Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

One way signals

jkline

Ok-- I have spent a couple hundred hours on the Nox now. One thing I have learned, in my conditions, that you dig a one way signal, as long as that one way signal is repeatable at 90 degrees.

On my ctx/etrac you are pretty much guaranteed trash with these signals. But over the last couple weeks, double fisting signals with my other ML detectors, if you skip those signals, you are leaving finds in the dirt. I would have left a SL quarter had I been using etrac/ctx rules. so, just a fyi.

Another tip: I find myself doing the usual minelab sweep, left to right, but if I don't go half the speed forward, compared to etrac/ctx, I'm missing stuff.

Now not crapping on the Nox. Just saying that to get its full potential, I have to slow my forward progress. It was iffy on two mercs today (in same hole at six inches) and 3 wheats, and was super iffy on a fourth wheat, that the etrac was pretty clear on all targets. Two Mercs gave me a 28; the etrac was giving me a 12 47. Wasn't sure what was in the hole with the nox-- possible silver; with the etrac, I knew I had silver.

I really appreciate the Nox's weight, after swinging a couple hours w/other MLs.

I have gotten some questionable signals on some old coins, but there is some thinking about it that tips me off that it could be a possible coin… more times than not, it turns out to be a coin.
You made some interesting comparisons.

your correct on the E-trac with one way signals... 99% of the time it's trash, but if I can even squeak a hint of a tone on the 90deg turn I dig, 90% of the time still trash...although I may have gotten lucky the other 10%. I only owned the NOX 800 for about 2 weeks... so cannot comment on that with one way signals...as far as the forward speed? I know I missed alot with the 800. I cover alot of ground with the E-trac and that may have been my biggest mistake trying to learn the NOX 800...I did not want to change my hunting style which works well for me... I know I did not give the NOX enough time, but I just cannot detect that slow...

Clarification-- Seated Liberty Quarter.

It's a big country, these United States. Lots of different soil and conditions. Just saying it would behoove all Nox users to check those 90 deg one-way repeatable signals once in awhile.

The Nox is an interesting machine. Not hating on it, but not loving it either--except the weight!

@gun-- I believe to hunt it right, you have to go very slow, otherwise you are missing things with the Nox. I feel I do go faster with the etrac/ctx. Anyway, I just put this out there for people new to the Nox-- everybody deserves some finds!

I don’t know if I’ve come up with anything good yet on a one way signal...always seems to be iron or last week in a park it was old pop caps from the 60s or 70s..they kept coming in as a 30 so if figure might be a quarter but nope just another 4” deep bottle cap.. however I did manage a 64 silver dime which was only an inch or two deep which blows my mind because I’ve hunted this feil many times.. I do the sign recheck at 90 degree angle.. I only dig if it repeats both ways or signal locks in solid on a number unless I’m farm field hunting then I tend to chase all iffy signals...

Here's another good example of iffy signals...I hunted an old football field for a couple of hours this morning. I was switching between Park 1 and Field 2 depending on the emi in the area. I found 4 very deep wheats that are what you would call iffy...ID numbers would bounce between 20-23 and did not repeat a solid signal as I circled the targets. I always do this! I measured the blade of my digger and it is 7 1/2" long. On those very deep targets,my TRX probe did not sound off. I used my Lesche digger to take more dirt out of the hole before finding the coins. On those 4 coins,I was in Park 1. The oldest one was 1913. I also dug some junk too! I thought about going back over the area with my Explorer SE with the 12x10 Detech coil on it. But I don't know....I have a lot of confidence and time in with my Equinox 600 and if there is a coin in the area and if I do my job,that 600 is going to find it. I don't mean to bore anyone with a reply like this but I know my machine is working good. I would like to see someone with an e-trac or a CTX follow me to see what I missed! Good luck fellas and HH! Ted

I want to hunt behind everyone that only digs one way signals only IF it’s repeatable at 90 degrees.
Over the last couple years with the Equinox, even if it’s only a one-way signal it’s best you dig it. I can’t give you a number on the amount of times this has happened to me. What I can tell you: you are leaving behind good targets!
Case in point: buddy calls me and asks me this very question about getting a nice one way signal then turning 90 to check….
They told me they do the same thing you are doing. If they get nothing on the 90, they leave it 😬😬😬😮😮😮.
I smacked him right through the phone 😂
I explained to him that if you are doing this,I want to hunt behind you.
He’s like, “really??”
I replied, “yes really!”
my buddy ends up going back to this spot that he’s hammered to death keeping my information fresh in the back of his mind….
Buddy calls me up and thanks me. He mentioned he came across a one way signal and nothing on the 90. He dug and scored a nice large cent 😮
Moral of all my post: if many are leaving these signals behind, please send coordinates 😂😂😂

Last edited:
If you have the 800 have you ever tried switching to one of the gold modes. I have found that effective in some situations.

To back up what Jeff was saying……. We split up a yard yesterday and he’s over there calling out nice finds left and right. Im thinking my turn here soon, nope. Memorials and one 50 year old nickel. Now the Fisher is similar in reactions, if its one way only and I change 90 or less what was the good signal gets a chirp on the end of the swing if its tabs or caps. I’ve dug enough trash now to understand that concept. The fishing lure I dug is a good example, it was solid dime one way and penny at 90 but both solid so I dug. If the numbers jump all over the place and nothing the same on the second swing I pass too, iron.
I only found one wheat on my side but when I was in the back of my area I noticed Jeff was tip toeing around my side like a kid about ready to steal candy. He declared I missed one Mem penny…….. so I let out a sigh of relief. All the good stuff was the luck of the draw for him as to which side we attacked.

Last edited:
My experience here in German fields is that if it is the 8-20 range on the meter one way, and nothing the other it is almost always a square nail, unless it is a weak, i.e deep signal. I also switch over to all metal, and usually get the low tone (<0) iron ring the other direction.