Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

One Room Schoolhouses

MedCityDetector

Finally was able to find some silver for 2020. I spent most of the 2019-2020 winter researching old one room school house sites in an old 1928 atlas. My friend and I got out last Thursday 3/19/2020 and hit one of those sites. The school house is gone and a plowed field has replaced it. I have found that the majority of the one room schoolhouses I found followed this similar scenario. I personally love this scenario, as it allows the deep coins to come to the service, on the flip side however, it also can push coins deeper than the level of your detector search depth. Every plow season brings new things to the service, turning a hunted site into a virgin site! Anyway, the day was successful. I found a 1900 barber dime is very nice shape and an 1873 Indian Head Penny is very nice shape as well. I was surprised to find the Indian Head penny, as I didn't think the site was that old and by the condition of
wQ1cwfeVRmS5Xv3D2rbx7g_thumb_602.jpg
the coin, it was an early drop. I would like to know other detectorists opinions on hunting old one room school sites.

One room school houses where also the center of social activities pie suppers, voting etc.. Nice saves on the coins!
HGH Jeff

Great hunt, and Congratulations.

Ive got one I hunt that has produced a pile of IH, but fairly limited on silver, a few mercs and barbers dimes and one Barber Quarter. But this has been a fun spot to hunt!

I'm thrilled to just find an IH but when silver pops out it's a pleasant surprise. My best find at an old school house field site was an 1875 seated quarter in beautiful shape. Headed out again in an hour or so to a new school house site. Maybe beat my best find, hopefully

One room school houses are perfect for metal detecting, lot's of excitement just planning the hunt not to mention the actual hunt.
Two really nice finds, I'd love to find either one of those coins.

Great finds and good job on the research !

We had (102) one room school houses in our county alone - that seems to be about the average.
From my research some of them remained in use up until the 1950's.
The thing to keep in mind is that even though kids didn't carry lunch money way back when - these school houses were often used for public gatherings.

Good Hunting !

Nice finds I’m sure there’s more !
Mark

Went to two new sites yesterday and pulled three beautiful Indian Head Pennies out, an 1868, 1886, and 1902. No silver today but I was thrilled with the Indians

I don’t find enough Indians silver outnumbers my Indians probably 40-1!!!

That’s a bad problem to have! I hit a couple more one room school sites and found another MINT 1904 barber dime and no Indians!
Where are you finding most of your schoolhouses, in Minnesota or Illinois?