Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old park pops out a keeper!

Ronstar

Been a bit housebound with low temps earlier in the teens and highs in the low 30s. Kid was here last week deer hunting and first part of this week was busy. Snowed last night a small amount and exposed areas were clear by noon.
Decided to get out of the house and just go dig something so went back to the old city where I found the IH pennies and that 1925 Canadian nickel. Decided to work that same corner by a busy intersection and, well maybe, dig a $50 gold piece because tomorrow is my birthday. Hell, why not?
Decided to take the Legend and try Field, M3, in G mode to see what I might find. Ground is really wet but not mushy…….
A few minutes into getting a feel for things I hit a slamming 26 deep. Deep and sharp and repeatable at 90 degrees. Ok, nickels usually 25 as a rule but lets find out. Right at 6-7” deep I pop a nickel out, cant see enough to ID but hoping Buffalo or maybe war nickel. Rubbed it lightly and immediately saw a very clear V showing. Ran over to jkline who commented the detail was about the best he’s seen on any dug V nickels. Good ol spit got the junk on the front off enough to read 1906!
Once home used the catsup and then vinegar/salt soak and it cleaned about 80% of it off. Used dim flashlight at an angle to get the pictures. I’ll take it, Happy Birthday to me!!!!😂

Attachments

• 2F4BF947-09EA-4085-8724-4A4589E7D96E.jpeg
    2F4BF947-09EA-4085-8724-4A4589E7D96E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 172
  • 8D0746BC-A35C-4A8B-BF7C-47F1EB43201F.jpeg
    8D0746BC-A35C-4A8B-BF7C-47F1EB43201F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 179
Man, that really is a nice one, must have been lost pretty fresh. I am really liking M3 also. Not a $50, but a $2.50 Gold piece will TID just a little above a Nickle!

Been a bit housebound with low temps earlier in the teens and highs in the low 30s. Kid was here last week deer hunting and first part of this week was busy. Snowed last night a small amount and exposed areas were clear by noon.
Decided to get out of the house and just go dig something so went back to the old city where I found the IH pennies and that 1925 Canadian nickel. Decided to work that same corner by a busy intersection and, well maybe, dig a $50 gold piece because tomorrow is my birthday. Hell, why not?
Decided to take the Legend and try Field, M3, in G mode to see what I might find. Ground is really wet but not mushy…….
A few minutes into getting a feel for things I hit a slamming 26 deep. Deep and sharp and repeatable at 90 degrees. Ok, nickels usually 25 as a rule but lets find out. Right at 6-7” deep I pop a nickel out, cant see enough to ID but hoping Buffalo or maybe war nickel. Rubbed it lightly and immediately saw a very clear V showing. Ran over to jkline who commented the detail was about the best he’s seen on any dug V nickels. Good ol spit got the junk on the front off enough to read 1906!
Once home used the catsup and then vinegar/salt soak and it cleaned about 80% of it off. Used dim flashlight at an angle to get the pictures. I’ll take it, Happy Birthday to me!!!!😂
A $50 gold piece, well hell ya, why not on your b-day... I'm with ya on that.. that's a fantastic v nickel ya dug up. Ya done good !! Have a great turkey day.

Mark ( ohio )

That is one of the best dug nickels I have seen. Great find!

Thanks guys!
The history on that corner was it was a wading pool way back when and active until the mid 60s. This nickel was in close proximity to where I found the 1925 Canadian nickel. Early pictures do not show any huts for changing clothes but makes one wonder if putting clothes off and on is what caused the coin spills. Betting previous detectors were grabbing quarters and dimes and the old pennies and nickels were passed.
Im not done yet……

Wow!! That sucker is a beauty!! Amazing sharp detail to lettering and features!
Would you please explain your settings to me: Field, M3, in G mode.
What does this equate to for frequency, recovery, sensitivity etc ?
Most of all, Happy Birthday!! 🎂

Attachments

• D12D2FD4-5416-4F1A-818F-9C39A8F8BF49.jpeg
    D12D2FD4-5416-4F1A-818F-9C39A8F8BF49.jpeg
    798.4 KB · Views: 78
  • DEBB6470-3380-4895-A218-CD3EA0488BAF.jpeg
    DEBB6470-3380-4895-A218-CD3EA0488BAF.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 76
I was in Field in M3 (I do not know which freqs are in motion), I like G (rather than F, A, or C) as it notches out only 1 and 2. This allows me to hear those areas where I start getting into iron trash and seems to make trash targets otherwise get chirpy more. Recovery is 3 and Sens is max, and this seems to work well for my soil conditions here. Not knowing yet if Threshold actually works (until I get the update) I set it at 3 but there is no hum so I’m kinda assuming I just cant hear it yet.
I noticed yesterday that I was hitting deeper targets even though they were trash (a couple small screw/bolt with small nut and a couple aluminum can shards that were folded over numerous times to about the size of a dime, rang in as 47 and non ferrous. All these were in the 5-7” depth range.
All in all 2 quarters same hole at 2” and another nickel at 5-6” that rang solid at 25. Odd piece for the day was what we thought was a button (48 but it was a totally roached out zincoln.

Thanks for enlarging that! I keep getting file to big to load when I try that. If, one could make out the kernels on the corn at the bottom of the wreath on the back, that would have been chunk of change for nickel!!!!!

Last edited:
I was in Field in M3 (I do not know which freqs are in motion), I like G (rather than F, A, or C) as it notches out only 1 and 2. This allows me to hear those areas where I start getting into iron trash and seems to make trash targets otherwise get chirpy more. Recovery is 3 and Sens is max, and this seems to work well for my soil conditions here. Not knowing yet if Threshold actually works (until I get the update) I set it at 3 but there is no hum so I’m kinda assuming I just cant hear it yet.
I noticed yesterday that I was hitting deeper targets even though they were trash (a couple small screw/bolt with small nut and a couple aluminum can shards that were folded over numerous times to about the size of a dime, rang in as 47 and non ferrous. All these were in the 5-7” depth range.
All in all 2 quarters same hole at 2” and another nickel at 5-6” that rang solid at 25. Odd piece for the day was what we thought was a button (48 but it was a totally roached out zincoln.

Thanks for enlarging that! I keep getting file to big to load when I try that. If, one could make out the kernels on the corn at the bottom of the wreath on the back, that would have been chunk of change for nickel!!!!!
You are welcome Ron. I had to perform a bit of investigating as I was interested in your settings. I can see you selected the right settings for your conditions which netted a super nice "V" !!
Maybe next time you will see the kernels on the corn! You better bring a pair of clean shorts just in case lol

The LEGEND Recovery Speed setting can be adjusted between 1
and 10 with 1 being the slowest and 10 being the fastest

Different than the other modes, Park and Field modes offer 3
Multi frequencies as Multi-1 (M1), Multi-2 (M2) and Multi-3 (M3).
M1 is more sensitive to higher conductors while the M2 detects
lower conductors better.
M3 is ideal for humid, wet and/or conductive soils. It reduces the
effect of moisture in soils which can cause falses. It also weakens
the response of targets generating 10-11 IDs such as coke and
aluminum foil.

Ground Off Discrimination Pattern
In this pattern, the device will not receive ground noise
and will not provide any audio or Target ID for it. Target
IDs 1 and 2 are turned off (rejected) and the rest are open
(accepted).

It cleaned up nice with the vinegar/salt treatment. It's always a guess if the solution will help or hurt. Did you let it soak until the solution turned blue or did you take it out early? Nice looking coin!

When first dug the back was relatively clean and we could see the sharp detail, not so much the front. A little spit and gentle wiping and then I could see the date.

At home I first let it soak in a little catsup for about 30 minutes, every 10 I gently used a toothbrush to loosen the crud and once the heavy junk was off I moved to the white vinegar. Just enough to cover the coin I then used a salt shaker to guesstimate an appropriate amount. Took maybe another hour of soaking and brushing and most of the reddish brown discoloration was basically gone, water was a slight greenish blue so stopped at this point. I used a low power setting light to angle the light to make the detail show at its most and took the picture.
Right now there is a slight dullness to it making it hard to discern detail with the naked eye but very readable with magnification.
Going to check prices for professional cleaning.

When first dug the back was relatively clean and we could see the sharp detail, not so much the front. A little spit and gentle wiping and then I could see the date.

At home I first let it soak in a little catsup for about 30 minutes, every 10 I gently used a toothbrush to loosen the crud and once the heavy junk was off I moved to the white vinegar. Just enough to cover the coin I then used a salt shaker to guesstimate an appropriate amount. Took maybe another hour of soaking and brushing and most of the reddish brown discoloration was basically gone, water was a slight greenish blue so stopped at this point. I used a low power setting light to angle the light to make the detail show at its most and took the picture.
Right now there is a slight dullness to it making it hard to discern detail with the naked eye but very readable with magnification.
Going to check prices for professional cleaning.
At that point I use a good penetrating oil mixed with marvel mystery oil.
Like Kril oil. I've left mine in baggy with oil for months. Seems to just keep getting better.

Very nice finds!
Tacoma, Washington