Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

One Little Indian and a Sweet heart

kozyman

Hunted fields today with my Golden..not much to show but I did manage an 1891 IH 1934 Wheat, some relics and a token for one free quart of milk from Mendon Ohio. Great weather for Dec 1st in NW Ohio. Thanks for looking!!

Isnt it strange how some pennys turn red and others green. I think all my Indian heads are either brown or green, never red.

Red in reduction of oxygen, and green oxidized, as a potter who has used copper to make glaze you get a copper red b reducing the oxygen in the kiln and you get green oxidizing it nice finds

As far as I know, IHs were brass or more brass than copper. Pennies as we all know were strictly copper.
Could be why the difference in color?
Well, forget what I just said. Apparently IHs were 88% copper 12% nickel.
Did you know that the IH was originally called a nickel or a nick? Because of the nickel in them.

Sweet Indian head penny.:cheers: The Golden

Indian head pennies from 1859-1864 were the 88% copper 12% nickel. At some point in 1864 the composition was changed to 95% copper 5% tin and zinc. Or at least what this is what I found on a couple of different coin collector web pages. They say the coins with the "reddish" color to them are the ones most sought after by collectors. Anyway.........nice finds as IH's and wheaties are always fun to find.