Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old silver

doninbrewster

Got a call from a buddy who got permission to hunt some private property. House was built in 1786 so hopes were high. Property was sold a few years ago for $7,650,000. Evidently a lot of the yard has been moved around and we didn't find much in the areas we were detecting, but I did come up with a nice old silver spoon. Appears to be early 1800's. Anyone good with hallmarks?

That there is a dream find! :drool: Man! that yard should hold some other treasure!
Mud

Now there's the must find object on my list for this year. I've found a lot of plated but not the real deal dang it. Congrats on a sweet find. Gotta be more goodies to be har there. Best if luck and keep us posted!!!!!

Nice find. I found a solid silver teaspoon like yours. I cleaned it up and use it for my coffee.

Here's a link to a similar spoon being offered on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19th-Century-Coin-Silver-SALT-SPOON-w-mystery-marks-ARM-HAMMER-EAGLE-BUST-/161440739170?pt=Antiques_Silver&hash=item25969e2f62

They don't know the maker either.

bootyhoundpa said:
Cool find.. you might be able to trace those monogrammed initial s back to the original owner....
Actually the property was a farm at one time and the name was Westmoreland like in the last initial.

I don't know about first two marks
However I believe the last mark is a duty mark showing tax had been paid on the item.
It also shows the item was probably british in origin.
Using that assumption I would date manufacture of spoon to between 1786-1821

This link may help with further research.

british hallmarks

I love that spoon! Beats generic 20th century silver coins any day...unless you are finding only 1/2's & dollars.
Congrats!
HH - Bruce

Very nice find. It is probably not sterling and where it's from is a mystery.

I searched literally hundreds of coin and silver plate makers and could not come up with any of these symbols.

Definitely post any information that you find.

This is something I found on the arm and hammer hallmark.

http://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_T2.html