Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nox 600 Q's or Alternaive

ND Digger

I've been using my 600 since last fall and now this spring and I'm just not real impressed. I bought the 600 to replace my Safari because of processor speed and weight. My best setting for depth in multi-frequency mode is Park 2, recovery speed 3 and Iron Bias 0, but I find I have to noise cancel, do multiple ground balances and have the sensitivity to the point of instability to get any depth in my coin garden. I can't field detect with the 600 being that unstable because of all the false signals. So, here is my question- is there a better setting for me to try or is there a detector that would be deep and fairly simple like my old Safari but have the faster processor for target separation? Or am I looking for a Unicorn?

I understand your frustration. I only hunt at the beach and although the XP Deus isn’t waterproof, for me, it’s been a better performer at the beach than my 800.
You may think the Deus is complicated but it’s not really. Once you learn to navigate the menu, you are on your way.
Good luck!

I have the 800 so if I mis speak about the 600 I apologize... I’ve had similar issues too in an old farm field hunt .. I got to the point that I found multi frequency just about useless as everything sounded good including iron.. I had much better success in 5 kHz and 10 kHz in park 1 as park 1 just seems a little better at canceling out the tiny bits of stuff.. also I’ve found 2 tone or 5 tone works best for me .. you might try recovery speed 4 or 5 with a little slower sweep speed..drop sensitivity setting one notch at a time if too many false signals .. like any detector I get great depth in cleaner ground but that soon goes way down in trashy areas..

I have tested the 600 and 800 since I bought them almost 2 years ago. I am no expert but according to my logs I am getting close to 3000 hours. I have dug 14" US coins and relics even with a sensitivity setting of 20 in bad dirt. I don't think I have ever had either one of my Noxs above 22 sensitivity even with the 6" coil since ground noise from mineralization most places I hunt is just to noisy. The deepest mode by far in my dirt is Park 2 multi with sensitivity 20 to 22. If you think you need more depth lower the 600's recovery speed to 2 or 1 especially if you don't have a lot of trash to contend with. How deep are you targets in you coin garden and how long have they been buried. Is there contamination from iron around your coin garden targets. Another possibility is to get the 15" coil. If your soil is mineralized (like three or four bars on an F75 or F19) turning up the sensitivity will not help. Going to a lower frequency will not help either. Personally, I would read the manual a lot if you haven't and I would do a factory reset and start over.

Jeff

My coin garden is 3-4 years old with a variety of coins buried at 5" and the same variety buried at 8". The only coin that I can detect consistently with a signal that I dig in the field is a 50 Cent piece at 5". I do think I have some electrical interference and since I have very sandy soil, my coins may have sunk deeper than originally buried. I'm glad to hear of the depth you are getting- it gives me both hope :) and frustration! :mad:

Hi,
If you have bad EMI you will have lots of chatter and jumpy numbers with the coil pointing away from the ground at sensitivity around 15 to 25. It is impossible to pick out a good target in that racket. Unfortunately there is also silent EMI that can be really nasty in the 5 to 20 kHz range. What area of the country are you in?

Jeff

i Didn’t see what your iron bias is set at.
two things that affect depth.
sweep rate too high you loose depth.
iron bias to high can cause miss deep targets
you never said what coils you were using. if you are using a 6” coil then you have to be more exact over the coil because of the DD and all coils if they say they are 6” 11” or 15” you don’t actually have the full distance of the coil from side to side or front to back. And if your off on the target you can miss it.
Doug

Unlike the Safari, the Equinox is a really high transmit gain detector. The transmit gain cannot be adjusted manually. It was made to hit every target possible from millimeter sized and up depending on your settings and target depth.

So, do you have lots of noise from EMI, from ground mineralization, heavy fertilization, manure or from very trashy ground? You need to find out which it is. Your settings will be determined by this. For instance, in very trashy ground that has lots of small man-made iron and/or aluminum fragments that are from virtually invisible to 1/4 inch iron/can slaw sized you may need to start in Park 1 or Field 1 (Field 1 for sure if there are burnt coal fragments.) Park and Field 1 according to the manual and from my experience will not hit very hard on tiny bits of metal since the multi-frequency weighting is toward the lower frequencies which are not as good for tiny targets. On the other hand, if you have bad mineralization Park and Field 2 maybe better for depth but try lowering your recovery speed one notch and if the mineralization is from iron you might want to use iron bias on at least 1. If you have mineralization from fertilizer you might want to try Beach 1 and carefully ground balance.

Your having to ground balance multiple times sounds like a higher or changing mineralization, fertilizer, manure or burnt coal issue to me. Also, running a detector like the Equinox at the edge of instability on noisy ground is not going to help you get any deeper. It is just going to amplify and smear all of the signals from whatever is causing all of the noise. The Equinox even at 15 sensitivity can go really deep even in badly mineralized dirt on coin sized and bigger targets.

Jeff