Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

OMG William and Mary 1689 Gold Guinea!

chicagoron

After the great day yesterday with 5 hammie's and a 13th century drinking vessel spout I didn't expect much today. WRONG!

1689 William and Mary full Gold Guinea. in uncirculated condition this coin would be worth 7,500. pounds. Not that it really matters I don't sell anything!
Beauty!

WoW! what a find!!!

But me being a bit of a US coin collector your term of "uncirculated" eludes me on this one?

I had several US mint rolls of modern US half dollars and to make the grade of "uncirculated" the only marks on them can be machine marks and even then there is a grade for that.

Now, I'm not say your coin isn't uncirculated, I'm just curious in the difference of the term uncirculated being used?

Really Great Find For SURE!

Mark

:clapping: Fantastic find. Good job. :beers:

LoL!!!
After my post I was thinking a couple of hundred years of being in the ground makes it more uncirculated than circulated.

Now, looking back at your post its actually clear what you were saying,
the coin in uncirculated condition would be worth X-amount of money.

My bad!
But, that is an awesome find.

Mark

I used to collect things when I was younger. Than a oldtimer told me better for me to sell it than for someone I might not even know once I'm gone.

Incredible find, it eclipses my finds as the sears tower does a grass hut amazing find

Let's use these definitions when talking grading of coins...

(P-1) Poor - Barely identifiable; must have date and mintmark, otherwise pretty thrashed.
(FR-2) Fair - Worn almost smooth but lacking the damage Poor coins have.
(G-4) Good - Heavily worn such that inscriptions merge into the rims in places; details are mostly gone.
(VG-:geek: Very Good - Very worn, but all major design elements are clear, if faint. Little if any central detail.
(F-12) Fine - Very worn, but wear is even and overall design elements stand out boldly. Almost fully-separated rims.
(VF-20) Very Fine - Moderately worn, with some finer details remaining. All letters of LIBERTY, (if present,) should be readable. Full, clean rims.
(EF-40) Extremely Fine - Lightly worn; all devices are clear, major devices bold.
(AU-50) About Uncirculated - Slight traces of wear on high points; may have contact marks and little eye appeal.
(AU-5:geek: Very Choice About Uncirculated - - Slightest hints of wear marks, no major contact marks, almost full luster, and positive eye appeal.
(MS-60) Mint State Basal - Strictly uncirculated but that's all; ugly coin with no luster, obvious contact marks, etc.
(MS-63) Mint State Acceptable - Uncirculated, but with contact marks and nicks, slightly impaired luster, overall basically appealing appearance. Strike is average to weak.
(MS-65) Mint State Choice - Uncirculated with strong luster, very few contact marks, excellent eye appeal. Strike is above average.
(MS-6:geek: Mint State Premium Quality - Uncirculated with perfect luster, no visible contact marks to the naked eye, exceptional eye appeal. Strike is sharp and attractive.
(MS-69) Mint State All-But-Perfect - Uncirculated with perfect luster, sharp, attractive strike, and very exceptional eye appeal. A perfect coin except for microscopic flaws (under 8x magnification) in planchet, strike, or contact marks.
(MS-70) Mint State Perfect - The perfect coin. There are no microscopic flaws visible to 8x, the strike is sharp, perfectly-centered, and on a flawless planchet. Bright, full, original luster and outstanding eye appeal.

Or

Proof . A specially made coin distinguished by sharpness of detail and usually with a brilliant mirror-like surface. Proof refers to the method of manufacture and is not a condition , but normally the term implies perfect mint state unless otherwise noted and graded as below

Uncirculated . Uncirculated coins are struck using the same process as circulating coins, but with quality enhancements