Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nox-- first impressions

jkline

11 hours of heavy swinging on the 800-- I was using a modified AndyS for Park 1 and original Park 2, and went to a local spot I've hit pretty hard over a couple years. My plan was to dig everything, and everything was dug.

As I'm a glass is half empty kind of guy, I usually focus on the negatives, so bear with me:
manufacture seems cheap and brittle
miss how with a flip of the knob you can't compress the length by half-- handy in a compact car.
annoyed that you have to take the entire dirty machine indoors, to try to charge with that pathetically tiny charging cord. WTF is up with that?
you have to print your own manual-- asinine. Hell, we referred to Ronstars today in a parking lot.
nickel area loves copper and brass-- slammed Sharps and Cannon fuse brass that my other machines put into different categories.

On the plus side-- it is possible that target separation is better. Time will tell. Very llightweight. Man can it pick up the tiniest bit of canslaw in park 2. That will be swell for gold hunting. Surprised I didn't sniff out this merc with the etrac or ctx already.

Do I regret the purchase? Not sure yet-- not sure if it will replace my etrac and ctx, but I'm keeping an open mind.

Tickled that I knew that ring and merc were silver from the tone. Disturbed that I got a 34 reading that turned out to be a clad dime-- but from the tones, it didn't sound as perfect.

The one thing that is frustrating me and maybe you guys can help me out, as the manual isn't helpful: when I first got the machine and tried to program AndyS, it wouldn't let me. I only got to play with two tone bins. Exasperated, I did a factory resent-- then I could do that. Today I wanted to change some of the bins in the field... and it wouldn't let me. You know, when you click and hold on the tone break button, then it gets underlined... the machine wouldn't let me change anything but the tone1 bin. I wanted to move different numbers to different bins and change the tones of said bins... nope... wouldn't let me. So my question is, after you save a custom setting, I guess you can't change it? You must reset and start over? If so, that is ridiculous.

Anyway, hope this doesn't come off as too negative-- been putting out mechanical fires all afternoon, am furious at how automobile engineers design things, and I'm typing like a spastic thesaurus.

The inscription on the ring: WWJD? I'm like, WTF? My Catholic gal says, 'That's a cool 'what would Jesus do ring!' So that's what that is. As for the dime-- 1917. A lot of young boys died that year.

Best,

Attachments

• 20210613_174310.jpg
    20210613_174310.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 170
Thanks, that's what I did. However, I wanted tones like the CTX (I don't want high tones on nickels), so tried to change them-- nope, the nox won't let me. I have to factory reset, reset only park 1, or I can't do anything.

Does one have to reset to factory every time you want to change a setting after zones have been saved? Imo, that's stupid if that is the case..

11 hours of heavy swinging on the 800-- I was using a modified AndyS for Park 1 and original Park 2, and went to a local spot I've hit pretty hard over a couple years. My plan was to dig everything, and everything was dug.

As I'm a glass is half empty kind of guy, I usually focus on the negatives, so bear with me:
manufacture seems cheap and brittle
miss how with a flip of the knob you can't compress the length by half-- handy in a compact car.
annoyed that you have to take the entire dirty machine indoors, to try to charge with that pathetically tiny charging cord. WTF is up with that?
you have to print your own manual-- asinine. Hell, we referred to Ronstars today in a parking lot.
nickel area loves copper and brass-- slammed Sharps and Cannon fuse brass that my other machines put into different categories.

On the plus side-- it is possible that target separation is better. Time will tell. Very llightweight. Man can it pick up the tiniest bit of canslaw in park 2. That will be swell for gold hunting. Surprised I didn't sniff out this merc with the etrac or ctx already.

Do I regret the purchase? Not sure yet-- not sure if it will replace my etrac and ctx, but I'm keeping an open mind.

Tickled that I knew that ring and merc were silver from the tone. Disturbed that I got a 34 reading that turned out to be a clad dime-- but from the tones, it didn't sound as perfect.

The one thing that is frustrating me and maybe you guys can help me out, as the manual isn't helpful: when I first got the machine and tried to program AndyS, it wouldn't let me. I only got to play with two tone bins. Exasperated, I did a factory resent-- then I could do that. Today I wanted to change some of the bins in the field... and it wouldn't let me. You know, when you click and hold on the tone break button, then it gets underlined... the machine wouldn't let me change anything but the tone1 bin. I wanted to move different numbers to different bins and change the tones of said bins... nope... wouldn't let me. So my question is, after you save a custom setting, I guess you can't change it? You must reset and start over? If so, that is ridiculous.

Anyway, hope this doesn't come off as too negative-- been putting out mechanical fires all afternoon, am furious at how automobile engineers design things, and I'm typing like a spastic thesaurus.

The inscription on the ring: WWJD? I'm like, WTF? My Catholic gal says, 'That's a cool 'what would Jesus do ring!' So that's what that is. As for the dime-- 1917. A lot of young boys died that year.

Best,
So your first day with the 800 you found a Silver Ring... And a Silver Dime. And you unfamiliar with the machine..!! Humm..... Sounds like your off to a good start.

I don't know if it will help but have you got the latest firmware update, it just give's you something to try. It should be written on the box it came in. If you do update, factory reset before the update and immediately after the update.

I know fast, happy with any silver. My question stands: how do you customize a save customized program in the field?

Last edited:
Thanks, D.

Fwiw all, not complaining about the machine's detecting abilities. Complaining about its ergonomics mainly. In terms of quality, I think it is lacking. I understand why people are suffering from broken coils, buying custom parts, etc.

We’ve been finding a lot of 45-60 rifle brass and yesterday we started finding copper cannon fuses now on the AdLawn rather than the Arboretum. I know the first day jkline had the new beast out his first comment was it sure liked the canslaw!!! I was hitting the old IH penny, the Buff, a few wheats, and the gold ring in rather small section of lawn. The next day was a long scarce day, I hit 36 cents and a 1920 wheat and Jeff hit about 75 cents and the Merc. Neither one of us believe the area is fully void of good targets but they’re getting a bit more skimpy.

I dont think anyone expects to find a gold ring pocket spill the first day out with a new machine. But, if the machine is capable of having certain settings and conditions set then it should do that. When I researched and read and read about detectors, I knew the articles and field tests usually build up the detector rather than knock it down so read between the lines. End result for me was the F75 instead of the 600/800 mainly because the F75 is made in the USA and generally simple to run which it is. Not knocking MineLab or any of the others.

Not saying there are any errors. Just asking how to adjust a saved, custom program, without having to erase it and start over.

@F-- that's from a Sharps rifle. I think .58 cal. Found a ton of those yesterday. It is interesting that these shells often ring up as zincs on the ctx, and almost always as nickels on the nox. AndyS' ctx program has the cannon fuses about 12 24, so never dug one. They hit 13 on the Nox, so I was digging them like crazy-- in P1 and P2. Air testing is the same. So an early observation is that with etrac/ctx that a nickel signal is either a nickel or pulltab; with the Nox, it can be copper/brass items as well, which in some hunts will get frustrating.

Not saying there are any errors. Just asking how to adjust a saved, custom program, without having to erase it and start over.

@F-- that's from a Sharps rifle. I think .58 cal. Found a ton of those yesterday. It is interesting that these shells often ring up as zincs on the ctx, and almost always as nickels on the nox. AndyS' ctx program has the cannon fuses about 12 24, so never dug one. They hit 13 on the Nox, so I was digging them like crazy-- in P1 and P2. Air testing is the same. So an early observation is that with etrac/ctx that a nickel signal is either a nickel or pulltab; with the Nox, it can be copper/brass items as well, which in some hunts will get frustrating.
I see now that it is smaller than a shotgun shell… 👍

Well accept it for what it is...I didn’t really care for this machine first several times out..I can agree with you on the struggles of not having a paper manual to refer to in the field and ergonomically the 11” coil gets heavy quick.. just because it can be set up a certain way doesn’t necessarily mean we should... I got lost in the menu my first several times out..find settings that seem to work decent for where you are hunting and make small adjustments to get a little more performance.. for me park 2 is just too sensitive and often gives misleading TIDs .. coming from the Sovereign GT I wish the tones were warmer more pleasant sounding but it has found some nice stuff my others have missed..enjoy.. hope you get your car fixed...

Well accept it for what it is...I didn’t really care for this machine first several times out..I can agree with you on the struggles of not having a paper manual to refer to in the field and ergonomically the 11” coil gets heavy quick.. just because it can be set up a certain way doesn’t necessarily mean we should... I got lost in the menu my first several times out..find settings that seem to work decent for where you are hunting and make small adjustments to get a little more performance.. for me park 2 is just too sensitive and often gives misleading TIDs .. coming from the Sovereign GT I wish the tones were warmer more pleasant sounding but it has found some nice stuff my others have missed..enjoy.. hope you get your car fixed...
That's why I settled on field 2 to me it has just the right sounds I do switch back and forth to check targets in park modes but I run mine all the time with horseshoe on no discrimination.
I seriously would never complain about the performance of the Nox my finds especially gold are great! but build quality that's another story I've replaced shaft arm cuff with aftermarket..
Mark

.I can agree with you on the struggles of not having a paper manual to refer to in the field...
Wait, you would actually carry a paper manual with you when detecting? Come on man, this is 2021! Download the manual and keep it on your phone for fast, easy reference! With an added bonus of being able to search instantly instead of flipping though pages searching for what you are looking for! But if you really wanted a hard-copy manual, it's very easy to simply print.

Old man eyes, H. Some things I prefer on 'dead tree'. Imo, a manual should be in the box. Not everybody has a huge smart phone, are gadget savvy, or even have an internet connection.
I’m with you pay $800.00+ for a new detector and it should come with a manual!
Even though I never read much in mine I just started detecting and learned as I went I did print one up though just to have..
Mark

I’m with you pay $800.00+ for a new detector and it should come with a manual!
Even though I never read much in mine I just started detecting and learned as I went I did print one up though just to have..
Mark
And to me, the paper manuals gets my attention about as much as the Grand Canyon did for Chevy Chase in that movie where he nodded his head 3 times but then left for Vegas. I never have liked paper manuals. The internet is so much faster and more up to date. Jm2c