Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Not sure what I was thinking,,

GA1dad

With the love/hate relationship I already have with my CIbola, you'd think I would know better than to take on another one.

I was contacted by a feller on FB about a Cibola "that has 3 or 4 wires that came loose". Next thing I know I have acquired this thing as a parts machine in a trade for a pinpointer I had not used in a few years. We meet up and he hands me a baggie with the head unit in it, and the shaft. I asked him what happened and he said he didn't know other than he took it out of the closet and it made a funny noise,, then he opened it up and wires came loose.

I opened up the baggie and found it missing the battery cover, the connector nuts for the coil and the headphones, and plenty of disconnected wires. Lemme tell ya,,, I love to fettle with stuff and I like a good challenge,,,,, but this ain't lookin' good at all. I guess since Tesoro has closed their doors, having a parts machine isn't all bad.

20200218_173027 (816 x 612).jpg

20200218_173045 (816 x 612).jpg

20200218_173146 (816 x 612).jpg

GA1dad, I don't know if I've asked you this in the past, but are you from Georgia?

Spent a lot of years in Georgia,,,, currently next door in South Carolina. When I came up with the name/email address,,, I considered myself Georgia's #1 Dad

Must not have liked that pinpointed much. Bright side someone always looking for parts.

Must not have liked that pinpointed much. Bright side someone always looking for parts.

LOL,,, I can honestly say I never planned to ever use that particular pinpointer again. it was bound to be traded off at some point. I wouldn't have considered the trade if I didn't already have one to compare it to.

Today I established that the coil is bad, which I assume was the original problem. This is unfortunate since that part alone would have made it a fair trade from a dollars/cents perspective. However, I got the boards under some good light this afternoon and I'm optimistic that it may indeed be repairable. That is as long as that big old blob of solder didn't burn the board too bad. I'm unsure why he was even soldering there as there is nothing that connects there. If I can get the head unit fired up, I already have an extra coil I can put on it. ( Very optimistic, I know )

More to come,,,

Still have my tejon.. finally after 20 yrs I got an equinox 800.. tejon with a double d coil found many brass buttons at 14-15 inches which is still damn good even by today’s standard.. never forget the sweet sound of a local ga 24mm button at 17” deep, asked my brother to check with his “deep” fisher 1266.. nothing nada... then sweet brass sound deep on mine . Never underestimate that machine- bad to the bone still-

That looks totaly fixable. Look at the pcb and a schematic of a similar detector and match up functional areas then understand what the pots do and wire them up. You’ll learn alot and be proud of yourself. Trade ya a minelab pinpointer for it.