Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Opinions on 11"-13" coils please

I would like some input on aftermarket search coils in the 11" to 13" range for deep coin hunting in low to moderate trash and mild soil conditions.

Read some reviews on the Sunray X-12 that sound good, but this info is going on 8 or so years old. I'm sure there have been other good coils to hit the market since then.

These 4 coils look promising.
-Sunray X-12
-Detech ultimate 13"
-NEL Thunder
-NEL Tornado

Input and opinions please!
If there are any other coils that would also do a good job, feel free to enlighten me....

Hey Mark,

I put on a 13 inch Detech ultimate coil this year and I can't speak highly enough for this coil. I have only been out a few times this season to places I have hunted to death and have turned 7 silver coins and 4 buffalo nickels.
This last weekend I was hunting with a buddy that also uses an e-trac. I called him over to check out a single at about 10 inches, he couldn't pick it up. I dug it and it was a 1925 wheat penny. The coil goes deep.
It is also well balanced I can swing it all day.

Rick

Thanks roadapple I forgot about the separation

I have used all 4 coils. The Sunray X-12 was used the most briefly. I remember getting some deep mercury dimes with it years ago.
The Ultimate 13 was a very good coil with great depth and separation. I have found alot of deep coins and jewelry with it over the years.

The NEL Thunder and NEL Tornado are neck and neck for me. I have pulled very deep silver with both.
The past year I have stuck with NEL Tornado year so that gets my vote. In my experience the Tornado is slightly deeper than the Ultimate 13.

Time and time again i have hit pounded sites with it and it has surprised me. Some were very junky and when going slow
I was able to pull some very deep good finds with it. The unconventional shape of the Thunder took me a little while to get used to.
The Tornado seems balanced very well and i have been running it without a coil cover for about a year. I am able to swing the Tornado 8-10
hours without getting fatigued and the size advantage over the stock coil pays off at sites where not overwhelmed with threshold nulling.

Come on....Is there another ....Ultimate 13"...and a Sunray probe....You have the Best Silver hunter around!

mascard1 said:
Come on....Is there another ....Ultimate 13"...and a Sunray probe....You have the Best Silver hunter around!
That's right on the money ...... or should we say... silver !!!!

In my personal experience I feel like both coils are excellent with the 13 " ultimate having a little more depth and very good coverage and balance with very good separation ...

Indiana Mark said:
Thanks for the replies! Scored used X-12 and Ultimate 13". Hope to have some decent weather soon to try them out.

Get back with me on the X 12. I have one but really have not used it. Most my places are too trashy and I use the X 8 almost exclusively.

I’ve used the X-12 for many hours on my Explorer2 and it found a bunch of stuff. Great coil. I now have the Ultimate mounted on the machine for when it gets to go out,which isn’t that often. The ID capabilities of the CTX are just too much to not use. But for the time I have used the Ultimate,it seems like a really stable coil and feels good in the hand. I just happen to be partial to Sunray products,as the Explorer also has the X-1 attached. Lots of people love the Ultimate too,which leads me to believe the two are comparable in performance.

I have Detech Ultimate 13" on Explorer II and ETracs we hunt with. I really like them because I feel I get clearer signals and separation. Allows better decisions and I dig less trash.

Hi Mark!

Theoretically, the 13 inch Detech ultimate coil when compared to the stock E-trac 11" coil, should give you an extra 'solid' 1.5 inches depth on a 1 inch diameter copper or 95% silver coin. (moderately mineralised soils)

For smaller diameter coins in the same copper/silver class; multiply their diameter by about 9.75 to estimate their max depth of detection.....

For coins of smaller diameter, (e.g. half-inch diam.) the larger coils can lose their sensitivity, relative to the stock coil.......matt