Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Opinions

Nbywater

Hey guys, been metal detecting since i was a little boy. Just decided to upgrade to something way better. I’m stuck though. I want to do a little beach detecting but will mostly be doing ghost towN, park and desert detecting. About 25% beach detecting. I hear the AT Max won’t do well on the salt water beach, but some say the Minelab Equinox doesn’t have the features the AT max does but will work better on the beach. I’d love some thoughts. Stuck between the two.

Nbywater said:
Hey guys, been metal detecting since i was a little boy. Just decided to upgrade to something way better. I’m stuck though. I want to do a little beach detecting but will mostly be doing ghost towN, park and desert detecting. About 25% beach detecting. I hear the AT Max won’t do well on the salt water beach, but some say the Minelab Equinox doesn’t have the features the AT max does but will work better on the beach. I’d love some thoughts. Stuck between the two.

The Equinox has more usable features than the AT, the AT does have more coils available for it. I've been using the Nox for 2 years and have only needed the stock coil and the 6" for my kind of hunting. Of course, on this forum your gonna get more pro Nox input :)

Take a look at this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB5qP5ffVLI

I've run the AT Pro at the beach, and now run the Nox at the beach. I'll take the Nox for beach hunting.

I've also run the Pro, and the Nox in farm fields, parks, and around trashy sites. The Nox still wins my bid.

I gave the AT Pro to my brother.

The Equinox has the one “usable feature” that will trump the AT anything, and that is simultaneous Multi Frequency operation. Ground mineral handling capabilities are superior, target ID is superior, accuracy at depth is superior...and then you can switch to one of 5 other single frequencies should you choose to for whatever reason. The adjustability of the EQX where it counts to the seasoned hunter or the beginner is superior....it’s a no brainer. Even if you’ve never used a Minelab and have always used a Garret, it’s a no brainer. That being said, I’m sure you’ll choose the AT, cuz that’s how things go when I dispense advice.

Just a heads up since you are new here, unless something changed I don’t believe you’re allowed to compare Minelab detectors with other brands in the Minelab sponsored forums. You have to take it to the general metal detecting section.

That is truly great information. I’m not sure why exactly you would inject a negative comment at the end for no reason. I am definitely not partial to either and was looking for honest feedback. Could absolutely end up getting an Equinox 800.

Nbywater said:
That is truly great information. I’m not sure why exactly you would inject a negative comment at the end for no reason. I am definitely not partial to either and was looking for honest feedback. Could absolutely end up getting an Equinox 800.

It was meant to be more self deprecating humor than anything....but as far as the Equinox goes, it’s just technology in signal processing that allows YOU the operator to have a better chance of finding what you’re after. Very honestly, I’ve used a Garret ATPro for about 5 minutes in my life, and swung a GTP1350 for about 30 seconds, and that’s the extent of my Garret experience, aside from the pinpointers which I do like and have 2 of. As far as the machines themselves...not a fan. The ergonomics were off right away. I do believe you’ll be very happy with an 800.

Nbywater said:

Yes, this topic probably should be in the Main Comparison forum. Anyway, the only feature apart from more coils being available for the Max, that I can think of having not owned the AT Max, (I did used to own the AT Pro and AT Gold) is that the AT Max has a true All Metal mode. The Equinox 800 (not the 600) has two hybrid modes - the Gold modes which are mostly discrimination modes with a few features that are common with a true All Metal mode like VCO tone and adjustable threshold tones. The Equinox 800 Gold Modes are fantastic for gold prospecting and do well relic hunting too so even though they are not true classic all metal modes they are an improvement over true All Metal modes in my opinion, that you find on most detectors.

The features that the Nox has which the AT Max doesn't have is a substantial list and would be good to investigate yourself instead of basing decisions on mostly our opinions.

Jeff

This is just funny just watching.
A Volkswagen compared to a hi-tech Cadillac.

Doug

Nox hands down I’m in Ct and beach hunt all winter and the nox is my main detector it’s very good in mineralized sand.
Mark