Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old man hit a jackpot and didn't even know it lol

Cutaplug

Lemme tell you a little about my Dad... He started detecting about 100 years ago and is primarily a coin shooter. After being a loyal Garrett user for about 30 years I introduced him to minelab and he now uses an E-trac. He doesn't have a computer and as far as technologically goes he's about as advanced as an African tribesman. Instead of learning the e-trac settings he just had me put it on a screen without much discrimination (I went with Andy S) and show him sensitivity and off he went. When he finds a good coin he just throws it into one of his buckets he has sitting around the garage or house and cleans them up when he gets around to it. No logging of finds or organization whatsoever :shrug:. Well, he called me last night and said guess what I found.... While cleaning up his silver finds from who knows when he discovered he had found and 1895 O Barber dime worth $400-$500. It still had dirt on it :rofl:

Your Dad sounds a lot like a friend of mine. The first time I was over his house he showed me a suitcase that he
throws his silver coins in. I saw seated and capped bust and barbers all sloshing around and I almost passed out right there!!
Tell you Dad Congrats on the 1895-O Barber dime. I found one in 1988 and I was doing Cartwheels across the field after I found it.
Happy Hunting!

AJ in PA said:
Your Dad sounds a lot like a friend of mine. The first time I was over his house he showed me a suitcase that he
throws his silver coins in. I saw seated and capped bust and barbers all sloshing around and I almost passed out right there!!
Tell you Dad Congrats on the 1895-O Barber dime. I found one in 1988 and I was doing Cartwheels across the field after I found it.
Happy Hunting!

That's awesome you found one before too. I'd give anything to run across one and I thought it was hillarious that he so nonchalantly picked one up and didn't even know it. He cracks me up cause he's so old school and like's things simple, but still able to pull a $500 coin :clap: Just goes to prove that with all this new technology it's still all about the audio signals and a little luck helps too.

Thanks for the entertaining story and congratulations to you dad on a great find!

NebTrac

That's too funny! Your Dad is so much cooler than I will ever be! I bet he has found some amazing coins over the years, Some that he even found twice :lol:

Sooper Dave said:
That's too funny! Your Dad is so much cooler than I will ever be! I bet he has found some amazing coins over the years, Some that he even found twice :lol:

He's found a lot of awesome stuff over the years. When you say "some that he even found twice" reminds me of a funny story of when I was younger. He was metal detecting at a park and found a small gold ring. I was only around 8 at the time and followed him everywhere and of course wanted to carry the ring after he found it. About 20 minutes later he found the same ring in the grass with his detector. I had put it on my finger and dropped it without even knowing :rolleyes:

RCDetector said:
Sooper Dave said:

He's found a lot of awesome stuff over the years. When you say "some that he even found twice" reminds me of a funny story of when I was younger. He was metal detecting at a park and found a small gold ring. I was only around 8 at the time and followed him everywhere and of course wanted to carry the ring after he found it. About 20 minutes later he found the same ring in the grass with his detector. I had put it on my finger and dropped it without even knowing :rolleyes:

That's a great story. Sounds like you got some very big shoes to fill, by the look of all your post and videos, you are doing a great job of it. :thumbup:

Ringo853 said:
nice story! does he scrap his silver?
Nope he doesn't scrap anything. Actually he's never sold anything so just another metal detecting horder.

therover said:
Your Dad detects for the pure enjoyment of it !

Great story and glad you get to hunt with your Dad.

That's exactly right =) And I think that's how it should be. The second you start worrying about the monetary gain then it becomes a job. I think it's so funny when I get all excited about a find and tell someone and they're like "how much is it worth". Well... the junk silver dime I just pulled is worth about $2.50 according to silver price, but the enjoyment of seeing that shiny silver coin come out of the ground after it's been lost for 100 years = priceless. Of course I don't tell them that. I just lie and say $50 :rofl: (just kidding).

That's a good one :rofl: my dad used to do the same thing he didn't care what it was worth, he just did it for the love of metal detecting.

all agreed.I love the american silver dollar.If anyone's got a 1876 or around that year dollar coin pm me,although I don't know how much they go for

The shame is that I hope your silver coins dont get scrapped eventually because they carry the burden of their scrap value

Ringo853 said:
all agreed.I love the american silver dollar.If anyone's got a 1876 or around that year dollar coin pm me,although I don't know how much they go for

The shame is that I hope your silver coins dont get scrapped eventually because they carry the burden of their scrap value

Nope, even though scrap value is $2.50 it's worth way more than that to me. I have the metal detecting OCD collecting horder mentality.

Sweet!!

Dad brought the dime up. After looking at it I'd say it's probably a $1,000 coin. Lucky old fart... What is the best place to send it off to be graded?

Congratulations nice find, i had my 1916 Standing Liberty graded by PCGS..i waited 9 years before getting it graded afraid to let it out of my hands. It cost around $100 shipping and insurance, find a reputable dealer your comfortable dealing with, the turn around time was not to long maybe a week. A lot of the bozo coin dears will try and dismiss the find say its damaged from being in the ground , a big hint don't tell them you dug it!!
W&E magazine might be interested for best find for the year as well, pretty simple just find a coin dealer who will say its real and get an estimate of value.
Good luck enjoy the find HH

MICHAEL

Thanks for the info =) Fortunately I take really good notes after hunting. I looked back in my notes and found a day that Dad and I went out and he found a spill with a quarter and two dimes. I noted that he found a quarter that was an 1895 O but didn't note the date on the dimes. I'm sure that's when he found it. He was probably so excited about the barber quarter that he didn't even pay attention to the dimes LOL. We were sidewalk hunting in front of some huge old houses and it was only the second time he used the etrac.