Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

NOX 800 Battery

MattBullSummerville

So my 800 has been setting around since I charged it about a month ago. Kitchen remodel has kept me away from detecting much lately. Started to go help a guy find his wedding band and the Nox will not power up. Charged over nights, turns on while connected, but go dead soon as charger is disconnected. Owners manual says this situation is a bad battery and needs replaced. Anyone had this issue? My Nox is just under a year old so it may still be under warranty. If not, where is the battery, hoping it's in the handle.

MattBullSummerville said:
So my 800 has been setting around since I charged it about a month ago. Kitchen remodel has kept me away from detecting much lately. Started to go help a guy find his wedding band and the Nox will not power up. Charged over nights, turns on while connected, but go dead soon as charger is disconnected. Owners manual says this situation is a bad battery and needs replaced. Anyone had this issue? My Nox is just under a year old so it may still be under warranty. If not, where is the battery, hoping it's in the handle.
...Your Nox is under warranty for 2 more years, you need to contact Jamie at Minelab and tell her what's going on. I had one that would not charge last year they replaced the complete pod housing. Yes, the battery is in the handle. Jamie will tell you exactly what you need to send in.

Yep mine just died would not power on only 1 year old Jamie had a new controller back to me in 6 days they just replaced it no questions ..

Havent seen that yet. I have let mine sit over winter for a 2-3 months and still had 3/4 battery when I turned it on.

This is one of the reasons I have not been happy with the equinox as a machine poor quality control. I've seen a large number of issues way to early on that are being avoided by minelab.

It needed more development time.

The warranty covers it. More than likely the problem is not with the battery, but the circuit card. Mine was put away for the winter 5 months ago, I top-charged it every two months, and haven't had any trouble with it. Contact Minelab as told above by others.

I don't know sales numbers, but I have a ton of friends with 'noxes (noxi?) and no abnormal quality control issues reported. Just like how you never know what you miss hunting, you get no feedback to the units that work fine.

pasttom said:
I don't know sales numbers, but I have a ton of friends with 'noxes (noxi?) and no abnormal quality control issues reported. Just like how you never know what you miss hunting, you get no feedback to the units that work fine.

Agree with you. The Equinox is quite popular at the moment, and Minelab is selling a lot of them. Even here in Alaska I have seen several people using the Equinox. I bought my 800 at the local Sportsman's Warehouse at a military discount. It was the last one in stock, so I didn't waste any time buying it. Also, it's only normal for a few of the new digital units, regardless of brand, to malfunction. But what Minelab is doing well is by having a 3-year warranty on the detector. The problem with the OP's detector may be related to the head unit not switching from the battery charging circuit to the circuit used for detecting.

That said, one thing I don't like about any detector is not having an option for using Alkaline batteries should the rechargeable battery pack discharges. Yes, I can attach a battery charging pack to the detector and use it that way. However, I am assuming that Minelab had not choice but to design the Equinox with a sealed battery pack to keep its 10-meter (?) water-proof integrity. If you leave swapping battery packs to the user, there is a greater chance for leakage to develop.

RayinAlaska said:
..... However, I am assuming that Minelab had not choice but to design the Equinox with a sealed battery pack to keep its 10-meter (?) water-proof integrity. If you leave swapping battery packs to the user, there is a greater chance for leakage to develop.

10 FEET, not 10 meters.

So repair service checked out my Nox 800 and it was not the battery. Guy said he installed a new battery the the unit was still dead. They sent a new pod out so I am up and running again.