Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Notch

Frank L

Of all the different machines on the market, both inexpensive and whoa, nellie, which has the best notch capabilities, and why?

Frank L/TXZ

I can't see where 190 notches can be made any better on the White's Eagle, XLT, DFX and V3i detectors. (one for each VDI# )

Larrys right the whites do have a lot of notch. The only problem with notch is its not exact...you cant notch a target or a certain VID out completely without affection other targets that may fall close to it. Several machines now have LEARN as well. Its a great way to notch, but like i said you will notice good targets next to it MAY be affected and break up ie a nickel and pull tab. Thats why a lot of people are starting to open up the screen a little more and let their ears do the notching for them. Notching comes in handy thou especially at the wrap around point if you are wanting to run high sensitivity.

Dew

Im not the brightest bear in the woods and havent used the the Etrac. Are you saying i can take Ferr/Cond number like 01-31 and Disc that EXACT set of digits out? Which would give you that 1750 notch total if possible? I know on the SE i can LEARN a target... and GENERALLY disc it as well as use the small window to disc and make patterns. But if not done properly you have to work with the targets sometimes to get it just the way you want it because it affects other targets you may NOT want disc out. IE pull tab VS a nickel. Targets also move the deeper they are. Their TID changes based on most machines averaging of the target and factors around it, you have to know this or you may notch out a deep keeper. Notching is something you just have to be willing to accept that you may loose some desirable targets. A good many of the machines now have a learn disc... which is a huge improvement over what we used to have. Take advertising for what its worth.

Dew

Notching is not an issue with me since I hunt with minimal discrimination. Usually just enough to take out the worst of the iron and I listen to the rest and decide after the machine signals a target if it is worth digging or not. Just my way of doing it and that works well for me.

Jerry

dewcon4414 said:
Im not the brightest bear in the woods and havent used the the Etrac. Are you saying i can take Ferr/Cond number like 01-31 and Disc that EXACT set of digits out? Which would give you that 1750 notch total if possible? I know on the SE i can LEARN a target... and GENERALLY disc it as well as use the small window to disc and make patterns. But if not done properly you have to work with the targets sometimes to get it just the way you want it because it affects other targets you may NOT want disc out. IE pull tab VS a nickel. Targets also move the deeper they are. Their TID changes based on most machines averaging of the target and factors around it, you have to know this or you may notch out a deep keeper. Notching is something you just have to be willing to accept that you may loose some desirable targets. A good many of the machines now have a learn disc... which is a huge improvement over what we used to have. Take advertising for what its worth.

Dew

Yes you could only notch out 01-31 on Etrac if you wanted to. Leaving yourself 1749 more notches to go. Maybe you are hunting in an open field and you don't want to notch out anything. But someone has been dove hunting there for years and the #8 shot is everywhere and happens to be reading 01-31. You could either use the learn function to notch it out or open it up a little to like 01-30 thru 32, 02-30 thru 32. I notch out little if anything, even iron usually. But the OP was asking about notching so I thought I would inform him of the options he has with the Etrac.