hour if area has not changed.

Thats funny I've ready Andys book and don't remember reading anything about noise canceling having anything to do with ground conditions. Now I can see where changing the frequency could help with ground conditions but I don't know if the auto EMI can read this.

Thanks, everyone! I still don't get it clearly! In read somewhere that said in UK set 2 to 4 is better while other place is 8 for better. How they know? What if I set 2 then good? what about set 10 then is it good? I let my machine take care of it and I press noise cancel every 15 to 20 minutes during hunt.

Don't over complicate it or get wrapped around "tweaks" you may have read else where. When you arrive at the site that you are going to detect. Lift your coil about one foot off the ground. Hold the detector steady. Press the noise cancel button. The Etrac will begin the process of finding the best "channel" to run on based on the EMI in the immediate area. Once it has reached 100% complete, it will show the selected "channel" that the processor prefers................start hunting!!!! I know of a couple of fellas that are VERY successful with the Etrac and they claim that they never even use the noise cancel....??? But it is there for a reason. I use it.

Sorry.......I really see no reason to noise cancel every 15 minutes??? I will noise cancel.....like I said...if I have ended up a considerable distance form where I started detecting. Or, after maybe 3-4 hours of detecting. And thats a maybe.

I don't redo mine unless it starts acting crazy ...

An easy way to the approach the noise cancel option is to find a respectably deep signal and then go to the menu and try different channels and see if you improve or worsen the signal by scrolling through the different channels. I've tried it a few times and I'm pretty well convinced the machine knows what it's doing better than me. I'll hit the button every now and then during a hunt just to give me an excuse to stop digging so many targets :)

surfchunker said:
I don't redo mine unless it starts acting crazy ...
I leave mine between 2-4 unless it starts acting up, which I can usually select Auto sens and it quietens right off. On rare occasions I run a noise cancel and auto sens if she's acting up!

Page 8 in Safari Handbook,Page 11 in E-Trac handbook, you will find that you will have better control and depth in manual.I really do not know why people miss this in Andy,s book I have been challenged many times on forum and in the field my advice to all is reread Andy,s Book.You should also watch persons like me when you go to noise cancel in auto I will get close,choose a lower channel turn up my sensitive and send your Etrac into a higher set channel that cuts your depth I have trained several of my hunting buddies this dirty trick.after all EMI is EMI whatever the source.Sometimes it is better not to auto noise cancel among "friends" I wonder if I tape a garret pinpointer to my ankle and left it on what channel would be selected in auto noise cancel.

Prep1957 said:
Page 8 in Safari Handbook,Page 11 in E-Trac handbook, you will find that you will have better control and depth in manual.I really do not know why people miss this in Andy,s book I have been challenged many times on forum and in the field my advice to all is reread Andy,s Book.You should also watch persons like me when you go to noise cancel in auto I will get close,choose a lower channel turn up my sensitive and send your Etrac into a higher set channel that cuts your depth I have trained several of my hunting buddies this dirty trick.after all EMI is EMI whatever the source.Sometimes it is better not to auto noise cancel among "friends" I wonder if I tape a garret pinpointer to my ankle and left it on what channel would be selected in auto noise cancel.

I see nowhere in Andy's handbook where it says you have any advantage or better control by manually selecting the noise cancelling channel. I've read page 11 and didn't see it and in fact if you look at page 44 he says unless you need to select a channel due to localized interference or a nearby detector you should use the Noise cancel touchpad.

robertj298 said:
Prep1957 said:

I see nowhere in Andy's handbook where it says you have any advantage or better control by manually selecting the noise cancelling channel. I've read page 11 and didn't see it and in fact if you look at page 44 he says unless you need to select a channel due to localized interference or a nearby detector you should use the Noise cancel touchpad.

To answer your first question page 11 tells you what you need to know ,too many people on this forum have been saying that Noise Cancel is for EMI only ,they are wrong,it is in Andy,s Book page 11.It is also on Minelab website trying to help people on this website.You hunt however you want auto ,manual just do not tell me noise cancel has no effect on depth.I hunt in Illinois depending an soil type it is a 3 inch difference.Part 2 of your question page 44 is what I was telling you up above ,let me try to explain you are at an organized hunt Safari and 2 Etracs are hunting already you noise cancel near them in auto it will pick one of the 11 sets as so not to interfer with the other detectors EMI they are sending out.What set did auto pick for you will it go deep, match the soil, hell who knows maybe,It picked the channel because of the other detectors not ground conditions, it is 11 to 1 crap shoot this is OK for an organized hunt but not for looking for deep old coins.Ever have a day that you were hunting alone and the deep coins kept coming you noise canceled in auto before the hunt you had a great day and you have not even hunted half the area Minelab has got to be the best detector ever built.You come back the next day noise cancel again and cannot seem to find anything deep you really thought more great items would be at this location The day before did you check what channel you were in ,you should have,because you noise canceled this morning and went to another channel if you are going to that same place the next day do not change anything do not noise cancel.

ChicagoJohn said:
You mean press 2 or 3 or 4 in noise cancel for deeper coins?

Depends on your conditions I have hunted parks that were fill not original soil.What I do is noise cancel in auto at several spots in the area I am going to hunt ,before I hunt and see what your detector is telling you what channels your detector has chosen average them out and pick 3 channels below the average.When I think I have found my first deep coin I will channel up or down to see if I can get it to sound better also play with your sensitivity.I have never been lower than 3.Make sure if you are getting coins deep that you write down what channel you were in that day at that location.