Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nox nickel hunts

sube

Been hunting with the nox in my pounded places i have dug 7 pieces off junk for each nickel beavertails bottel caps and pull-tabs they all read 12 to 13 not any different from the nickels only 1 wheat .Not much left here was fun anyways no high tones left .sube
IMG_20210831_173126.jpg
View attachment 18606

Cool hunt, congratulations on some oldies. Deep ones to I see by the red clay tint on a few.
I have done the same thing when high tones are few and far between.
Tony

Fantastic hunt!! The equinox nails nickels hard.

You did good on those old nickels.
I have found the Equinox to be very good at finding nickels myself, but I do get fooled on pencil erasers, and the little beaver tabs now and then.

The nox is so killer on nickels I always dig those numbers and 16 seems to be where I find gold ..
Mark

sube -- thanks for the post. I'm glad to hear your "nickel to trash" ratio. Everyone always talks about how "good on nickels" the Equinox is, but for me personally, I have always felt I must be missing something -- as I dig alot of trash at 12/13, when targeting nickels. So, hearing you report your "ratio," is nice to hear. I'm probably in a similar range -- 6 or 7 to 1. Glad to hear I'm not the only one... :)

Steve

sube -- thanks for the post. I'm glad to hear your "nickel to trash" ratio. Everyone always talks about how "good on nickels" the Equinox is, but for me personally, I have always felt I must be missing something -- as I dig alot of trash at 12/13, when targeting nickels. So, hearing you report your "ratio," is nice to hear. I'm probably in a similar range -- 6 or 7 to 1. Glad to hear I'm not the only one... :)

Steve
Yeah, in a modern day trash area that holds up. In older areas it probably doesn’t like private or woods type of hunting.
Parks here have plenty of trash. Now they even get those dam electric cigarette ends that might sound like nickels
Tony

Steve
Yes the nickel killer (REALLY) Well i have to give the nox credit it does id nickels to depth CTX and explorer models is good to 5 or 6 inches in my soil then the id is all over the place . But i still like the CTX on nickels i know when i have a deep nickel once past 5 or 6 inches it starts travelly the 12 line 12.09 to 12.30 back and forth aluminum does not get past 4 inches in my soil so i'm digging .
I dig half the thrash when using thr ctx now if i had a better pinpointer that went 5 inches deep i would dig 1/4 the junk i do now . (FOLDED BEAVER TAILS) always read deeper than they are so if i could pinpoint with pinpointer before i dig i could get rid of these the trx is the best i have found.

The nickels i found in this post were in places i did not dig them with the ctx other places where i did dig nickels one place i found 40 v nickels and 15 buffs i found no nickels (SO) i have faith in the ctx and prefer it to the nox .
(It would be intresting to see what thrash to nickel ratio are from other members .
I'm probably in a similar range -- 6 or 7 to 1. Glad to hear I'm not the only one... :)
Well Steve i guess i'm a rookie like you.
The ctx still has the advantage on silver and the nox on lower conductors that's why i have both detectors .But the nox gathers more dust than the ctx .Was nice to use the nox no boat anchor it well never beat the ctx in iding silver but low conductors is its nich . sube

Last edited:
Sube, I took up the nickle to pull tab junk ratio at a park I have hit with multiple machines and different frequencies. I was surprised at the amount of nickles I was able to find today.
I did hunt for high tones (quarters or better but nada). I hunted in Field 2 and switch from Multi to 4 khz ( I try 4 khz for multiple coin hits - I did get two today).

I was able to find nine nickles along with about a dozen pieces of aluminum tabs, either they were complete tabs or parts of tabs.
I only chose 12 and 13 signals when digging for nickles because in this park 99% of the 11 signals are small pulltabs.
One of the nickles was found right along with a dime at about five inches so that was a 4 Khz hit. The signal jumped to 37/38 down to 25/28. So I wouldn't count that one in the ratio.
So best guess is 8 to about one dozen tabs.
Tony

Attachments

• Sept 3rd 2021.jpg
    Sept 3rd 2021.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 79
Sube, I took up the nickle to pull tab junk ratio at a park I have hit with multiple machines and different frequencies. I was surprised at the amount of nickles I was able to find today.
I did hunt for high tones (quarters or better but nada). I hunted in Field 2 and switch from Multi to 4 khz ( I try 4 khz for multiple coin hits - I did get two today).

I was able to find nine nickles along with about a dozen pieces of aluminum tabs, either they were complete tabs or parts of tabs.
I only chose 12 and 13 signals when digging for nickles because in this park 99% of the 11 signals are small pulltabs.
One of the nickles was found right along with a dime at about five inches so that was a 4 Khz hit. The signal jumped to 37/38 down to 25/28. So I wouldn't count that one in the ratio.
So best guess is 8 to about one dozen tabs.
Tony
Sure, I have to say thanks for getting me out there - this was my first time dirt fishing since middle of June. Too hot and dry here in NJ
Tony

This post is interesting to me and I will have to do some testing too after it cools down.
Last year while using the Equinox, I found more nickels than I ever have with any other detector.
I had a Sovereign which was very good at giving accurate ID's on them, but I have found far more with the Equinox.
While I do recall getting fooled on beaver tabs, and pencil erasers, I did not think it was all that bad.
I also got fooled on some flattened bottle tops as sube stated, but not much.
With the Sovereign, I do remember getting fooled by erasers and the little beaver tabs, but not the bottle caps.

Was wondering if anybody uses the user button with the same pattern but gave the user pattern f9 for iron reject to check caps. I have done this and works quite well (EXCEPT WHERE THE STUIPUD BUTTON IS ) Wish it was on the face pad , THis makes my average better because i can get rid of most caps but not all . sube

Was wondering if anybody uses the user button with the same pattern but gave the user pattern f9 for iron reject to check caps. I have done this and works quite well (EXCEPT WHERE THE STUIPUD BUTTON IS ) Wish it was on the face pad , THis makes my average better because i can get rid of most caps but not all . sube
I have not used the user button, but I agree… it is not in an easy to access place.
I was thinking that F2 set at 6 would aggressively ignore bottle caps, but from what you are stating, even at the highest setting, some still come through.
I have F2 and 0 and have been using it like that basically since I started using it.