Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Not a chance

adespin

My F75 is a Ma-Ma upgraded model, one of the first sent in (fools rush in). I was happy with it when it came back, nice and quiet, very usable, but then you guys over pond (im in the UK) started with the low grumblings that turned into a roar. I only detect in Discrim' mode but decided to test out AM mode, sure enough no extra depth and the Ma-Ma bug. So emailed Juan who said "send it back and we will fix it", he sent the Fedex details, so i packaged it all up ready for the courier to collect. Then i thought, what about insurance!!. I queried this with Juan who replied "no the package is not covered for loss or damage, but Fedex are very good". Sorry but the F75 has cost me £1000 ($1600) four months ago plus £100 postage to send for the original upgrade, so there was no way i would risk sending it half way around the world uninsured, you would have thought a company the size of Fisher would have negotiated with Fedex an insured option. So i guess i'll have to put up with the Ma-Ma pinpoint which isn't a problem.

Perhaps, now I'm just throwing this out there for you mates across the pond, really wishful thinking....maybe the 'mama bug' is something that could easily be done at home with simple tools and a video walk through?

Maybe its a simple pot tweak?....perhaps it requires some special equipment, or out of the scope of the average Joes capabilities, I dont know...maybe somebody can address your issue, for indeed you have a valid concern..all the best.
Mud

mudpuppy said:
Perhaps, now I'm just throwing this out there for you mates across the pond, really wishful thinking....maybe the 'mama bug' is something that could easily be done at home with simple tools and a video walk through?

Maybe its a simple pot tweak?....perhaps it requires some special equipment, or out of the scope of the average Joes capabilities, I dont know...maybe somebody can address your issue, for indeed you have a valid concern..all the best.
Mud
Mud, I don't think there is anything adjustable in the F75 as far as pots go, the most likely fix resides in the software (firmware) installed in the detector. I might mention to my brother Ron about the insurance issue, his is out with FedEx at this time floating around somewhere in Texas.

They can say all the want about how good FedEx is but I dislike there service is the worse way! in our area they just plain SUCK! And when my bother sent his F75 in for the upgrade he had all kinds of problems just getting it delivered, and if he finds out that his F75 is out with them with no insurance he isn't going to be happy about that either!!

Mark

Ouch! Software huh? I know nothing about that...To prove my ignorance, I would think a guy could log into some sort of Fisher online terminal and download the fix, then transfer that file to his 75 with some sort of simple wire device?

It would be way lots easier to send some poor guy the correct wire harness, file, and video instructions and have him log on and do it himself without making him ship an expensive rig half way around the world uninsured and at a cost of 100 pounds!?

In fact, one would think with all the detecting clubs in the UK, it would be a great idea for them to do it right there on a certain night!..:shrug:...or maybe this is the only guy in England who owns a 75 with the upgrade mama bug issue?
Mud.

Years ago, Whites provided an "upgrade" to, I believe, the Eagle II. You received a new EPROM, along with instructions on how to replace the one that came with the detector. The whole idea was that you didn't have to replace the detector, just the software chip. Well, you can see where we are with that idea...

See? HPH! I knew it was theoretically possible!! Just like BullyDog sells those handheld plug in programmers for guys to upgrade their diesel trucks!?

One of these days, all high end detecting rigs will have this 'online' download feature built in!...so you can tweak, troubleshoot, and modify the internals of your rigs program to your hearts content and geek yourself into a silly abandon!..:rofl:...in fact, someday not too long off... with the GPS feature, and heartbeat monitor, your wife can get an alert to come and locate your lifeless body when you keel over in a totlot from an infarction, thus saving your estate a fortune on the 911 EMS charges..! Hot damn, lets roll with this!

Wheres that Vintage Forum! Can a brother get an amen here? All I want to do is get outside and pull some some pennies!...does everything have to be so Poindextery now a days?:rofl: Mama my @ss!
Mud

I have a couple radio control transmitters for R/C aircraft that have either a USB port or an SD Card slot so I can (and have) download free upgrades from the manufacturer. I have one that was an 8-channel Tx when purchased and is up to 18 proportional channels now! Free!

Perhaps detectors are more prone to software piracy (obviously - have just seen problems on Amazon and ebaY with pirate copies) and the manufacturers don't want the technology out in Internetville. Or perhaps it's not all just software and tuning still has to occur. I don't know enough about detector technology.

Charlie P. (NY) said:
I have a couple radio control transmitters for R/C aircraft that have either a USB port or an SD Card slot so I can (and have) download free upgrades from the manufacturer. I have one that was an 8-channel Tx when purchased and is up to 18 proportional channels now! Free!

Perhaps detectors are more prone to software piracy (obviously - have just seen problems on Amazon and ebaY with pirate copies) and the manufacturers don't want the technology out in Internetville. Or perhaps it's not all just software and tuning still has to occur. I don't know enough about detector technology.

Well, the E-trac has cabling options and its for sure possible for detector manufactures to give port access to the device and offer up FLASH option for upgrades and software fixes, but most at this point in time are not setup that way.

Mark

MarkCZ said:
mudpuppy said:

Mud
Mud, I don't think there is anything adjustable in the F75 as far as pots go, the most likely fix resides in the software (firmware) installed in the detector. I might mention to my brother Ron about the insurance issue, his is out with FedEx at this time floating around somewhere in Texas.

They can say all the want about how good FedEx is but I dislike there service is the worse way! in our area they just plain SUCK! And when my bother sent his F75 in for the upgrade he had all kinds of problems just getting it delivered, and if he finds out that his F75 is out with them with no insurance he isn't going to be happy about that either!!

Mark

I think I just found out, I just checked my tracking number and my detector just left Fort Worth Tx. It was shipped from FT on Tuesday and here it is Friday and my detector is still in Texas. Maybe I should have sent directions in my letter, in case they are reading, West Virginia is east from Texas, you can stop looking it is not in Texas.

Ron in WV

I purchased a new coil last week from Geogia. They shipped FedX. Left on Tuesday sat in Geogia till Friday. Then Fed X put the box in the USPS System and mailed to me IN MICHIGAN. Got it on Monday. The shipping fee was $6. I think they spent $15 putting it in the mail.