Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Off season other hobby!

Ronstar

So, weather went south and now snow and cold. Good thing hunting season for whitetail still open! Oldest son has been been back home three years running trying to get his first big game animal under his belt and so what happens today? Nasty storm dumped 4-5” heavy wet snow with 30 mph wind gusts, nothing moving.

He comes home every year and we pull the camp trailer out for 3-4 days. Last year we jumped elk and I had a tag but just couldnt close the gap to a more comfortable distance, 354 yards a bit far for my liking although the .338 is well capable. No shot and we lost them, he has a deer tag but nothing there either. This year? Nothing on the first trip over but this time whole family came along and we planned on two day push for deer now as elk season over.

Yesterday, as we tried to sneak in on crunchy snow I turned to check our back trail and we watched 23 elk cross the trail 140 yds behind us! We stood statue like and they didnt spook so that was fun. Today (Friday 13th) we left ahead of the storm for a morning hunt and almost fender thumped a bull moose crossing the highway! Got to our spot and found another 10 or so fresh elk tracks crossing the main trail going in. So hunting season saw abundant elk, one big moose and absolutely not one deer.

Thinking deer are turning out like gold rings, elusive!!!

Attachments

• 1CE557A3-6987-41C5-9D90-CB7FF2F3C46B.jpeg
    1CE557A3-6987-41C5-9D90-CB7FF2F3C46B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 251
I watch 'em right out my window every day. Last night when I went out to the barn there were several bedded down in my north paddock.
Haven't decided whether or not I'll take one this year, and of course a certain amount of luck is involved, too. If I don't see one big enough to be worthy of gracing my wall I won't bother.
In any case, good luck Ron!

Well kids are gone, made it back over Snoqualmie Pass with no delays. Son calls and says he likes hunting at 30 degree temps better than 60s. Looking at putting in for late cow elk tag lottery. I guess if one is going for meat might as well go big!!!! Now watch, next year will see a hundred deer and no elk!

How did everybody else do for hunting season? I mean there has to be a few stories here????

Hey now........ elk are just big deer!!
Tell that to the game warden. :ROFLMAO:

Opening day here was last Sunday. Today, shortly after I got home from work, I had five Whitetail Does in my back yard close enough to the house I could have hit them with a rock. I kind of provide them a safe haven, and have for years now. They typically have their babies behind my barn every spring.
Believe it or not, I learn a lot from watching them, which is something I do a lot. They also make great photographic subjects.

Getting A Bath.jpg

Last day of regular conventional firearms deer season was yesterday. About 30 minutes ago I had two young Bucks sparring over a group of Does in my north paddock. Neither was anything I was particularly interested in for my wall, and one even had one side of his rack broken off. Unfortunately, by the time I got my camera they had quit their squabble and moved apart.
I did get a pic of one of the little buggers, and I'll post it a little later on.

I finally took the SD card out of my camera and D/L'd a few shots I'd taken, including the one of the young buck that I promised.

Young Buck 12-01-20.jpg

My herd of does hung around all winter, with between 5 and 11 passing through every day.

Backyard Herd Winter 20-21.jpg

We live in a 100+ Year old apple orchard. Occasionally we used to get a few deer and a moose or two have wandered thru. After the mother in law passed her house and property sold and new neighbors raise chickens and ducks. They have two Great Pyrenees dogs (make that big fluffy yard pillows) that patrol all night. No more wildlife.

We live in a 100+ Year old apple orchard. Occasionally we used to get a few deer and a moose or two have wandered thru. After the mother in law passed her house and property sold and new neighbors raise chickens and ducks. They have two Great Pyrenees dogs (make that big fluffy yard pillows) that patrol all night. No more wildlife.
:rofl: :rofl:
Big fluffy yard pillows ,,,,:rofl:
I love that ,,,

These giant dogs are as gentle as butterflies in the daylight……..

Attachments

• 3E1EA52D-38F2-42CA-BF4E-479CFC8C35DA.jpeg
    3E1EA52D-38F2-42CA-BF4E-479CFC8C35DA.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 212
I like hunting and Hunting as a hobby can be one of the most lucrative hobbies you will ever develop. You don't have to be a master painter or a novelist to get a return, even a moderately successful hunter will easily pay for his/her hobby. Hunting is very challenging and rewarding on many different levels.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
See: https://huntingtopic.com/6-5-creedmoor-vs-7mm-08/

I'm a hunter as well going on 4 year's up here in southern Maine i use a savage .270 bolt action rifle took my for deer would love a lever action .308 got drawn for a moose hunt and man 838 pound bull was that the best time ever good memories for sure!!! I missed a big beautiful buck last rifle season I've kicked my butt many times for that one lol but it sure is fun! Also use a mossberg 12 gauge for rabbit and partridge fun fun.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1578781891548.jpg
    FB_IMG_1578781891548.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 180
  • received_511281119918163.jpeg
    received_511281119918163.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 189