Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

One for Three...Three for one

jeffc

I received three calls this week for ring recoveries. The first individual had lost his late father's wedding band while fishing in St. Augustine. Three hours of searching the silty marsh produced nothing. Last night, I searched a lake for a 1 KT ring that was somewhere in a litter-filled body of water. Aside from several nails and a few coins, we came up short. I see an AT Pro or CTX in my future. The last call was for a gold ring that a man's daughter had lost in the surf. He contacted me at three in the morning and we were searching by 7 am. I brought two detectors and gave him a crash course in hunting. After an hour, he walks up with a sterling wedding band. Of course, I had to confirm that he was a newbie. Indeed, he was.

Since I had to leave for work, I left my CZ 21 with him (I rent detectors as a side business). Told him to hunt the outgoing. After five hours of hunting and on the verge of quitting, he was able to locate his daughter's ring. Oh, and a 14 KT yellow band. Of course, I was just as happy for him as he was. Then I went on to explain there is beginner's luck and there is also finding three rings in one day. I asked if I could get a few pointers from him.

Was I a bit jealous? Perhaps. But my jealousy was certainly overshadowed by the thrill of this young man and his daughter and what a special hobby this is. As a reward, he gave me the other two rings. Certainly a generous offer on his behalf.

Sounds like someone did a great job of instructing a Newbie. You Did Good.

Thanks, George. Funny thing is the lesson was all of two minutes. We were fighting the incoming tide and I only had one hour to hunt before heading to work. I told him if it beeps, dig it. He was using a CZ 7a Pro and I was using a CZ-21. I left him with the CZ-21 since it is mounted on a straight shaft. He scored once with the 7a and twice with the CZ-21! His daughter's ring was the last target of a five-hour hunt. I am just incredibly happy that he managed to find it.

A great experience for your friend....I think you got him hooked for life on this hobby and also made a great detecting buddy!!:thumbup:

What a great jester, giving you those rings. A day where 2 good guys met. Good story.

Amazing story.. I guess luck can be more important than skill and experience sometimes... a guy told me a story about a gentleman who gave 1st time metaldetecting lessons at the local community college. well you can almost guess where this story is going..10 year olds 1st beep and he digs up a large cent..

I was just happy to help and also be part of what I believe is the best hobby. It really does pay you back in more ways than one.