Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

??? on GTI 1500 w/8.5 X 11 DD Coil

Can anyone give me feedback on using the GTI 1500 with the new 8.5 X 11 DD coil? I recently picked up a factory refurbished GTI 1500 with the 9.5 imaging loop. From digging into old posts I gather that this detector only gets about 6" on a dime. How much more depth can be gained by using the DD coil? I understand that the imaging feature is lost with this coil. Also does using the DD screw up the target ID and depth readings like other brands that have the machine calibrated to the stock loop? Does Garrett have any plans to make a DD imaging coil that would work on the GTI series?

This is my first Garrett detector as I have used Whites and Minelabs. But from what I've been reading on the Garretts, I am looking forward to using this unit for coinshooting.

Thanks in advance

Jim

The 1500 will get a lot more depth than you have stated. There is no such thing as an imaging DD coil. Imaging coils require one transmitter and two receiving coils, a confifuration you can't achieve with a DD coil. Stick with the imaging for awhile as it will grow on you and you can become addicted to it.. The 1500 is one of the best coinshooters out there as that is what it was specifically designed for.

Bill

I ran a 1500 for a few years and know for sure it will get a dime deeper then 6 inches because I've found them deeper. The deepest one at a little over 8 inches. Our soil here in Pa should be close to yours in Ohio. 6 to 8 inches no problem here with nice Belltone.

Thanks for everyones input. Due to being laid off I ended up selling my new SE Pro this last fall. So I am used to digging some deep coins with that machine. When the AT pro came out I followed the posts and was considering getting that unit. But when I learned about the imaging feature on the GTI's, I wanted the chance to try one out. Anyway, I picked up this unit, a factory refurbished with the full 2 year warranty for $450. For that price I can't complain. From what I've read here and on other forums the 1500 seems to be a pretty good unit for my type of hunting, but the reviews were mixed. Some claimed they were only getting 4"- 5" tops with the 9.5 loop. I've detected since 1979 with various White's detectors then moved into the Minelabs the last 6 years. So I know the limits to using the concentic coils in my type of soil. I do have some sites where the coins are really deep, and thats why I inquired about the DD loop.

Currently I am back to school full time at 49 years old retraining into the medical field. I have a job lined up for the end of February plus will still be in school to get my degree. So I won't be getting out that much to hunt. So for the $450 I feel I have a halfway decent unit that will keep me happy. There is just no way I would have $1200 - $1500 tied up in equipment that will sit more than it is used. So I feel the GTI is a good fit for the amount of hunting I'll do and my budget.

I can't wait for the spring to try this GTI out. I am really looking forward to using the imaging in some really trashy sports fields and increasing my chances of digging some gold rings, etc.

Jim