Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nox to legend

DigDog

Trying to get perspective on both sides
Was looking at entry level vanquish vs simplex not sure if this thread has any bias in favor of Nox but possibly looking now legend or nox 600
Im assuming both brands run simultaneously multiple frequencies which is mostly what im looking for but can’t afford $800 and up for a new detector.
Just getting back into hobby after 15 years
Any notable comparison’s
I have very little to basically no mineralization in my area and the beach will be hardly ever hunted. Which also wondering is it worth upgrading to a legend vs simplex i think garrett might be out not sure
Any suggestions thanks

IMHO --- The Simplex is a great machine, but if you are after jewelry I would think the SMF (simultaneous multi-frequency) of the NOX or the Legend is the way to go.
You will lose out on what I believe to be very important extras with the adjustments of tones, tone breaks, etc. with the Nox 600 versus the Nox 800.
I am still very new to learning the NOX 800 and I have not got out as much as I would like due to some health setbacks ,but...
...it is a great machine and no way would I have opted for the 600 due to No Wireless headphones, missing lots of very specific adjustments one can make with the 800, but not the 600.

My thinking is why not purchase in ahead of the curve and work your way forward, rather than buying behind the curve and then paying more anyway to upgrade.
I am rereading again for the umpteenth time the Andy Sabisch book on the Equinox, and have recently acquired all 3-books on the Equinox by Clive Clynick.
DirtyHands Relic Hunting has great tutorials on YouTube about how to use the Equinox and what the settings mean.
There is a butt-load to learn i.e. that the EQ is so damned sensitive your cellphone will be a big signal interference issue, you will have to find the sweet spot with reduced sensitivity versus ground balance, iron bias etc. to stabilize machine and get best performance.
Machines these days are extremely high-tech and buying backwards will maybe be easier to operate, but you will not likely find as much.
The SMF EQ800 for me finds lots of coins on edge, and coins in the same hole with nails and other metallic debris; yet the coin/ring sounds through along with the other crap!
So...
...there you have it.
Consider the Nokta Legend, the pricing is less and it too, is SMF.
For around $765 you get the stock coil and a 6" coil too and extra battery, etc.
I don't know too much about it, but maybe check YouTube reviews and online forums.
Please don't buy the Simplex. Although it is a wonderful machine, you will miss out (IMHO) on many targets that the SMF hits on.

TOO MUCH DIRT --- NOT ENUFF TIME

nwdetectorist

IMHO --- The Simplex is a great machine, but if you are after jewelry I would think the SMF (simultaneous multi-frequency) of the NOX or the Legend is the way to go.
You will lose out on what I believe to be very important extras with the adjustments of tones, tone breaks, etc. with the Nox 600 versus the Nox 800.
I am still very new to learning the NOX 800 and I have not got out as much as I would like due to some health setbacks ,but...
...it is a great machine and no way would I have opted for the 600 due to No Wireless headphones, missing lots of very specific adjustments one can make with the 800, but not the 600.

My thinking is why not purchase in ahead of the curve and work your way forward, rather than buying behind the curve and then paying more anyway to upgrade.
I am rereading again for the umpteenth time the Andy Sabisch book on the Equinox, and have recently acquired all 3-books on the Equinox by Clive Clynick.
DirtyHands Relic Hunting has great tutorials on YouTube about how to use the Equinox and what the settings mean.
There is a butt-load to learn i.e. that the EQ is so damned sensitive your cellphone will be a big signal interference issue, you will have to find the sweet spot with reduced sensitivity versus ground balance, iron bias etc. to stabilize machine and get best performance.
Machines these days are extremely high-tech and buying backwards will maybe be easier to operate, but you will not likely find as much.
The SMF EQ800 for me finds lots of coins on edge, and coins in the same hole with nails and other metallic debris; yet the coin/ring sounds through along with the other crap!
So...
...there you have it.
Consider the Nokta Legend, the pricing is less and it too, is SMF.
For around $765 you get the stock coil and a 6" coil too and extra battery, etc.
I don't know too much about it, but maybe check YouTube reviews and online forums.
Please don't buy the Simplex. Although it is a wonderful machine, you will miss out (IMHO) on many targets that the SMF hits on.

TOO MUCH DIRT --- NOT ENUFF TIME

nwdetectorist
Well thats why i was looking for a multi frequency detector that does multiple at the same time.
I thought all i listed were multi frequency simultaneously i could be wrong
Budget is another issue this will probably be my last detector not upgrading thats why trying to get most i can get now
New technology is sensitive and bit complicated as well dont want to spend the little time messing with settings constantly
I would go with a vanquish simple turn on and go basically but not waterproof
Waterproof with simultaneously multi frequency in price rande should be just a handful of detectors
Appreciate the input on your experience

I run both the Nox 600 and 800. You don't get wireless headphones with the 600 but if you water hunt then you need to buy amphibious ones. If so don't get the yellow ones they have too low of a volume for most people. They both do almost the same thing but you have more adjustments with the 800. I run pretty much the same setting on land in the field at the beach and in fresh water. Other companie3s are copying the NOx for a reason

I run both the Nox 600 and 800. You don't get wireless headphones with the 600 but if you water hunt then you need to buy amphibious ones. If so don't get the yellow ones they have too low of a volume for most people. They both do almost the same thing but you have more adjustments with the 800. I run pretty much the same setting on land in the field at the beach and in fresh water. Other companie3s are copying the NOx for a reason
I think definitely better to go with legend over the 600 at that point. They say it is even close to the 800 but compare the price. Not sure if you compared the two but guess where and what you are using it for. Heard Nox has issues with leaking if you plan to use it in water

My buddy Ronstar, who is out of town right now, but might chime in in a couple days, is playing with his new Legend. He does very well with it, and it appears to be a better build than the Nox, which I swung for awhile and sold.

My buddy Ronstar, who is out of town right now, but might chime in in a couple days, is playing with his new Legend. He does very well with it, and it appears to be a better build than the Nox, which I swung for awhile and sold.
Be interesting what he thinks

My detecting buddy bought the legend used it for 2 month's and was finding less targets than his Nox. He said if you use IRON BIAS it wipes out the target as well. The Nox finds targets that his Legend won't register. Almost everyone in our detecting group uses the Nox or Minelab machines. The others use Nokta Makro machines

My detecting buddy bought the legend used it for 2 month's and was finding less targets than his Nox. He said if you use IRON BIAS it wipes out the target as well. The Nox finds targets that his Legend won't register. Almost everyone in our detecting group uses the Nox or Minelab machines. The others use Nokta Makro machines
So can you clarify
How does one know you actually found less of something that maybe wasn’t there to begin with.
Did he go over an area with the legend then the same exact area with the minlab with basically the same settings, sweep speed, etc and then it registers?
Not knocking either one here but that is really the only way to come up with that analysis.
Like a test garden with known targets and equally go over it with both detectors.
Otherwise how do you know.
How many ads do you see for detectors claiming find stuff in hunted out sites.
I can see ground mineralization where some outperform others but there are so many factors like you have to go over the same exact square inch the same exact way, emi can vary different days, soil conditions that day wetter, dryer,etc.
I had a little test garden one time and used couple detectors then few months later went over the test garden with same detectors and registers different or not at all. Go figure. You can probably hit a target like a coin one day not dig it and not hit the same target with the same detector the next day. Even air tests vary.
Not sure exactly what it is but I think its almost impossible to exactly duplicate conditions day to day.
Hope someone else chimes in as well if they noticed the same
Again curious how they came to that analysis
If i said my buddy bought a mustang and he said he didn’t win races like he did with his camaro well would like little more details before i decided the camaro was the better car.

Honestly if you don't hunt salt water beaches I think the simplex would be a great machine. I do not own a simplex but do have an eqx800 and it falses plenty on the slope and in salt water. Definitely better than a sf machine but still falses . Just got back from a week of beach hunting. The one thing is when you get a good target it locks on hard.. a sf doesn't have that in salt environment from my experience. Much more experienced salt hunters here, this is coming from a guy who hunts salt two weeks a year. Good luck on you choice

Well I already have a legend, i live 10 minutes from the beach so chances are i will end up there lol.
I was simply replying on how they came up with the legend not finding as much as the nox
How do you know you didn’t find anything more with one detector than another?
Thats why i was asking how they came to that analysis.
Did they go over same exact targets on a test garden or something.
I really think it’s hit or miss with any detector. There are so many variables.
A very experienced user of a bounty hunter can go back over and find stuff an inexperienced person with a deus missed if they weren’t using it correctly.
And like you said some detectors do better than others in certain environments.
To just say across the board one detector doesn’t find as much as the other as stated would need some details i would think.

Your exactly right . I have gone over ground i and others have pounded and found good targets and I actually say out loud ( to myself😆) how the heck did I miss that before? Ground moisture, swinging direction other things a big factor. I’m reading comments saying you have to dig every target to find gold! So then why spend a bunch of money .

I was always taught and told you have to dig everything to find more especially gold jewelry because it can show as just about anything.
Some say well I don’t have time to dig everything. Well I guess it depends wht type of hunting you like.
If you are after coins then yes limit your digging. Personally i could care less for cons as where i am located you are just not going to find old coins anymore and clad is ok but just not something that thrills me. Id rather just find anything interesting and if course jewelry.
So to me anyway you have to basically dig everything. Why i never used a detector with a tid and numbers.
To each his own on what type of hunting they like. As far as people saying well i find more with this or that I think is a hard thing to prove as you mentioned and I experienced everything has to be exactly identical almost swinging two detectors at the exact same moment in time and location. As i said i had a test garden one day a detector picked up a target the next day it didn’t so what changed? The environment?swing speed a little off? Hight a little off? Off center by an inch?
Probably all of them.
I think detectors in the same category will be pretty close in performance settings aside. You might find one or two more targets with a detector twice as much but if your not going to dig everything anyway then what are you really missing

My buddy (with many years of experience) has had a 600 with 2 coils for a good year, he's put a lot of hours on it and really likes it. He bought a legend and said it does better. He's like me not married to any brand, we just cares about performance. I had the 800 and sold it, to each their own.

My buddy (with many years of experience) has had a 600 with 2 coils for a good year, he's put a lot of hours on it and really likes it. He bought a legend and said it does better. He's like me not married to any brand, we just cares about performance. I had the 800 and sold it, to each their own.
I think location has a big part in performance. Whatever works best for you and you enjoy using
Just like cell phone companies have dead spots
Some might like or not like a certain company but you use what works best.
If you like a brand so much that you are ok using it weather it works well or not thats up to you.

As long as you have the legend I wish you good luck with it. learn it and use it! As for me....I have the 600 and do well with it. No sense changing to a new machine when I do well with what I have. No offence intended but can we get back to discussing the Equinox?