Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Not happy about the Cortes or Outlaw...

fltacoma

Well as some of you know, I received the Outlaw, and the Cortes in the mail today, only that there is a problem with both detectors. On the outlaw, when I flip the switch to the all metal mode, it just screams and there is no way to calm it down, not even with the threshold setting turned all the way down. Am I missing something here?

For the Cortes, I read the manual but it won't pick up any metals unless it is within 1/2 inch from the coil, and it sounds as if it's extremely negatively balanced and will only make a sound when it's moving away from the coil. Also the detector will reset itself after 5-7 sweeps of the object (I have tried iron, and a Morgan dollar), and it will only read iron on whatever I sweep above the coil with the two objects noted above. Has anyone else had this problem?

Tesoro recommends you turn it on in disc. mode. Have you tried firing up the Outlaw in AUTO or DISC ? Do that, then try to ground balance it. All-metal is a non-motion all-metal but auto is a self retuning all-metal, like on most other Tesoros.

I assume that you've double checked all the connections, the batteries etc. Several times I've had detectors go beserk when the batteries dropped to low. I bought a used BmaxII with turned out to have an extremely easy to turn GB knob and if it won't pick up squat if it gets turned way out of whack. Might try known good coils as well, just to be sure its not a coil issue.
BB

I will try the possible cures later today. If not, then off to the factory they go.

It seems like the screw that holds the control housing for the Cortes might have been messed with, but the box was sealed from the factory. Did I get a factory second?

Ground balancing the outlaw in the all metal mode solved the problem, only to find out that the 12x10 coil has way too much feedback (tried it on the Outlaw, Silver umax, Bandido II umax, and Silver Sabre) and will need to get sent in for diagnostics. Both the 5.75 and 8 had zero feedback and worked fine.

I tried the Cortes today outside for the second time, and keeps resetting.

The Deleon that I received also has a problem with the TID numbers cycling back and fourth in the backyard and while air testing it....so that makes it three out of three detectors having to go back to the factory. In my opinion (for whatever that is worth) this is completely unacceptable coming from Tesoro.

I just got ask are all these new or used detectors?

Wish I could help but all I have is Tejon so I know nothing about your detectors.

Good luck,

Ron in WV

I think you'll like the Outlaw, once you get used to it. Lots of folks don't like the retune button 'cause it doesn't push itself in after use... :rolleyes: You need to push in retune again after using it to detune for pinpointing, and while the coil is a couple feet off the ground. Just takes a second, then you're ready to continue your hunt.

Besides the Bandido II microMAX, Outlaw is my most often grabbed Tesoro, and one of their very best in trashy ground. Wish I could go diggin' today, but we just got 6" snow and it's not stoppin'.

At least we'll have that white Xmas!

The Deleon was a demo model and came with the warranty card. The Outlaw and Cortes are new factory sealed. Should I send in the outlaw control box with the 12x10? Or just the coil?

Just think though, you are going to have some personally tuned, especially good Tesoros. Not saying it is worth the trouble but I think they will be extra nice.

fltacoma said:
The Deleon was a demo model and came with the warranty card. The Outlaw and Cortes are new factory sealed. Should I send in the outlaw control box with the 12x10? Or just the coil?

I think that first, you should try to ground balance it again with that big coil... Run sensitivity down low, set threshold a very low hum, then ground balance it in auto.

If it still gives trouble, contact Tesoro & they'll let you know what to send in. They usually want the coil and control box only, but they may just swap that big coil out, since it's new.

Sort of sad, but I haven't even tried my two biggest 5 pin coils; always hunting the more trashy spots.. Only coils I use are the 5.75 & 8 concentrics (which are great) but I have 4 others in 5 pin, just collecting dust.

I'll do that and get back with you here shortly. By the way, the high here is supposed to be 71 degrees and rainy here in Shreveport...

fltacoma said:
I'll do that and get back with you here shortly. By the way, the high here is supposed to be 71 degrees and rainy here in Shreveport...

Right at 30°F outside, still snowing. It's nice in front of the fire, but no detecting here for at least a few days. I'm at about 6000' in the SanEmigdio Mountains of Los Padres National Forest. :smoke:

I tried what you said would work pinenut, but to no avail. I just broke down the Cortes, Deleon, and Outlaw for shipping back to Tesoro after Christmas. It's kind of depressing, plus I have five warranty cards to turn in lol. I bet they have the work cut out for them once they receive it.

Speaking of sending Tesoro's in, has anyone actually got back a brand new unit that was defective to the point that they couldn't fix it?

If it's under warranty in your name they will either fix it or replace it. Rusty is really good about that. I gave never has a problem with multiple detectors like your having though. Only tesoro I ever had to send in was one of my Eldorado micromax that needed the coil retuned. (Not yours pinenut though.lol. yours I never used cause it looked so damn good I bought another one to use instead lol

Welgund said:
..Only tesoro I ever had to send in was one of my Eldorado micromax that needed the coil retuned. (Not yours pinenut though.lol. yours I never used cause it looked so damn good I bought another one to use instead lol

Funny; it's so pretty, I don't want to use it much either... I have another, slightly more used Eldorado to dirty up. :smoke:

Sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with your new machines,but if i am honest something just not seem right here,and what i mean by this is of course that anything man made especially electronic items can and will go wrong from time to time and of course even say 3 machines of exactly the same model,this could highlight a specific production fault/problem.And of course if that was the case then Tesoro i would expect too do a recall to rectify the fault at no expense to the owner.

But when you have a Cortes, Deleon, and Outlaw models that are possibly going back because of potential problems,this is the puzzling part,Tesoro not only are renown for performance are also ultra reliable this is why they offer a lifetime warranty to the original owner,but you have 3 potential problematic detectors,i have a few myself that some are between 20-30 years old and they still work the same as they left the factory,but you have potentially 3 in a matter of say weeks.

Have you tried using and setting these detectors up well away from your house and other causes of problems and say in a field environment and then try and conclude that it may be a genuine fault with them or even and please dont take this the wrong way that possible operator error may be the cause.

Its well worth giving it more time and seeing if these small technical issues can be resolved prior to them going back,of course i may and probably am wrong and the 3 machines could be faulty,but what ever the out come i wish you a speedy resolve of the problems and you are back out detecting after the festive season.

Mega, I appreciate the concerns! The Cortes definitely has to go back to get looked at for restarting itself, also the screw that holds the control housing looks like it was tampered with (possibly a reboxed refurb? The Outlaw I was able to pinpoint to the 12x10 coil (some type of interference) as the problem. I even hooked the coil to three other 5 pin tesoro's and they all sounded off (the threshold didn't emit a hum but more of a jagged pulse sound, plus I couldn't ground balance it. The Deleon screen would jump TID numbers as fast as the processor would allot when held in the air after a good signal.

Heck, the Compadre 8" that was new in the box is on its way back from Tesoro because the internal sensitivity pot was jacked up (when fired up the first time, it couldn't quiet back down after the battery check). Keep in mind that I have had a Vaquero since 2004 and has been flawless, along with a Cibola that has also been flawless.....

I have five warranty cards to get turned in also. I'm not giving up on Tesoro!

That's what I was thinking too.. Maybe too much EMI, which I know the Outlaw, in particular, is quite susceptible to. Could be that the big coil picks it up more than the smaller ones do.
I had my Outlaw out at Griffith Park just before Halloween, detecting around the "old zoo". Right at that time people were setting up a "haunted zoo" area, and there were huge cables strewn all over, running out to big generators... Made the Outlaw tough to do much of anything with, as I had a constant 60 cycle hum... With sensitivity turned down, disc up and moving away from the generators, it was still usable. I still found a couple $ in change, including two wheaties and a token... Anyway, EMI can be a pain; something I don't notice as much with the higher frequency Tesoros.

I'd try getting away from the house and any other source of EMI, then testing those detectors again... After you've written off any other potential sources of trouble, then contact Tesoro and let 'em know what's going on. They will take good care of you. :bouncy:

As far as the Deleon it sounds like it's EMI. They are far more succeptable to EMI.
As for the outlaw, also try to hold the coil up in the air and hit the retune button to reset the threshold, then adjust the knob to where you want the threshold sound.