Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

OK where's the Equinox stand with the gold issue?

Tyber0z said:
...Call ME paranoid, but I think many of active users in here are just on this board to incite suspicion.....

Tyber, they're just playing the "devil's advocate" to get people talking. Or as a way of forming a question . To cause people to come-to-the-defense, and ... in that process, get their question answered. But ... heck .... even if they ARE of the "conspiracy theory" mentality of things in life, .... ok, so what ? No harm done (as annoying as it might be), We all have our nuances and quirks.

Call ME paranoid

Paranoid LOL.

No really, All I've seen are good legitimate questions. That should be a good sign I would think. It means people are truly wanting to know, and that generally means they are truly considering buying one.

I would nothing better than to get rid of having to tote around two detectors. For years I've been looking for "My Precious". The one to rule them all LOL. The more you use one single detector the better you get with it. If you have to switch between several different machines you will never master one. Of course I'm sure there are many who claim to have mastered their machine. Experience has taught me if you use more than one with any frequency, you have not mastered any of them.

Southwind said:
I would nothing better than to get rid of having to tote around two detectors. For years I've been looking for "My Precious". The one to rule them all LOL.

LOL, that reminds me of my son. Before he was born I found a big, fat plain gold band while detecting. I have caught him on many occasions carrying it. He thinks its the "the one" after watching all the hobbit / LOTR movies with me :lmfao:

Jason in Enid said:
Southwind said:
I would nothing better than to get rid of having to tote around two detectors. For years I've been looking for "My Precious". The one to rule them all LOL.

LOL, that reminds me of my son. Before he was born I found a big, fat plain gold band while detecting. I have caught him on many occasions carrying it. He thinks its the "the one" after watching all the hobbit / LOTR movies with me :lmfao:

LOL

Jason in Enid said:
Southwind said:

LOL Jason! That is great! I "get" your son!

Meanwhile, Southwind, I would love for nothing more than the Equinox to be "the one to rule them all;" I'd also be glad to relegate my Explorers to "backup duty," and just swing "my precious!"

Seriously, though, the offspring of a Deus and an FBS machine, in the Equinox package, would be absolutely incredible. Wonder how close to having something like that the Equinox will prove to be?

Steve

The Deus is as close to My Precious as I've owned so far. Problem was it just wasn't quite there when it came to replacing my E-Trac. It had the depth but just not the target ID as informative as the E-Trac. Between the FE & CO the E-Trac made it more accurate on the deep coin ID'ing. I'm hoping the Equinox will do as well but it no longer has the FE. My hopes are it retains the same tonal abilities of the E-Trac. In my opinion, the tonal ability was better on the E-Trac as well.

When it came to comfort and a great gold/tot lot machine the Deus was miles above the E-Trac.

The final killer of the Deus for me was price.

I Had replaced my Deus with the Racer 2 but for reason I won't get in to I got rid of the R2 and got an AT Pro. It was the price difference why I went AT Pro and not another Deus. Both served my purpose as a great tot lot and basic hunter pretty equally, but the AT Pro was just cheaper. Neither quite stacked up to the E-Trac on those deep coins for me.

Southwind --

What you just said there is what I have heard from almost everyone who has a lot of experience with BOTH FBS, and the Deus....i.e. that the Deus is deep, maybe even deeper (raw depth) than FBS, but without the accuracy of ID on the deep targets, and without the "tones" of FBS. For those reasons, most Deus users I have talked to who are also FBS users feel that the Deus thus doesn't quite REPLACE some of the advantages FBS offers. CERTAINLY they feel it excels -- and hands-down out-performs FBS units in SOME sites, for SOME types of hunting, thus allowing them to find targets the FBS would likely miss on. BUT, they seem to all agree that it just doesn't quite replace FBS in a purely deep-coin-hunting-in-turf scenario. In other words, it's a COMPLEMENTARY machine (that out-performs FBS in SOME situations), but not a machine that REPLACES what FBS offers.

I really, really, really hope the Equinox can do this -- i.e. "replace" both the Deus and the FBS. I have serious doubts/reservations, but theoretically, it is do-able. I can at least imagine, based on what Minelab claims the Equinox has been DESIGNED to do, and then after seeing preliminary videos showing some of what the Equinox CAN do, that it will have a good chance of roughly equaling, if not exceeding, Deus performance. And THEN, we know FOR CERTAIN that Minelab can produce a machine that equals FBS -- they INVENTED FBS! So, theoretically, they should be able to produce a machine that is 100% to 110% Deus performance, AND 100% to 110% FBS performance. The question is, DID THEY accomplish this, with the Equinox? If they did...if the Equinox is 110% the performance of the Deus, and 110% the performance of FBS...then this is absolutely, in my opinion, a "game changer," without a doubt. Imagine instead of carrying two $1200-$1500 machines (an E-Trac, and a Deus), one of which is a BOAT ANCHOR, you can carry ONE $900 machine, and equal or exceed the performance of BOTH of those platforms (in an extreme lightweight, wireless, waterproof package)...

:surprised: :drool:

That's the definition of grand-slam, no-brainer, in my books.

Time will tell exactly how close to this "no-brainer" the Equinox actually proves to be...

I am highly skeptical, but cautiously hopeful. As such, I intend to verify the answer to this question myself, one way or the other -- yes or no -- once I can get my hands on one...

Steve

I have seen a lot people saying that the equinox simply CAN NOT be a top level machine, simply based on price point. I seen people angrily (almost seeming to be yelling) about how pissed they would be if Minelab would release a top level machine for $900 after they paid $2500 for a CTX.

All of it reminds me of Garrett long ago... I think it was the early 90s. There was a linear scale of price = performance with all the manufacturers. If you wanted to start out with a $100 detector, you got $100 performance. Then they released the first of the ACE series. It was a GAME CHANGER. It gave people $400 performance for $100 price. It was an immediate hit and it seemed like every bought one. I'm sure Garrett made a nice profit from selling 10 times the number of machines for smaller profit per machine.

Has it ever occured to people that this may very well be what Minelab is planning? A top performing detector at a mid level price would give them market dominance. It would become the "go to " machine like the early Garrett Ace detectors were.

Jason in Enid said:
I have seen a lot people saying that the equinox simply CAN NOT be a top level machine, simply based on price point. I seen people angrily (almost seeming to be yelling) about how pissed they would be if Minelab would release a top level machine for $900 after they paid $2500 for a CTX.

All of it reminds me of Garrett long ago... I think it was the early 90s. There was a linear scale of price = performance with all the manufacturers. If you wanted to start out with a $100 detector, you got $100 performance. Then they released the first of the ACE series. It was a GAME CHANGER. It gave people $400 performance for $100 price. It was an immediate hit and it seemed like every bought one. I'm sure Garrett made a nice profit from selling 10 times the number of machines for smaller profit per machine.

Has it ever occured to people that this may very well be what Minelab is planning? A top performing detector at a mid level price would give them market dominance. It would become the "go to " machine like the early Garrett Ace detectors were.

Jason, interesting, about the ACE. Wasn't aware of how all that happened.

Yes, I agree with you about the possibility that this will be what the Equinox does. I mused about this VERY THING in a post I made just a short while ago on this forum. It's long-winded, by lays out why I think it is a real possibility that the Equinox might be actually be a world-class, top performer DESPITE its price...

Steve

sgoss66 you hit the nail on the head. For years I've been looking for "My Precious" or Dream Machine and have yet to find it. Close are the Deus and R2, but both just lack that ability to tell you when you probably have a deep keeper. So I continue to carry around two detectors. The E-Trac for that really deep stuff and the At Pro for the rest. I am a little concerned that I have yet to see any tests on gold with the Equinox. And of course I don't mean some 11.10 gr monster ring, but that real life tot lot goods like a nice hollow small earring or chain. I've got a video testing a $800 piece of gold on the E-Trac and get nothing even with a completely open pattern. Depressing. Makes a guy wonder about their claim of running up to 100 kHz. 100 kHz would kill on small gold.

Yeah Jason I'd love to see Minelab break that price mold and introduce a $900 killer detector. Its about time for a game changer. A lot of companies have tried to make that claim but in the end they are just another detector.

Also add in the weight and balance. If it performs like and explorer or etrac in dirt and wet sand, I'm all in.

Hey, I got ticked when FT lowered the price to $500 on the F75, it killed the value of my older $1250 one.

I always loved the performance of Minelab but hated the ergonomics and cringed at the price each time I bought one.

Now, if this thing performs on wet salt at this price and weight, Count me in, no complaints here

JMHO

jtalley007 said:
Also add in the weight and balance. If it performs like and explorer or etrac in dirt and wet sand, I'm all in.

Hey, I got ticked when FT lowered the price to $500 on the F75, it killed the value of my older $1250 one.

I always loved the performance of Minelab but hated the ergonomics and cringed at the price each time I bought one.

Now, if this thing performs on wet salt at this price and weight, Count me in, no complaints here

JMHO

Yep, I think that was the biggest complaint when Minelab released the the CTX. Everyone was hoping for at least, a lightweight E-Trac and it come out even heavier. The saving grace is that it balances sooooo much better than the E-Trac does.

We are a tough crowd to please. Everything is a trade off. We want our machines to be strong as tanks but light as feathers, give us changable coils and headphones but be water proof to 100 meters. We want battery packs that last 40 hours per charge but don't add weight. We want them super fast in response but also able to see a dime at 20 inches. The more we push in one direction we naturally lose other aspects we want.

I am really pleased with the induction charging. People have asked for that ever since the CTX showed its problem with sand getting in the battery seal. Plus, I dont have to stop detecting when the batteries get low!

Southwind said:
The Deus is as close to My Precious as I've owned so far. Problem was it just wasn't quite there when it came to replacing my E-Trac. It had the depth but just not the target ID as informative as the E-Trac. Between the FE & CO the E-Trac made it more accurate on the deep coin ID'ing. I'm hoping the Equinox will do as well but it no longer has the FE. My hopes are it retains the same tonal abilities of the E-Trac. In my opinion, the tonal ability was better on the E-Trac as well.

When it came to comfort and a great gold/tot lot machine the Deus was miles above the E-Trac.

The final killer of the Deus for me was price.

I Had replaced my Deus with the Racer 2 but for reason I won't get in to I got rid of the R2 and got an AT Pro. It was the price difference why I went AT Pro and not another Deus. Both served my purpose as a great tot lot and basic hunter pretty equally, but the AT Pro was just cheaper. Neither quite stacked up to the E-Trac on those deep coins for me.

I'm learning the Deus now, its target ID is lame and I'm being nice saying that. But its ability to lock onto targets in heavy iron and trash blows Minelab out of the water. I dug my first hidden target with the Deus last night, at reactivity 3 it was still half hidden under the shadow of a nearby trash target.