Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

NOKTA MAKRO (LEGEND) GETTING SUED - PATENT INFRINGEMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a lawsuit, neither party will talk about the matter publicly.

Thank you! If that is the one they are using ... LOL ... pretty standard explanation of windowing with Fourier transforms that has been explained in text books for a well over a century. The patent expires in 2026 and there is not much unique in it ... square pulse windowing.

I like the cheeky part of the patent application: "Although the invention has been herein shown and described in what is conceived to be the most practical and preferred embodiment, it is recognised that departures can be made within the scope of the invention, which is not to be limited to the details described herein but is to be accorded the full scope of the appended claims so as to embrace any and all equivalent devices and apparatus."
I read that as an attempt to broaden the patent beyond the "unique" claims in it. It is really not unique. I first ran into that technique (non-metal detecting) to solve an issue in signal identification back in 1979 ... ended up applying a different windowing to better maximize signal to noise ratio. The resulting processor was in a box that weighed about 60 pounds and used about 50 amps at 5 volts to do the near real-time processing. Not something that you would put on a stick with a coil at the other end to go walk the gold fields.

Sounds like Minelab is feeling a hurt on their sales volume and wants to try to limit it. Since the actual math is so old and the modern microprocessors are so fast and energy efficient and there are a lot of people who can code, it would not take much of a look into code to see if code was stolen or was developed in house by a manufacturer. If code was stolen, pay up; if not ... counter sue for costs and damage to reputation. Just my two cents.
This is all about they just don’t want any competition cutting into sales.
Again i keep going back to liking it to Ford suing Chevy, Dodge, etc. a bit ludicrous. As a result It has never brought back any fruitions so the strategy could be just to scare people away from investing in the other brands

This is all about they just don’t want any competition cutting into sales.
Again i keep going back to liking it to Ford suing Chevy, Dodge, etc. a bit ludicrous. As a result It has never brought back any fruitions so the strategy could be just to scare people away from investing in the other brands
I agree with you dig dog. I think Minelab might just be a little jealous of the CTX Beater (LEGEND) . The legend sales might just drop off a bit soon with the two new noxes hitting the market now.

Well, well, well.....Look at what we have right here...

IMG_4442.JPG

I agree with you dig dog. I think Minelab might just be a little jealous of the CTX Beater (LEGEND) . The legend sales might just drop off a bit soon with the two new noxes hitting the market now.
The Legend is clearly the NOX beater as I have proven to the two 800 users I have recently hunted with but it's not a CTX beater , and I used a CTX prior to the Legend for 8 years. The real loss of any future CTX sales would be directly Minelab's fault for failing to ever reduce the MSRP on a terrific detector dragging a seldom used GPS around with it.

The Legend is clearly the NOX beater as I have proven to the two 800 users I have recently hunted with but it's not a CTX beater , and I used a CTX prior to the Legend for 8 years. The real loss of any future CTX sales would be directly Minelab's fault for failing to ever reduce the MSRP on a terrific detector dragging a seldom used GPS around with it.
In my own depth test area (local fields) for sure the legend will give a response on most coin targets at max depth that my CTX won't even give a whisper on. I have video's to prove it as well.
the legend is out performing the CTX3030.

Id expect the price of all products, could be much further reduced, if ethical companies did not need to drag a team of seldom used, patent attorneys with it too.
No matter which side wins, when the judges gavel falls, its ultimately a no-win situation, for the entire hobby as a whole.

In my own depth test area (local fields) for sure the legend will give a response on most coin targets at max depth that my CTX won't even give a whisper on. I have video's to prove it as well.
the legend is out performing the CTX3030.
Interesting. Isn’t the 3030 like $3,000

Id expect the price of all products, could be much further reduced, if ethical companies did not need to drag a team of seldom used, patent attorneys with it too.
No matter which side wins, when the judges gavel falls, its ultimately a no-win situation, for the entire hobby as a whole.
What came first the prices or the attorneys
Perhaps their constant lawsuits and future intentions to sue everyone would require high prices to cover attorneys fees.
If you know you are going to do something costly even for nefarious reasons you are going to plan ahead of time to generate money to cover costs.
I don’t understand how sone are so defensive of a company that wants a monopoly. Vested interests? Payroll?
They sue EVERYONE, lose and continue to sue,why do you think that is?
You know what a good solution would be for EVERYONE including users?
Lower the prices. They have a good enough product. If the Nox and legend were the same price im sure just about everyone would have bought the Nox, possibly shutting down the legend.
Instead they want their cake and eat it too. Screw that.

Lets be real dude
What came first the prices or the attorneys
Perhaps their constant lawsuits and future intentions to sue everyone would require high prices to cover attorneys fees.
If you know you are going to do something costly even for nefarious reasons you are going to plan ahead of time to generate money to cover costs.
I don’t understand how sone are so defensive of a company that wants a monopoly. Vested interests? Payroll?
They sue EVERYONE, lose and continue to sue,why do you think that is?
You know what a good solution would be for EVERYONE including users?
Lower the prices. They have a good enough product. If the Nox and legend were the same price im sure just about everyone would have bought the Nox, possibly shutting down the legend.
Instead they want their cake and eat it too. Screw that

One other thing to note . ML is just like any big companies with big marketing and people making commercials. Just like any company with executives that make big salaries and fancy marketing who do you think is paying for all that.
Higher prices going towards attorneys but also greedy executives and fancy marketing. Why do you think a pair of Nikes cost in upwards of $200 on the low end. When made in a slave factory in China its not the cost in making it.
Executives, endorsements, marketing, and of course attorneys.
All R&D in sneakers? Really lol
They can sell them for the same price as NB if they wanted to trim the fat so to speak. But the Nike fans feed the greed

I’m not sure how many of you play poker, but there is a strategy whereby the player with the biggest stack of chips can afford to “gamble” more because they have more chips to play with, and by gambling more with them, they can in a lot of cases knock out an opponent…. They might not even have a good hand, but they will bet BIG like they have something BIG !…If the little opponent doesn’t have a good hand, they will fold their cards, and the big guy adds more chips to his/her stack…This is called bluffing…or also bullying because they can…..It’s like scare tactics….Maybe this is the case, or maybe NM did take some intellectual property…Either way, it will all come out in the wash !

I’m sure that ML has attorneys on their payroll, and need to keep them sharp, and by doing so create a write off for the company if they lose….and money in their pocket if they win….It’s all in the game…..Wouldn’t you think that ML would be better served creating a better detector for a competitive price rather than resting on their expensive laurels…After all, a lot of the smaller players are catching up fast, and some surpassing ML and for a lot less money !….ML has made some great detectors in the past in which I’ve owned, and still own….It’s time for them to be the better company again with no questions asked !

Last edited:
I’m not sure how many of you play poker, but there is a strategy whereby the player with the biggest stack of chips can afford to “gamble” more because they have more chips to play with, and by gambling more with them, they can in a lot of cases knock out an opponent…. They might not even have a good hand, but they will bet BIG like they have something BIG !…If the little opponent doesn’t have a good hand, they will fold their cards, and the big guy adds more chips to his/her stack…This is called bluffing…or also bullying because they can…..It’s like scare tactics….Maybe this is the case, or maybe they did take some intellectual property…Either way, it will all come out in the
I’m not sure how many of you play poker, but there is a strategy whereby the player with the biggest stack of chips can afford to “gamble” more because they have more chips to play with, and by gambling more with them, they can in a lot of cases knock out an opponent…. They might not even have a good hand, but they will bet BIG like they have something BIG !…If the little opponent doesn’t have a good hand, they will fold their cards, and the big guy adds more chips to his/her stack…This is called bluffing…or also bullying because they can…..It’s like scare tactics….Maybe this is the case, or maybe NM did take some intellectual property…Either way, it will all come out in the wash !

I’m sure that ML has attorneys on their payroll, and need to keep them sharp, and by doing so create a write off for the company if they lose….and money in their pocket if they win….It’s all in the game…..Wouldn’t you think that ML would be better served creating a better detector for a competitive price rather than resting on their expensive laurels…After all, a lot of the smaller players are catching up fast, and some surpassing ML and for a lot less money !….ML has made some great detectors in the past in which I’ve owned, and still own….It’s time for them to be the better company again with no questions asked !
Thing is we as end users are all paying extra money for all the attorneys because they choose to do it that way at some point you have to say I’m not paying you extra so you can be a bully.
Again the fact that they keep suing all their competitors even after losing in the past, the price to keep attorneys on the payroll is baked into the price.

Again the fact that they keep suing all their competitors even after losing in the past, the price to keep attorneys on the payroll is baked into the price.
Please enlighten us all...
Whites and XP were both a win...
When did Minelab ever lose?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.