Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old lantern part? Plus ornate piece of metal of some sort?

Explorer.se

I found these items today and wanted to know if anyone can tell me something about both items? These items were found at a home that was built in 1900.

Thanks for watching

What you have there is the operating part of a household kerosene lamp. In my early childhood that's all we had for light. I was raised on a farm and metal shortages from WWII kept electric lines from getting to us until 1952 ! That part sat on top of the base and held the glass chimney. It also held the wick. The knob you see sticking out adjusted the height of the wick.

The ones we (and our neighbors) had were like this one, still made by the same company (!), and they have become quite pricey.

http://www.aladdin-us.com/product/C6192

That little round wheel on the end of the stem that protrudes out of the main body is the wick adjuster. Sometimes the wheel is stamped with the patent date or the makers name. Take a close look at it and if it is stamped it might help identify the maker and or age of the lamp.

I think you are holding the decorative item upside down and it may be a hanger of some sort. It looks like it was attached to something by the two holes in the center and then something was hung from the holes on the bottom. Could be mid 1800's to early 1900's. The design looks Victorian / late 1800's.

Could be a drawer handle on your second item..

Architex said:
What you have there is the operating part of a household kerosene lamp. In my early childhood that's all we had for light. I was raised on a farm and metal shortages from WWII kept electric lines from getting to us until 1952 ! That part sat on top of the base and held the glass chimney. It also held the wick. The knob you see sticking out adjusted the height of the wick.

The ones we (and our neighbors) had were like this one, still made by the same company (!), and they have become quite pricey.

http://www.aladdin-us.com/product/C6192

Thanks for the info Architex, you just never know what you will dig up. Wow until 1952 huh, I was able to get a date of February 1877 as the patent date. This thing is old and it was a little over a foot deep to get to!

Thanks Architex! HH!

flinthunter said:
That little round wheel on the end of the stem that protrudes out of the main body is the wick adjuster. Sometimes the wheel is stamped with the patent date or the makers name. Take a close look at it and if it is stamped it might help identify the maker and or age of the lamp.

I think you are holding the decorative item upside down and it may be a hanger of some sort. It looks like it was attached to something by the two holes in the center and then something was hung from the holes on the bottom. Could be mid 1800's to early 1900's. The design looks Victorian / late 1800's.

Thanks Flinthunter yes I got a date of February 1877, wow that's the oldest relic Ive found to date. I cant wait to get back out there in a couple more weeks after my body heals. Boy it was tough digging in that ground as I was always confronted with a bunch of large rocks! But its ok its still well worth it! I also went on ebay and found one similar looking its probably the same one.

Thanks Flinhunter and HH!

Wick adjuster as previously noted. Car camping I still like to have a kerosene latern buring through the night over the camp site.