Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Original sovereign coils

troyer

I have an original sovereign, the very first model mfg'd by mine lab. Apparently all coils made for all sovereigns do not work with the original.
Can anyone using one of very first models suggest which coil will work with it, presently I am limited with the original 8 inch.

I have an original sovereign, the very first model mfg'd by mine lab. Apparently all coils made for all sovereigns do not work with the original.
Can anyone using one of very first models suggest which coil will work with it, presently I am limited with the original 8 inch.

Attachments

• IMG_0074.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 112
Thats the first I have heard of this as all coils made for the Excalibur and Sovereigns are interchangeable that I have seen. Only those made for the Sovereigns and the Excaliburs . The coil you have is the Coinsearch which is a very good coil, but not waterproof and one I recommend for those that are learning how to use a Sovereign as it makes it easier to learn. This coil came on the original and the Sovereign XS and I know I used it on the XS, XS2, XS2a and even my GT so I dont see why any coil made for the Sovereign will not work on the original. Maybe someone tried a coil for another detector on the original and didnt work.

Rick

Thats the first I have heard of this as all coils made for the Excalibur and Sovereigns are interchangeable that I have seen. Only those made for the Sovereigns and the Excaliburs . The coil you have is the Coinsearch which is a very good coil, but not waterproof and one I recommend for those that are learning how to use a Sovereign as it makes it easier to learn. This coil came on the original and the Sovereign XS and I know I used it on the XS, XS2, XS2a and even my GT so I dont see why any coil made for the Sovereign will not work on the original. Maybe someone tried a coil for another detector on the original and didnt work.

Rick
What Rick says is the truth. ALL coils are interchangeable for all versions of the Sovereign. If you don't mind me asking, where did you hear that misinformation?
Rick is also right that the Coinsearch coil is not waterproof but is an EXCELLENT coil on the Sovereign and gets great depth and separation, especially for it's size (which is actually only 7 1/4"). It was, in fact, my favorite land coil for years.
As for a great waterproof coil that is similar in performance (even a little better in separation), the NEL Sharpshooter 6X9 coil is tough to beat and is relatively inexpensive. I personally use that coil with my Sov XS for 90% of my hunting.
When I need a larger coil for better coverage and more depth, I use the Nel Tornado 12X13. I'm a big fan of the NEL coils! I hope this helps. HH George Fatizzi

What Rick says is the truth. ALL coils are interchangeable for all versions of the Sovereign. If you don't mind me asking, where did you hear that misinformation?
Rick is also right that the Coinsearch coil is not waterproof but is an EXCELLENT coil on the Sovereign and gets great depth and separation, especially for it's size (which is actually only 7 1/4"). It was, in fact, my favorite land coil for years.
As for a great waterproof coil that is similar in performance (even a little better in separation), the NEL Sharpshooter 6X9 coil is tough to beat and is relatively inexpensive. I personally use that coil with my Sov XS for 90% of my hunting.
When I need a larger coil for better coverage and more depth, I use the Nel Tornado 12X13. I'm a big fan of the NEL coils! I hope this helps. HH George Fatizzi

I should have mentioned that I had my sovereign for several yrs and was satisified with the original coil.
I decided to update to a larger coil and purchased a Nel 12x13 however it only worked in the up and down direction and not left to right direction.
I notified the co. I purchsed it from and indicated the problem, I also told them I would sent the detector and the Nel coil to the minelab repair shop in Pa. to check out the detector and the coil.
The repair shop verified that the coil was not working with the detector. I then notified the co. from whom i puchased the coil from and they immediately refunded the money.
The repair guy indicated to me that maybe the very first minelab soverigns may have some different electronics in it and is not the same as the ones mfg'd after it.
The total charge to me was $65.00, however I am not complaining about the price.
I tried a few more times to contact the guy at the repair shop and ask a few more questions but he never returned my call, I am kind of left dangling here and would appreciate any help I can get.
Since then I have been inquiring wherever I could to find someone more knowledgable about Sovereigns and maybe know a coil compatible with my Sovereign.
I really can't accept that a quality detector as the Sovereign is only limited to the original 8" coil.
Thank you for responding to my post.
Al

I should have mentioned that I had my sovereign for several yrs and was satisified with the original coil.
I decided to update to a larger coil and purchased a Nel 12x13 however it only worked in the up and down direction and not left to right direction.
I notified the co. I purchsed it from and indicated the problem, I also told them I would sent the detector and the Nel coil to the minelab repair shop in Pa. to check out the detector and the coil.
The repair shop verified that the coil was not working with the detector. I then notified the co. from whom i puchased the coil from and they immediately refunded the money.
The repair guy indicated to me that maybe the very first minelab soverigns may have some different electronics in it and is not the same as the ones mfg'd after it.
The total charge to me was $65.00, however I am not complaining about the price.
I tried a few more times to contact the guy at the repair shop and ask a few more questions but he never returned my call, I am kind of left dangling here and would appreciate any help I can get.
Since then I have been inquiring wherever I could to find someone more knowledgable about Sovereigns and maybe know a coil compatible with my Sovereign.
I really can't accept that a quality detector as the Sovereign is only limited to the original 8" coil.
Thank you for responding to my post.
Al
You may have just gotten a bad coil. But the hot spot of ANY DD coil is always going to be like a narrow blade shape going north /south. I don't have any problem with mine and have the XS version that came out right after yours. If it IS the NEL coil itself that is incompatible you might also try a used Sunray S12 open black (not the solid white) coil. There are many coils available for the Sov. from both NEL and Detech. I can't see how the electronics related to the coil would be different though. You could also consider the Minelab 10"Slimline Tornado coil if you can find a good used one without the cable peeling issue. That was probably my favorite large coil to use but they are now awfully tough to find in great condition. Good luck in your quest, the Sov is a worthy machine deserving of multiple coils for the hunt! HH, George Fatizzi

First of all thank you for helping me out with these suggestions, I will start trying to use them this week.
I also agree that the electronics should really not be the issue here and most likely it was the coil itself. Too bad there isn't a way to call the factory that makes these as they were advertised as specific to all the Sovereigns.
I will keep you posted.
Al

Sure, sounds like a bad coil to me, was this coil new or used you got? over the years with the aftermarket coil I have seen a few of them won't work as good as the factory coil. The one that has always been good to me are the Sun-ray coils with the S-12 as a bigger coil and they make a S-8 also that is a great coil if you know your Sovereign well. I am one of the field testers when Sun Ray was thinking on a concentric coil for the Sovereign and tested the 8 inches, the 10 inch and the 12 inches with the 12 inch was very impressive and wish they would have made them as I wanted one. The 8 inch was good too and wasn't impressed with the 10 inch coil. . The reason that Sun-ray may not have made them is this was when the Explorers came out and everyone was selling their Sovereign and getting the Explorers. Being these to me worked well and weren't made I bought a like new ones a member had that Kellyco made that was concentric and thought it was bad and sent it back and got a replacement and it too wasn't that great.
I wish I had a S-12 around as I would gladly send it to you to try and see how it would work for you.
I had been using the Sovereigns since 1996 and to me it was hard to get to know it, but once I did it has done wonderful for me in so many areas that I was told that I wouldn't find anything as other hunters had worked it out, they were surprised with what i was finding.
I bought and sold many detectors since 1973 and the only one I kept was the Sovereign as what it can do. I will be trying the Legend this spring like Gfatizzi is doing as it will be lighter as the Sovereign are a bit heavy and this 75 year old body dont have the strength it had back in 1973.

Good Luck
Rick

Hi RIck,

The coil I had the problem with was a new one they took it back and refunded me.
Thanks for the reply and the information I believe I keep an eye open for some of the coils you mentioned.
In the past I had a few of the other makes of detectors but in my opinion none of those stood up to the Sovereign. It took a while to get used to the slow moving of it to be somewhat successful.
As with all hobbies I put detecting on the side for a few yrs and have recently decided to pick up the hobby once again however this time with a larger coil.
I will let know how I do with it, I just ordered a 15" detech from amazon, should be here in 5 days.

All model Sovereign's made use a six pin mic connector. The coil connectors are female and the control box uses male. I can verify this with all the 180 meters I probably made about 800 of them. HH Ron.