Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Operating the V3 without a coil connected

This may be a dumb question but I have to ask.

Over the years I have come across technical gear that is covered with warnings - DO NOT operate this unit without the antenna attached. Some of the warnings are quite rabid, and others are very suttle, but warnings none the less. In the case of the detector it too is a receiver/transmitter. While many do not realize this it actually is and I was wondering it operating it with the coil disconnected may be harmful. I find that when going through the menus and programming it at home it is better to remove the coil and shaft. It pleases my wife because I am not as prone to knock things over when the unit is downsized and is more manageable.

Thanks,

The Shark

The warning is usually on higher powered units and I don't think a metal detector is transmitting that much. I always leave the coil on because I'm from the old school too (KB9SE) but I have heard from others who take the coil off with no adverse problems. Maybe we can get an official comment from White's on this (Anne?)

It's been covered and as I remember it was Carl. The coil isn't considered an antenna. I'll see if I can find the post. It's OK to do it. I do it all the time. Rob

Thanks Gents! Makes me feel better. I love this detector (as much as you can love a non-organic device) and would hate to do anything to damage it.

The Shark

OK, I didn't find Carl's so here is the answer from rcsnake.

Having the coil off the instrument control box will not hurt the V3i as I do this all the time when working with the V3i.

Bob@Whites

ROB

I was wondering this just the other day, thx!