Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Odd screen anomaly, potential problem?

nagov

Water hunting today, waist deep water, looking at the screen when a target was heard, I use the readers digest sized numbers, Everything was going along fine, no changes were made to my existing pattern and settings that I use almost daily yet all of a sudden, I hear a target and don't see any screen indications.....No target shown, no target trace and no target FE/CO numbers. Kept moving along and got another target tone and again no indications shown on the screen. Well, its a computer so I shut it down and start it back up and now I have all indications for the existing target. About 10 minutes later after a few more targets, again a tone and no indications shown on the screen. Again I turn it off and turn it back on.....this scenario repeats itself about 5 more times before I end the day and head home.

Coming up on 3 years using this machine and never have noticed this previously.

I tried to repeat the problem at home with no success....so now the question, has this happened to anyone else?

My thoughts are that it is a software/programming problem and my intentions are to do a factory reset and then load in all my programs again. I guess if it happens again, I may have to send it in.

Suggestions? Comments?

Cliff

If you have ANY warranty left, I would send it in. then sell it when it comes back and buy a new one with full warranty!

Wow, there's a reason to not buy used machines.

If the reset doesn't fix the problem, then Definitely send it in if you have minimal warranty remaining. Don't let anyone, including the repair guys (not that they would), talk you out of it. I'd be quick to duplicate the conditions of failure after the reset too.
Good Luck!

It isn't toggling to the Map screen by chance is it?

INSAYN said:
It isn't toggling to the Map screen by chance is it?

Well, you made me look at the manual again..... I never use the GPS so I had to see what the map screen looked like.... I don't believe it is the Map screen since I was still seeing the sensitivity panel on the bottom of the screen. I've done the Factory reset and loaded my programs back into the machine, I'll take it out tomorrow and give it a try....IF it does it again, I'll look at the screen a bit closer to be sure....I'll also take a backup machine with me!

Jason in Enid said:
If you have ANY warranty left, I would send it in. then sell it when it comes back and buy a new one with full warranty!

Yep, several hundred $$$ for a repair makes that warranty VERY valuable. Especially with the high resale value of CTX. If a person doesnt already own one and money is very tight, maybe it's worth the gamble to buy a used one. But if you already own one, it makes very good sense to sell and re-buy every 2-3 years.

Well, I did the reset all function and re-loaded my patterns last night. Today the first target in the water was a necklace (junk) and all indications worked as they should but shortly afterwards, I noticed that again there were no indications on the screen. (Definitely was still in the detect screen!)
Turned the machine off and all was well for a target or two then nothing....spent the rest of the hunt thinking I had a CZ-21 in my hands. In my opinion (knowing just enough about electronics and detectors to get me in trouble) I feel the control module that was replaced about 3 months ago has a video driver circuit (or board) that is malfunctioning. Time to email Minelab and tell them the story.....

FYI, I hear the target but see nothing on the screen except the tool bar on the top and the sensitivity screen on the bottom.....back light works. When you hear the target, you can pinpoint BUT have no visual indication of your pinpointing....you have to listen to the tone.....

Cliff

Have you tried to reseating the cabling under the arm rest? Maybe it's got a loose connection..

All connections were clean and tight, it is off for repair, sent it out this morning.

Cliff

nagov said:
All connections were clean and tight, it is off for repair, sent it out this morning.

Cliff

Good luck.. hopefully it's an easy fix and back to you soon :beers: