Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

North Carolina Ghost Towns

Charles B

ATLANTIC, Carteret County, North Carolina

This is the original site of the town of Atlantic.

This class A site lies a couple hundred yards offshore of modern town of Atlantic, which is three miles east of US 70/SH 12 at a point 29 miles northeast of Beauport and south of Cape Hatteras National Seashore. The original site was destroyed by a hurricane in 1775.

A great opportunity for those of you that have waterproof metal detectors.

BRUNSWICK TOWN, Brunswick County, North Carolina

The site of this one-time busy colonial seaport town is located on the west side of the Cape Fear River, 19 miles south of Wilmington. The old town was founded around 1725, and burned by British troops in 1776. Archaeologists have uncovered about 60 foundations, and the site currently has a museum and interpretive center for visitors.

CATALOOCHEE, Haywood County, North Carolina

In Cataloochee Valley, at the eastern end of Smoky Mountain National Park. This old town site dates back to 1814. When Smoky Mountains National Park was formed in the 1930s, it absorbed Cataloochee. By 1950 the town had been abandoned, and most of the buildings have since been demolished by the National Park Service.

FORT DEFIANCE, Caldwell County, North Carolina

This 1700s era fort was built mostly to protect settlers from the local Native Americans. It was located north of Lenoir.

I like frontier forts. Often they wee a small blockhouse that was built on a settlers property. I find that settlers would often intentionally bury valuables inside the stockade and then be unable to recover them.

FORT RALEIGH/ROANOKE COLONY, Dare County, North Carolina

Located on Pierce Street, a quarter mile north of US 64, just east of the William Umstead Bridge on the north end of Roanoke Island, three miles north of Manteo. This is the site of England

GEORGEVILLE, Cabarrus County, North Carolina

Located along SH 200 where it crosses Dutch Buffalo Creek, about four miles east of the junction of US 601 and SH 200, about 14 miles southeast of Concord is only a shadow of its former self.

JUDSON, Swain County,North Carolina

Judson, NC is now under water but was in the valley before the Tennessee Valley Authority built the Fontana Dam and flooded the town. Cemeteries and some remains still exist along the edge of the water and some in the Smokey Mountains National Park, but the NPS has demolished anything still standing.

The town was located along the Tennessee River, and once had 600 people and a long list of businesses, including: a barber shop, two churches, corn mill, garage, post office, railroad station, sawmill, school, and four or five stores.

This represents another opportunity to water hunt.

KUYKENDALL TAVERN, Henderson County, North Carolina

Kuykendall Tavern was located in what is now the historic village of Flat Rock, NC. While Kuykendall Tavern was relatively close to what is now Little River Road, in reality, family and local tradition state that it was located along the short and very historic and scenic stretch of Rutledge Drive between the current St. John in the Wilderness Episcopal Church and the Mud Creek Baptist Church. At the time of its existence (in the late 1700s and early 1800s), this was part of the Old State Road. The current Little River Road (about a 1/2 mile away) did not exist until a later date.

Captain Abraham Kuykendall was an important man in early North Carolina. He had served as a member of Samuel Adams

MARTINSVILLE, Guilford County, North Carolina

Near Guilford County Courthouse, just off US 220 in Greensboro. The location of this former town is probably over built in Greensboro but you could have some success in accessible areas.

I have always been tod that you could not metal detect in these areas Smokey Mountains National Park, Outer banks. Is that correct?

As far as I understand....you cannot detect any Naional Park.
Please correct me if you find I'm wrong.
County parks and State Parks are sometimes a case by case basis. We've been permitted to detect some and have been denied in others. Even though it is probably legal to detect in some of thee places, I don't contest whatever the ranger or local authority says because it's just not worth the trouble....there are so many places to hunt, I'd rather just say ..."thank you" and move on rather than create an issue for other metal detectorists.

H.Charles Beil said:
... County parks and State Parks are sometimes a case by case basis. We've been permitted to detect some and have been denied in others.....

Charles, when it comes to those "county and state" parks that you speak of, it sounds like you are going to them (kiosk clerks? desk-bound bureaucrats? the fellow mowing the lawn? or whomever) and asking "hi. Can I metal detect?" type of question? Next time, try this instead: Instead of thinking you need express "permission" to detect, in a place where it's silent on the issue (detecting not addressed either way), do this instead: If you've looked up the rules, and found no prohibition on detectors (un-addressed), then ........ there you go. Presto. It must not be prohibited! Why do you need "permission" to do it then, any more so than you'd need "permission" to fly a frisbee?

Because I have the sneaking suspicion that some of the places you've gotten "no's" on, were and are likely places where ....... odds are ..... no one really cared, or would ever have noticed. Ie.: the old "no one cared, TILL you asked" routine.

Yes,I know most state parks here in Missouri require a permit to metal detect,which can be obtained.
But must be carried on your person while detecting the area!

Hello Tom,

You're entirely correct. I'm sure that I've been turned away from places that I could legally detect. I just try to avoid any aggrevation that would ruin a nice day; although I once told a newly hired and young police officer that I would stuff him back into his car if he didn't leave me alone......I was on family property and he told me I wasn't allowed to be there.....then he became arguementative when he realized he made a mistake. The next day the police detective came to see me and agreed that they needed to have a talk with their officer. He wasn't on the force very long......

It's just not worth the hassle to me.

Just a few pictures to whet your appetites.
These are all North Carolina.

n/t

n/t