Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Not Sure the CTX is Really Faster then the Etrac.

rluna

A little background first:

Sold my Etrac about 7 weeks ago and got a CTX.
In the 7 weeks I've had it I found 19 silver coins.

Had my Etrac from Sept - Dec of last year and found
50 silver coins...point being, I did well with the Etrac also :)

It's taking me a little bit to get use to the CTX.
Here is what I am finding a little frustrating.

Even though the CTX is faster it just seems (from what I remember),
that I could cruise along a little faster with the Etrac because I just
knew better if it was worth digging, Not just by the numbers but the
numbers along with the tone and then of course depth.

I'm a coin hunter that, for the most part goes after Silver, Copper and
Nickels so on the Etrac I didn't necessarily have to stop and thoroughly
investigate every little high tone. I knew by the way it sounded off on
Silver or Copper whether I should then check the numbers and depth.
I also had a tight nickel discrimination so would check also when I heard
the nickel sound......Simple.

With the Etrac I wasn't needing to stop and check every little blip of a high tone.
I used Bills trashy park program on the Etrac.

With the CTX most of us have that last bin set at a high tone for Silver.
Of course, you want to check and investigate a high tone when you hear
one....... "But" ......there are high tones going off all the time. Any where
from a blip of a high tone to a stronger high tone sound. And one might
say, "do you really need to check every blip of a high tone?"
And I say, "Absolutely!!"
Half of the 19 Silvers that I got were just a blip where I then would check it
from a different angle and get a diggable high tone or number.

Now the CTX is said to be faster (faster processor and all), and that may be
true, but I have to swing it just as slow if not slower than the Etrac if I want to
catch those little blips.

Which is why my post title says: "Not Sure the CTX is Really Faster then the Etrac."

Also, not one of the 19 coins was deeper than 6 1/2 - 7"
Most except for 2 were from 4 to 6 inches deep. I do believe the Etrac probably
would have gotten any one of those. I also dont see the Ctx's VDi numbers being
any more stable....maybe at depth but I haven't dug any silver deeper that 7" yet
with the CTX. From 1 - 7" the ctx seems just as stable or jumpy as the Etrac.

Now I'm not trying to talk my self out of the CTX by no means. I bought it because
I heard what this machine can do, but maybe I'm doing something wrong with the Ctx
or maybe I just need to learn it better.....Or Both :)

Any thoughts on what I'm experiencing or suggestions would be much appreciated??

Rand(nightdigger)

ctx is faster than a etrac full stop.

sounds like you like the etrac tones better than the ctx and that's fair enough I had the same problem hated the ctx when I got it, but stuck with it and well had both in the car would grab etrac within 10 mins I would be back in the car getting ctx , etrac has been gone for years.

posting what you have on a ctx forum says you want to believe but don't know how.

every detector takes time to get used too I was out last night and thought wow near 4 years and I am just starting to get to understand this machine which means I have a long way to go and that's a good thing means I wont get bored detecting the etrac nice detector but it used to bore me.

AJ

Rand,
Welcome to the CTX...
First I want to emphasize a couple of obvious points. (Please take these as meant to be helpful, not as criticism in any fashion.) :)

'For the most part, you're always going to be more efficient with the detector you've become most familiar with.'
This is easy to overlook and gloss over because we want the money we just spent to do all the work, but it's really you doing the searching...not the detector.
Otherwise, you could just send out a couple of detectors to bring home some silver for you, while you stayed at home and watched youtube... :)
Since it's you doing the detecting, you're going to need to put in the dirt time.

'Secondly, If you were most comfortable/productive using Mr. Bills pattern on the etrac, then use it on the CTX.'
Bill just recently got a new CTX, and I suspect if you email him, he'd be glad to send his pattern. (He's one of the good guys.)
In any case it's extremely easy to duplicate.

'What were your settings?'
It might also help if we knew (in detail) what settings you were using...and which modes.

'The CTX is not an ET'
I've stated this many times, but many of the people I've dealt with, (who have initial problems with the CTX), are prior ET users.
If you want to use the CTX to it's fullest, you can't skip the learning part just because you used an ET (or some other detector) for a year (or more).

'Print out the CTX manual!'
Take the CD to a copy shop, and have them print out the manual...yes, I know Minelab should have already included one...I've talked myself blue in the face trying to get them to understand how important it is.
Then read every page, and every setting...don't skip. Make notes in the margin.

'Get Andy's CTX book.'
Unless you feel like re-inventing the wheel, there are already some choice settings and suggestions in 'the book'.
Also some tips and corrections to the manual.

Finally, I think most of the answer you already suspect;
"Now I'm not trying to talk my self out of the CTX by no means. I bought it because
I heard what this machine can do, but maybe I'm doing something wrong with the Ctx
or maybe I just need to learn it better.....Or Both :) "

I hope we can help you through this part of your learning curve. :thumbup:

Good luck,
:)
mike

I run 50Conductive and can tell the difference like you are describing on your eTrac. I really don't understand why folks that park/school hunt deprive themselves of all the extra data that 50C delivers to your ears. I can kinda see it if you are really narrowing your search, but I like lots of data and delivering it via sound is much easier than using the screen for me.

I also agree with aj re knowing your eTrac = speed. I think that true with any machine and makes it tough to compare sometimes.

Oh, and meant to add one last thing...

You're coming from a very, very good detector (the Etrac)...so the improvements might not be as blatant and obvious as coming from something else.
The Etrac is no slouch.
But there are improvements in the CTX...they may just be harder to spot at first.
:)
mike

Luna, i heat and agree with you. I find myself going CSI on every target, unless a no brsiner, " dig me now" target. I will say this, a very knowledgable user and writer, told me recently, in person, that if he takes too much time analizing a target, that ususlly turns out junk, he is wasting time. It is the law of averages and what you are will to put your time into. We all know and respect who thid is, which makes me want to see it that way too. The only other way for me, is spending that extra time in sites that were pounded, but produced great finds!
Good luck and take it for what its worth to you.

Well,Luna,I'm now in your very boat! Had the Explorer 2 for less than a year and figured out how to make it barf coinage. Because of an unexpected windfall I got the CTX with all the coils and bling.....I am just starting to understand a little bit of it. I just posted on another forum about SENSITIVITY,and the lack of depth I've had running Auto plus anything....switching to Manual INSTANTLY gave me an extra 2-3 inches with ANY coil. Even in Auto plus 3 it seemed like I couldn't hit the 7" mark at all. That's with the factory Silver program and stock coil. Since I'm very new to it also,I understand the HUGE potential of the machine,and also realize that I as an operator have to learn IT,so off we go...learning.....
Say,I'm not too far away,maybe we could find somewhere in the middle to hunt and learn as new CTXers! There's a guy in Racine and also North Prairie who run them,so help is around. Air Force Mike in Racine has a great handle on it,perhaps he could be in on it sometime. Just bouncing ideas....I'm in New Glarus.

Kevin

NOOOOOOOO! :rant:

It hurts because I've done many similar things, and only by sheer luck got away with most of them.
I can so empathize....

I'm so sorry, Rand....
:(
mike

Edit:
If I were you, I'd watch Craigs List for a great deal on a 7 week old CTX with only a few scuffs...

trojdor said:
NOOOOOOOO! :rant:

It hurts because I've done many similar things, and only by sheer luck got away with most of them.
I can so empathize....

I'm so sorry, Rand....
:(
mike

Edit:
If I were you, I'd watch Craigs List for a great deal on a 7 week old CTX with only a few scuffs...

Ha Ha...funny, but you never know.

Anyway, thanks Mike and thanks for your help on my original post :)

Rand

Man, that sux. Since you said bad neighborhood, you probably ought to visit the nearby pawn stores and let them know its on the stolen list and that you will be checking back in from time to time.

Not sure how long you have had your CTX.
If you purchased it with a credit card that has insurance, you might be able to make a claim.
I lost a brand new pair of prescription glasses that were less than one month old. They covered the cost cause I paid for them with my Visa.

rluna said:
Even though the CTX is faster it just seems (from what I remember),
that I could cruise along a little faster with the Etrac because I just
knew better if it was worth digging, Not just by the numbers but the
numbers along with the tone and then of course depth.

Any thoughts on what I'm experiencing or suggestions would be much appreciated??

Rand(nightdigger)

Hi Rand......CTX faster ?-yep!.....but the 3030 spends a lot of that 'extra time' doing more 'housework' than the E-trac, and offers more choices of

how you may interpret the data outcome.

You are certainly on target with your methodology, as you've indicated by your E-trac practices, and now you will I'm sure, become

more successful with the 3030......

If I were a preacher. I'd say:-

Knock out the FE 35 triangle in the bottom right-hand corner. So NO AUDIO from 90% of ferrous crap.

Hence, dig any REPEATABLE audio reports...ESPECIALLY if their DEPTH is accompanied by FE values dropping 'down' ( 12 -> -> 18 to 27 )

I'm sure you know what I mean....DEEP indication.....REPEATABLE.. audio.....(but NOT necessarily 'good' audio!) AND...FE's 'falling' with depth.

My heart races when I see a 20 something Fe and a deep target indication.....woweeeeee!

Often,when you pin-point, any 'disc'd out ferro' items within the loop's view, will now audibly stand out, (PP being All-Metal)... and want to distract you from the non-ferrous item.

Get it out, then chase the intended non-fe target.....the minelab doesn't make mistakes...but rather the operator does. (mis-interprets).

It's not always possible to say it all, in a brief post....but hopefully I've re-assured you that the best is yet to come...you're doing it right...now finesse.

[size=x-large]N.B[/size]. Those high beeps.....especially Fe ONE's ....[size=x-large]AT MAX DEPH[/size]......wow--eeewee.......Take your time....remove a few inches of
soil....and check it out.................Good luck....happy hunting.......Matt

metalpopper said:
Hi Rand......CTX faster ?-yep!.....but the 3030 spends a lot of that 'extra time' doing more 'housework' than the E-trac, and offers more choices of how you may interpret the data outcome.
You are certainly on target with your methodology, as you've indicated by your E-trac practices, and now you will I'm sure, become more successful with the 3030......

Matt, you may want to read my post above....about 8 post down from the top. :)

Rand(nightdigger)

I was hoping to read a happy ending to this story but it seems whoever found your detector laying there on the ground is keeping it low.
They surely know it is being sought after by now.
Hope you get it back sooner or later.

[/quote]

Matt, you may want to read my post above....about 8 post down from the top. :)

Rand(nightdigger)

.[/quote]

***********************************​

Aggggg----hhh. The pain.....I felt choked, reading of your loss, Rand

I did almost the same thing....but with me it was my favourite stainless steel bladed shovel........

Found a buried hoard of what appeared to be stolen silver items, from the early 1900......including a WOODEN CASED battery hand torch!

All wrapped up in a decayed window curtain; that was whilst detecting in a local woods.

My arms were filled with 'the loot'....plus detector and spade.....dropped the treasured spade whilst loading detector, headphones, loot and wellies

into my car's boot....drove off like the cops were after me.....That night as I lay in bed I was 'counting sheep' trying to get to sleep.

Then I realised that I couldn't remember collecting up the spade......yep....it was gone when I looked for it next day.

Had that spade for over 20 years ......My detector then cost £54 new.....Spade was a present from my wife....(girl-friend then ).....

The Gods may yet smile down on you......and somebody turns your CTX into the local precinct.....hope so....Matt

I know that gut shot feeling your having as Ive had a very similar experience and man oh man I feel bad for you bro.

My best wishes go out to you and that by some miracle you get yours back as I did. If not, don't completely give up as sometimes our greatest disappointments leads us into even better finds.

good luck,

Shov