Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Oldest Coin & My First Large Cent (NWI)

hunter_46356

This one I put on my bucket list but never thought I'd find on in North West Indiana. Wishes do come true. Got out today after another rain shower yesterday. Ground is sweet for detecting and diggin. Don't know how this one was missed since it came from a public park that's been hit hard for years. Numbers where jumpy and the depth was jumpy too. Five to six inches to bottoming out. Popped the plug not a foot from a large oak and she was lookin at me from the bottom of a six inch hole. This might not seem like a bucket list kind of find but I haven't heard of many found in my area. Got so excited never did check the hole to see what was making all the jumpiness. Never even thought of it till on the way home. Guess I'll have to go back and check. Half dime's next on the list.

Congrats on your first LC!!!

Nice one..may have been an old home somewhere in that area.. large cents are always a thrill to dig up.. congrats.

Hunter, glad to hear you are emptying your bucket. That is pretty darn old and just plain pretty too. Congratulations, Good Hunts Ahead , CO

Congrats on your LC, those are few & far between in my neck of the woods, thanks for sharing!

A big congrats on finding your first Large Cent ! :beers:

Congrats on your first large cent. As large cents go, it cleaned up ok. The last large cent I found a couple of weeks ago was also 1846.

Not a bad cleaning job! Seems every one I pull is toasted, have one soaking in Olive Oil now from last Sat. I usually do the peroxide and end up with a copper disk most times. Good job and please comment on cleaning you did,
Thanks ,

I've had good luck using peroxide for cleaning wheats but had a terrible experience with the first IH I ever found. It was pretty toasted to begin with but after cleaning with peroxide it literally began to flake apart. I knew this coin wasn't going in a peroxide bath. If you look at the reverse side of the coin in the lower left you can see some green oxidation. Kind of figured the rest of the coin was going to be the same under the brown crud. All I did was soak it in warm water for ten min. then brushed it with a nylon bristle cleaning brush. The type used for cleaning weapons. It's a bit stiffer than a normal tooth brush. This got most of the gunk off then I followed with rubbing a spot of Dawn dish washing liquid on both sides and let that sit for 5 to 10 min. Warm water and another good brushing. Laid it out on the deck handrail and took the finished pictures while letting it dry in the sun. Finished by coating it with High Country, Beeswax waterproofing for leather goods. Find it in the shoe polish section of your dept. store. The coin will actually soak up this product and you can coat it a second or third time if necessary. I've had good luck with cleaning and preserving other IH's and keeping that deep green patina. So far it has not removed the patina. Got lucky and it worked on the LC too. I think it has everything to do with what kind of shape the surface is in to begin, whether peroxide is going to help or hurt your coin. I would use the olive oil on coins that obviously show the surface to be pitted and corroded as opposed to peroxide. The chemical action is bound to cause more problems with an already compromised surface. The Beeswax will give a nice look to anything metal and so far I've never had it hurt anything. In fact after several applications I've gone back on coins with a bamboo skewer and picked away crud that originally wouldn't come off. The Beeswax apparently softened it up or got into the metal and under the crud, just took a while.

You had better re-check that Hole, looks like a smaller coin was attached on the reverse. See How clean the reverse side looks in the center of the coin? Something nice is still down there. HH...Jesse W. McComas

Jesse W. McComas said:
You had better re-check that Hole, looks like a smaller coin was attached on the reverse. See How clean the reverse side looks in the center of the coin? Something nice is still down there. HH...Jesse W. McComas

+1

Awesome Large cent I completely lost it when I found my first so I'd definitely say bucket list item for me too:clapping: Congrats

Re Checked the hole...... it was empty. Did manage a wheat about 16"away, literally 3" under a crushed pop top. Found it with the 6x8 SEF. Starting to like that little coil in trashy areas. Actually walked away with over $2.00 in clad in less than an hour from a pretty tough hunted trashed up area. Deepest find was 6/7" but I think she'll do better.