Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Non-Ferrous "ghost" target ID at pivot of sweep

Terry2113

I'm fairly new to the Equinox and want to know if anyone else experiences this phenomenon, and what it may mean.
At the point my coil pivots (either from left to right, or vice versa), the machine produces a non-ferrous "ghost" target ID. Of course there isn't anything there upon further searching.
I have noticed that this doesn't occur if I swing very slowly.
Is this truly the results of my swing speed (and a good way to remind me to swing slower), or is there something else causing this to happen?
Any thoughts?

Your swing speed, swing path (is your coil staying close to the ground or is it moving upward at the end of each swing), ground balance setting and sensitivity level could all cause a higher tone ground response/ coil noise as the coil moves away from the ground.
If I don’t ground balance in moderate to high mineralized ground and have my sensitivity too high I may get a higher tone as my coil moves away from the ground and a lower tone as it moves towards the ground if I am hunting with all targets accepted by pressing the horseshoe button. The same can happen with a really fast swing, bumping into stubble, sand, roots or if I have a U shaped swing.
A loose coil cable or screw on coil connector can can also cause this especially with fast swings that aren’t fairly level.
The Equinox is a very high gain detector so seemingly small settings changes and good coil control are important.

Ah, ok. So it's probably the arc of the sweep being to large, as opposed to the speed. When it's too large there is a tendency to rotate the wrist which tilts up the edges of the coil. Thanks for your help