Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ORX tones

Architex

ORX has three breaks. Can tell me what VDI numbers are at the breaks?

Thanks.

6.1 through 64 is the mid tone on coins fast. If you go down to the bottom of the Deus thread page here on findmall you will see I made a thread and I created a simulated ORX coins fast program for the deus based off of the Deus fast program. Go take a look at it as you may find something there you may be looking for if your trying to figure out more on the ORX and make your own program.

Or just click here

https://www.findmall.com/read.php?83,2496689

Hey Architex, it looks like 0-24is low tone. 25-64is medium tone .And 65-99 is high tone. Just looking at the user manual. H H Tony

Architex said:
[size=medium]ORX has three breaks. Can tell me what VDI numbers are at the breaks?

Thanks.
[/size]
Therefore, in the two DEFAULT Coin programs w/o changes, The XP ORX had Two Tone Breaks to separate the Three Tone modes. A break between the Low and Mid Tones, and a break between the Mid and High Tones. That is when used in one of the 3-Tone Coin Modes w/o any changes to the settings.

With a change in the Iron Volume 'ON' and 'OFF' you can eliminate the Low Tone in the 'OFF' setting. However, the design of the ORX uses two words in the terminology that are either not correct, such as "Iron Volume", or not used the same way the majority of metal detector models have been used, and that is "Disc." or Discrimination. They also have eliminated one term for a separate control found on some models, and that is an adjustable 'Tone Break.' Instead, and not mentioned as such in their User Manual, is the one variable 'Tone Break' adjustment. That is the Low-to-Mid Tone-Break setting, often referred to as the Iron-to-Mid-Tone break-point that is incorporated in the variable Disc. adjustment.

The User Manual does provide a rough graph that shows approximately where the two Break Points are ... WHEN THE DETECTOR IS AT THE DEFAULT SETTING. That's on Page 06 of the ORX User Manual. It does not give a specific numeric VDI reference number, just a rough graph and you can kind of 'estimate' where the Two Break Points are. As I eyeball that depiction, it suggests the Low Iron Tone would be 'about' '24,' and the Mid-Tone to High-Tone Break-Point would be 'about' '63' or '64. That is how I would generally line a reference number up which hasn't been quite correct t how I see and hear targets respond around that upper Tone Break.:unsure:

Then come the problems. At turn-on, the two ORX Coin Programs are working in a 3-Tone mode, and long as you make no setting changes and leave the Iron Audio turned 'On.'

But, if you change the default Disc. setting of '7' too much either direction, you might be working in either a 1-Tone or 2-Tone mode all based upon where you set the Discriminate level. There could be two different 1-Tone modes, or there could be a 2-Tone operation. Many makes and models of detectors are made a bit differently, and that's sometimes based on why or how an engineer decides to make a detector, and at times it is by request or instruction from someone else. Let me use one of my favorite models for serious Relic Hunting in some debris-contaminated sites, the Nokta FORS CoRe.. This model comes with a 2-Tone function [size=small](Breaking at the Ferrous / Non-Ferrous Break-Point)[/size] and a 3-Tone mode, so let's compare the ORX and CoRe in 3-Tone.

The CoRe has two fixed or pre-set Tone Breaks to establish the 3 Audio Tone segments, and the first Tone Break is at the Ferrous and Non-Ferrous Break-Point. Therefore, all of the common ferrous targets will fall in the Low-Tone, or Iron Audio, numeric VDI range of 01 to 40.

With the Nokta CoRe, the 3-Tone mode is using preset, dedicated Tone ID Break Points. Those are internally 'fixed' in circuitry at a numeric VDI of '40', which is the Ferrous/Non-Ferrous break-point to determine the Low-Tone, or Iron Audio, and the Mid-Tone, then at about '80', which is the break-point between the Mid-Tone and High-Tone audio. Zinc Cents and Indian Head Cents have a comparable conductivity and numeric read-out at about 82 to produce a High-Tone. Separate from the pre-set Tone Breaks, the CoRe has a variable Discrimination that can be increased to reject or accept unwanted trash.

For example, a Disc. setting of '10' will just be accepting most common Iron Nails and targets of greater conductivity. That includes more conductive ferrous trash.. An increased Disc. setting of '21' will then be rejecting most common Iron Nails. You will, however, still be accepting some Iron junk that is more conductive than a setting of '21,' and producing a low-tone Irion Audio from accepted targets that are still in the '21' to '40' Low-Tone Iron Audio range. At a Disc. setting of '40' virtually all common Iron Trash will be rejected, or Discriminated out, and you'll only hear targets that fall in the Mid-Tone and Hgh-Tone TID zones. To most folks that would be a more 'normal' Discrimination design that is separate from a Tone ID and Tone Break design.

That example, with the Nokta CoRe, uses a fixed, pre-set Tone-Break. A different design concept would be the Nokta Relic which, like the CoRe, has a separate variable Discrimination control to set the desired rejection point for unwanted trash. And it also has a variable Tone-Break control instead of an internally preset design, and that permits the operator to adjust desired Tone-Break settings between th4e Low-Tone and Mid-Tons as well as the Mid-Tone and High-Tones when using the 3-Tone mode. Thus, instead of being preset, like the CoRe, the user can adjust BOTH of the Tone-Break as desired separate from also adjusting the desired Disc. level.

Regardless of where the user adjusts the Disc. level of rejection, it is totally separate from the Tone-Break setting that was either preset [size=small](CoRe)[/size] or user-adjusted [size=small](Relic)[/size].

[size=x-large][/size] Now, let's look at the XP ORX and how it uses a different circuitry design for its 3-Tone operating circuitry ... [size=x-large][/size]

[size=x-small]►[/size] As mentioned, the Default Coin Fast and Coin Deep modes, at turn-on, do provide a 3-Tone search mode when unchanged.

[size=x-small]►[/size] If that Disc. Level setting is at the default '7' then most common Iron Nails will be rejected. If the Iron Tone is 'On' or 'Off' will determine if you hear the low ferrous tone or not here the low ferrous tone.

[size=x-small]►[/size] ORX's Low Iron Tone or Low Ferrous Tone variable adjustment: This is the unmentioned part, at least in my User Manual that came with my ORX supplied with the 5X9½ HF DD coil. That Tone-Break is incorporated as part of the Disc. Level. control, and regardless of where it is set from '01' to '99' ALL targets at or below that setting are in the Disc. Level range and also assigned to the Low-Ferrous Tone audio since it is a setting at or below the Disc. point.

• Therefore, if you have the Iron Tone turned 'ON' and adjust the Disc. level down to a setting of '00', there are NO Discriminated targets and ALL targets will produce the same High Tone audio response. A 1-Tone response based on the Disc. Level setting.

• If you have the Iron Tone turned 'ON' and adjust the Disc. level down to a setting of '00', there are NO Discriminated targets and ALL targets will produce the same High Tone audio response. A 1-Tone response based on the Disc. Level setting.

• If you have the Iron Tone turned 'ON' and adjust the Disc. level up to a setting of '62' then ALL rejected targets below that setting will produce the Low, ferrous Iron Audio Tone. [size=small](Note, here I am referring to US Coins to include the common 5¢ 'nickel' and a Zinc or Copper 1¢ or 'clad' or silver 10¢ coin.)[/size]

With Iron Tone turned 'ON' you will hear 3-Tones and all accepted targets at or above that Disc. setting of '62' produce a Mid-Tone, for the 5¢ Nickel coin, or a High-Tone audio response for the more conductive 1¢ and 10¢ coins that register in the 3rd or higher tone range. Yet ALL targets below the Disc. level of '62' produce the Low Iron Ferrous Tone.

Turn the Iron Tone 'OFF' and it will then be a 2-Tone detector, beginning at the conductivity of the US 5¢ coin.

Increase the Disc. level to just accept the current Zinc 1¢ or Indian Head 1¢, and ALL targets at that conductivity or higher will respond with a single High-Tone, and all other targets with less conductivity will be rejected, producing a Low-Tone, Iron Audio, just like bits and pieces of ferrous trash. With Iron Tone 'ON' you get 2-Tone responses ... Low-Ferrous and High-Tone. There will be no Mid-Tone audio. Turn Iron Tone 'OFF' and it is then a 1-Tone detector with only a High-Tone.

Fortunately for me, I very seldom use a Disc. setting higher than just enough to reject common Iron Nails. For those who like to use a higher Disc. Level and try to deal with more problem trash targets, the XP ORX can become rather confusing from an audio standpoint.

I hope that helps and didn't leave you with too much of a headache.

Monte

Hi,
I have the ORX with the X35 9" coil. A few observations that are different from what has been said before.

The mid tone/high tone- break is 75 on my ORX. So in default Coin Fast with iron volume on and discrimination set at default 7, low tone will be from 0-7, mid tone from 8 to 75, and high tone from 76 to 99

If you have iron volume on or off and you lower the discrimination to 0 you will have a TWO tone detector with the mid tone from 0 to 75 and the high tone from 76 to 99

If you have iron volume on and you raise the discrimination to 75 you will have a TWO tone detector with the low tone from 0 to 75 and the high tone from 76 to 99

You can make the coin modes one tone by turning the iron volume off with the discrimination set at 75 or above. The only tone will be the high tone.

You can also make the coin modes one low tone by turning the iron volume on and raising the discrimination to 99.

I haven't had time to test and see if raising or lowering the discrimination level on the ORX has any effect on depth.

In really aluminum trashy parks I will sometimes set the discrimination at 40 and turn the iron volume OFF so that I only hear mid tones from 41 to 75 and high tones from 76 to 99.

Otherwise, the default discrimination 7 with iron volume ON works well for me in open fields and less trashy parks.

Jeff

I can't imagine that the engineers programed the ORX like that on purpose. The ORX is suppose to be a SIMPLIFIED version of the Deus. I think they need to do an update and make the Discrimination and Tone Breaks work like most normal detectors. JMO

Hi

I am kind of used to this way of doing discrimination/tone breaks since I also own the Fisher F19 and the Teknetics Minuteman. Those FTP detectors have similar set tone breaks with the iron break being movable like the ORX. It's not exactly the same, but pretty close. It is not complicated once one gets used to it. Mostly it is all about remembering where the mid-tone to high tone fixed break point is on the numerical target ID scale and going from there. All three detectors do not have target bins for notching out specific preset target ranges like iron, foil, nickels, etc.. The ORX has no notching at all..........

If you want complicated (at least for a new user or total newbie), try setting notches, tone breaks and tone pitches on the Deus........

Jeff

pine3874 said:
I can't imagine that the engineers programed the ORX like that on purpose. The ORX is suppose to be a SIMPLIFIED version of the Deus. I think they need to do an update and make the Discrimination and Tone Breaks work like most normal detectors. JMO

I’m “down” for that update!

The combined Discrimination and Tone Break function is the only really annoying thing I found. That, I wish, was different, but I don't see it being corrected with an 'update' because it would require the read-out and room to make that available. Be able to eliminate the audio or rejected/Discriminated targets and adjust a separate Tone Break that would only include and affect the accepted targets above the Disc. point.

Otherwise, I like the ORX for what it is and can do.

Monte