Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ordering A Sovereign GT: Best Accessories To Get?

jbaja

Ordering a new Sov GT. Would really appreciate advice from you experienced Sov users before I order. What meter, coil(s), headphones and other accessories would you recommend and why. Thanks for your time.
J.J.

180 meter and SunRay probe.

I got mine from David Keith. He performs a modification on the SovGT that is good and it's free if you buy it there.

http://www.dixie-metal-detectors.com/minelabsovgt&quattro.htm (page down)

BTW, you will be happy with it. I have an Explorer SE also and I can find more with the GT. It is more stable.

J

Look here: http://www.dixie-metal-detectors.com/specialityitems.htm

J

J: Black Widow headphones from Gray Ghost/Detector Pro are excellent. S-1 target probe from Sun Ray. As far as a meter, learn your sounds first. That is a big key to any Sovereign. If you have questions just give me a call.
GH, David@Dixie

Thanks David. Just checked out the Sov mod link that J posted. Bought my Explorer II from you. Will give you a call before ordering.
J.J.

jbaja said:
Ordering a new Sov GT. Would really appreciate advice from you experienced Sov users before I order. What meter, coil(s), headphones and other accessories would you recommend and why. Thanks for your time.
J.J.
.........................................................................................................................jbaja, I think that an getting an original Sovereign Coinsearch 8 inch coil is important! Also get a 10 inch Tornado coil and a SunRay 180 meter! I know that there is a lot of differing opinion on getting the meter first but a few of us out here in the Treasure Fields are tone deaf such as me and it helps greatly on identifying the valuable targets!! On the beach, I would agree that the tones is more important than the meter but at a school yard or public park the meter is definitely an eye opener!!.............HH...............Joe

Thanks Joe. Have been reading lots of positive info on the Sov Coinsearch 8" coil and the SR 180 meter. Will order with the 10" stock Tornado. What do you think of the 8" Tornado , nobody seems to be saying much about it?
JJ

I'll do my best to answer all of your questions. I appreciate your business.
Good hunting,
David@Dixie

JJ, it actually measues 7.5 inches in diameter. Very good in trash. However, I'd get the standard 10" Tornado and the 8" CoinSearch coil. It is a true 8" diameter coil and is still excellent in trash and depth. I've been using one since 1992 and have one on my GT, XS and original Sov. I have ample supply of the CoinSearch coils. I bought all Minelab found in the warehouse when they did the last inventory.
GH,
David@Dixie

David, that combo sounds good. What do you recommend for a large coil? Went to your site via the link jbow posted, but could not find exactly what the mod(s) is that you do for $85.00? I'm interested. If this is crossing the line into a advertisement then please PM me. Thank you.
J.J.

The 10" Tornado is an awesome coil and will work in trash. There are only a few places I prefer the 8" Coinsearch over the 10" Tornado. The 10 just feel's so good with it. It is deep and has great seperation. The GT is a heavy machine but it is efortless on mowed grass. Just slide the coil along the surface and let the weight ride on your forearm. The grip can be handled with a finger if you want it that kind of hunting. I think I am going to take the mater off mine and just keep the SR probe and mount the box on some "load bearing suspenders and webbed belt".

Just a note, I have a friend who used to have a Sovereign that he used to hunt relics in cleanish ground. He told me that he regularly found minnies at 20" with it in AM. He said his friend sold his Explorer because it could not hear what the Sovereign was hitting. He was using the 10" coil. Hard times and he had to sell it....

Julien

Julien makes a good point about how good the stock 10" coil is. If you can why not wait for a while and see if you need anything for it at all. You might just like it the way it is and you might even not like it at all so Id say try it out first for a couple of months and then you should know what you will want for it, if anything.

HH
Neil

Your not crossing any lines here. I've been a long time sponsor of this site, so ask away. As for my mods to the Sovereign series, it is best described as fine tuning with a few things I do that enhance performance. Stability, depth, sensitivity and audio/visual (for meters) are improved upon. I have a long standing offer (since 1992), if your not satisfied with the mods, return it to me and I will return it to stock factory operation free. I even pay return shipping. So far I've never had to do this, accept once I had to reset the audio due to an owners loss of hearing high tones. Also, I must caution everyone that on occasion, I get Sov's sent to me that were purchased used as "having Dixie mods" added. Once I receive them, I discover I have never had my hands on them, let alone any mods being done. Mr Bill has been doing mods on various detectors for years and I'm sure he's run into the same thing.
Good hunting,
David

Thanks Neil, good point but, I'm pretty obsessive about having the right tools for the job. I'm not a weekender, I hunt full time. Having been a nugget shooter for many years I've learned you have to have the right equipment to be successful, there is just so much competition these days. I always want to have every advantage I can. You do bring a question to mind. Has anyone done a side by side comparison with the Coinsearch 8" coil and 8" Tornado coil? Heard allot of good things about the 8" Coinsearch except that it is not waterproof. Might be worth getting just as a learning tool as a couple pros have stated it gives nicer, bigger tones not short and chopped off and makes learning the Sov easier. Have not heard or read a single thing about the 8" Tornado? Anyone?
J.J.